UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

I hope we get two sub tracks like 3.33 had
3.33's pair of subtitle tracks is a complete fallacy. I saw the film at Scotland Loves Anime 2013, and the "theatrical" subtitles on Manga's disc do not match the subtitles I read in the cinema.

In fact, the "theatrical" subtitles appear to just be the "home video" subs with the Japanese name suffixes removed and the background technobabble left unsubtitled.

As for the audiovisual contents of our eventual NGE Ultimate Edition, I would be very surprised if it wasn't simply all of the Netflix content put onto discs. I'd love to have the different versions of the episodes and films, but there's no way that's gonna happen: that would mean up to four versions of some episodes, three different edits of Death and two different edits of The End of Evangelion, three if you count Rebirth.

That's not gonna happen, and I don't begrudge that, personally.

3.33's pair of subtitle tracks is a complete fallacy. I saw the film at Scotland Loves Anime 2013, and the "theatrical" subtitles on Manga's disc do not match the subtitles I read in the cinema.

In fact, the "theatrical" subtitles appear to just be the "home video" subs with the Japanese name suffixes removed and the background technobabble left unsubtitled.

As for the audiovisual contents of our eventual NGE Ultimate Edition, I would be very surprised if it wasn't simply all of the Netflix content put onto discs. I'd love to have the different versions of the episodes and films, but there's no way that's gonna happen: that would mean up to four versions of some episodes, three different edits of Death and two different edits of The End of Evangelion, three if you count Rebirth.

That's not gonna happen, and I don't begrudge that, personally.

if it was discotek and it was within there power it probably would happen

this is AL we are talking about tho it may not be in there hands but they may also not want to allocate whats needed

but yea i kinda forsee netflix being a real drag on this one

I'm less concerned about intermediate versions, but as a point of principle I think that the way a work was originally screened / broadcast should always be offered as an option on the home video release alongside the most recent / director preferred cut. I've recently discovered that anime circles seem to want 'home video' masters as opposed to broadcast masters, which baffles me.

Now I don't think that's going to happen with Evangelion*, but if it isn't then I do think there should be an extra (whether a video essay or booklet) that details the differences between versions in depth.

*My personal ideal set would just be a straight port of the Japanese Blu-Ray set with the content of the Archives of Evangelion DVD set presented on SD-BD

I do think there should be an extra (whether a video essay or booklet) that details the differences between versions in depth.
Wow, how long have you got? 😅

The differences between versions of the episodes is very complicated: for example, for episodes 21 to 24, there's the original "On-air" version, the "Director's Cut", the "Platinum Edition" (aka "Renewal") version and also the so-called "On-air" version included on the Platinum/Renewal release that isn't actually the original On-air version at all but is instead the Director's Cut version with the extra footage chopped back out along with various other small, inexplicable changes.

Like I say, it gets complicated. 😬

My personal ideal set would just be a straight port of the Japanese Blu-Ray set with the content of the Archives of Evangelion DVD set presented on SD-BD
Yeah, that'd be the dream, wouldn't it? Odds, though? Probably close to zero.

Also: price. How many people would be prepared to pay what it would cost? And that includes Western distributors to license it. (See Netflix and "Fly Me to the Moon".)

And then that's only if all of that audiovisual content would even be offered for license outside of Japan in the first place.

Complicated...

Wow, how long have you got? 😅

The differences between versions of the episodes is very complicated: for example, for episodes 21 to 24, there's the original "On-air" version, the "Director's Cut", the "Platinum Edition" (aka "Renewal") version and also the so-called "On-air" version included on the Platinum/Renewal release that isn't actually the original On-air version at all but is instead the Director's Cut version with the extra footage chopped back out along with various other small, inexplicable changes.

Like I say, it gets complicated. 😬

I'm aware, but I have 5 cuts of Blade Runner and 3 cuts of Touch of Evil in 2 different aspect ratios so I think I can handle it :p

I have 5 cuts of Blade Runner
Crikey, there are five different cuts of Blade Runner? 😅
I think I was only aware of three.

For a two-cour TV series like Evangelion, though, total running time starts to become an issue. That's 26 episodes x 25 minutes = 650 mins approx (On-air version). Plus 4 eps x 25 mins (Director's Cut) = 100 mins. For Platinum/Renewal (which is what Netflix has, I believe)... well, the difference over the original On-air version is mainly just the 5.1 audio track, but episodes 21 to 24 have a different mid-episode eyecatch, and episode 23 has a significant difference in the video content of one scene, so this probably has to be presented separately as well, so another 26 eps x 25 mins = another 650 mins. And then the Platinum/Renewal "On-air" is 4 x 25 mins = another 100 mins.

And I haven't even added the films. The above already totals around 25 hours, just for all iterations of the series alone. 😬

Prohibitive? Yes, I think so.

I think most of what you're referring to could be dealt with via seamless branching or just presented separately in the extras but, to be honest, I've never thought that all iterations would be achievable or even desirable; we're obviously going to be getting the 'HD remaster' versions as represented on discs 1-5 of the Japanese Blu-Ray set, and beyond that I think the original broadcast versions (on discs 1-7 of the Archives of Evangelion DVD set) are the only versions of the TV series I'd like to see included and I think should be included on a matter of principle. Almost certainly won't be but c'est la vie. Episode 16 ironically looks better in its broadcast version than the botched attempt at HD upconversion on the Blu-Ray. One might be able to get away with one BD50 for the original broadcast versions in standard definition, but it certainly shouldn't take more than 1 x BD50 + 1 x BD25. I don't think that would be prohibitive...but it's probably a waste of internet oxygen, considering the chances of it actually happening :p

On another note, 5 years after this...

I can reliably say it's not Gunbuster anyway - sadly due to musical clearance issues just now :(. But we're very keen on it and keep checking in to see if we can help at all!

(I too, can dream...)

...Discotek announced last night that they'll be releasing Gunbuster in 2022. Fingers crossed that AL will save us the effort of importing!

On another note, 5 years after this...

...Discotek announced last night that they'll be releasing Gunbuster in 2022. Fingers crossed that AL will save us the effort of importing!
Wouldn't surprise me if they acquire all versions of the franchise (both OVA series and the compilation films) in one big ultimate edition set.

Discotek announced last night that they'll be releasing Gunbuster in 2022. Fingers crossed that AL will save us the effort of importing!
Wouldn't surprise me if they acquire all versions of the franchise (both OVA series and the compilation films) in one big ultimate edition set.
I haven't seen Gunbuster 2 or either of the films, so I would absolutely pay the money for an AL release of that.

I've recently discovered that anime circles seem to want 'home video' masters as opposed to broadcast masters, which baffles me.
Generally though, with modern day anime that's to do with either removing censorship that was added for the TV airings or fixing dodgy animation which was only that way due to it being rushed (we all know how horribly overworked animators are) so I can somewhat understand that. It is nice to have all versions where possible, but yeah, it's probably not practical in a lot of cases. I'll be fine with whatever version of Eva they release on BD, I still have my Platinum Tin.

Crikey, there are five different cuts of Blade Runner?
Six, if you count the US broadcast version. Seven, if you count the San Diego preview screening (and there still isn't a "perfect" version imo, since the Final Cut improved almost everything bar the scene with Tyrell and Roy, which I prefer in the '92 director's cut where Roy calls him "f*cker" rather than "father" and says nothing to J.F. Sebastian. It feels more in-line with his character to be confrontational with his creator than respectful).

Generally though, with modern day anime that's to do with either removing censorship that was added for the TV airings or fixing dodgy animation which was only that way due to it being rushed (we all know how horribly overworked animators are) so I can somewhat understand that.

Interesting. On one hand, I'm tempted to say fair enough but the purist in me still thinks that the version originally shown is what should be preserved regardless of intent.

It is nice to have all versions where possible, but yeah, it's probably not practical in a lot of cases. I'll be fine with whatever version of Eva they release on BD, I still have my Platinum Tin.

Which reminds me of a point I forgot earlier - while the Platinum set has already had a period of availability, the original broadcast masters have never been released prior to the (unsubtitled) Archives set which, to me, just adds to the argument for their inclusion. But, I know, they won't be 😆

Personally, I'm not bothered about all the different cuts of Eva. The only deal-breaker for me is if it doesn't have the ADV dub. It's not even a question of the merits of the dub itself, just that I've seen the show so many times with that dub over the decades, and I'd have a hard time separating the characters from those voices now. I found it distracting enough that Gendo's VA is different in the movies.

It's strange, you'd think we'd have heard something by now, the sale is over, just the last few days of EBs,
It would be useful to allow us to know what we have in store next month but they seem to think otherwise.
Last I heard from Discord they were still figuring things out. I doubt they want to leave us in the dark. Stuff just gets held up sometimes.

Back