UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Well if it is damaged in the post/in transit then they should be able to make a claim, so damage to box that is visible and gone through to the gundam seed boxset,
But standard royal mail parcels are only covered for £20 and the postage cost. So they may get some back I don't know if it is something they then get returned and like MVM and I think AllTheAnime then essentially call it a write off to the manufacture/distributer (or them selves as damaged stock say), and no idea if that is an option for UP1. But yeah SEED is well over the value of £20. so Would probably only really cover all that posting back and fourth
It's usually the sender that has to make the claim from my experience but it maybe possible to do it your self if they have no intention of doing it.

I would take photos of both content damage and the box it was posted in and damage, in case something can be done in regards to a claim.

Are you paying return Postage?, as well as replacement item postage for replacement as well (although not if you just get the refund option)?, so 2/3 postage fees?
It was sent recorded so it's shipping plus £50
There covering the cost of shipping it to me now (I believe that is because of me mentioning it on here though. I have to pay the return costs though.

If an item is not of "satisfactory quality", and I think it would be hard to argue against that description with cosmetic damage to a collector's item, then you should get a replacement at no additional cost to you.

It's crap for the retailer who's probably done nothing wrong, but that's the law.

On a related note, can anyone locate information about the 14-day cooling off period under distance selling regulations on AL's webshop? The FAQ states that returns are accepted for faulty items only, which would not be legal. But I don't want to email them about this if I've happened to miss it somewhere.

Situations like this is why Amazon is taking over the online market. Anything you send back to them is paid for by them. You get your refunds, you get replacements with minimal hassle (I am aware there has been some expections to this but for the most part I've heard and experienced good things)
Hearing stuff like this just puts me off other retailers, which is bad. Having to go back and forth to argue your case on the cost of shipping? Pathetic. I've never bought anything off UP1 before and I sure as hell aint touching it now.

I'm sorry you had to go through that Denny, especially on an expensive item too. Customer service really needs to be better across the board.

Situations like this is why Amazon is taking over the online market. Anything you send back to them is paid for by them.
Provided you have a printer to print out a returns label and are able to be at home for a delivery driver to collect it if it won't go in a post box. I had a fairly major barney with Amazon over both of these points recently, which ended with them giving up and just leaving me with the damaged goods in my possession. But if I hadn't fought I may well have ended up severely out of pocket or being forced to shell out for a printer just to send their damaged goods back.

I've also been offered non printable label options when sending items back as well. I just take the printer option because it's easier for me to stick it on a box.
I'm not saying Amazon are perfect but they're a lot better than most. I mean, at least they have the option of sending it back to them for free with tracking which is already more than what other retailers seem to offer 🤷‍♀️

@ayase

Does your local PO not have the ability to print labels for you? They scan a QR code off my phone and that's it. I do have a printer but not using my own ink...
I don't know if it matters, but it was fulfilled by Amazon from a seller and it wasn't RM, it was some other courier Amazon sent to my house to pick up the parcel. Which, without even asking me, they booked for a time I wasn't at home and also failed to tell me I would have to print a returns label for. So the next time they booked it I was at home, but the courier still couldn't take the parcel because I couldn't print a label. All because the customer support guy (who I thought at the time was very pleasant and helpful) basically failed to tell me anything about the process (iirc the extent of it was "we will arrange for pickup"). But he still issued me with an immediate refund before I'd even sent the goods back, and in doing so gave me probably the best bargaining chip I had as I immediately spent it on a replacement leaving Amazon with no way of revoking it. All's well that ends well.

Last edited:
It was sent recorded so it's shipping plus £50
There covering the cost of shipping it to me now (I believe that is because of me mentioning it on here though. I have to pay the return costs though.

Reminds me of some RAM I had to send back to Corsair recently.

As I didn't want to have no RAM for long, I did an Advanced RMA. For this you pay for it again, then they send you a new kit out, then you return the old one, and finally a refund is sent back.

All fine, new kit arrived but had the same fault as the old one, so I sent it back anyway. As the Advanced RMA payment could only be made in $'s I wound up being £8 down due to £ to $ conversion!

This is a total blind buy but I'm more certain I will enjoy this one after research than I was with VE so I'm in. £35 with my screen anime giftcard and anime unlimited code.

I lost £400 on a drawing tablet that didn't work cuz when I sent it back to Amazon via Hermes Courier (one of the official options - wasn't sure if my local Royal Mail had a label printing service from the search I did, so I didn't use them, whereas I could print the Hermes return label myself), someone obviously stole the tablet in return transit as Amazon then told me they had received an empty box! Thankfully it didn't bankrupt me but that was awful. I mean I do still buy some things from them cuz sometimes they're the only or by far cheapest option but still... ugh. Also I don't have a credit card just a debit card (and I don't want a credit card cuz I emphatically do not want any debt), but I might remember someone on here telling me at the time it happened that there's something you can do to get the money back via the credit card if you paid with one? Honestly I don't know much about bigg grownup adulting finances for a 32 year old (but hey, at least I'm not in debt...) :( Passing on Penguindrum as I said I would to avoid going too close to my financial quick but I hope it sells well for AL, it was an interesting series :)

I lost £400 on a drawing tablet that didn't work cuz when I sent it back to Amazon via Hermes Courier (one of the official options - wasn't sure if my local Royal Mail had a label printing service from the search I did, so I didn't use them, whereas I could print the Hermes return label myself), someone obviously stole the tablet in return transit as Amazon then told me they had received an empty box! Thankfully it didn't bankrupt me but that was awful. I mean I do still buy some things from them cuz sometimes they're the only or by far cheapest option but still... ugh. Also I don't have a credit card just a debit card (and I don't want a credit card cuz I emphatically do not want any debt), but I might remember someone on here telling me at the time it happened that there's something you can do to get the money back via the credit card if you paid with one? Honestly I don't know much about bigg grownup adulting finances for a 32 year old (but hey, at least I'm not in debt...) :( Passing on Penguindrum as I said I would to avoid going too close to my financial quick but I hope it sells well for AL, it was an interesting series :)

That sounds awful, I'd have fought it were I you out of principal, I'd guess too much time may have passed now? This may not be the case but one would assume you have a period of time within which to fight your corner.

For Amazon returns these days I often just do the post office/RM QR code thing, then I just take the package + the QR code on my phone, they scan it, they print the label, off it goes, I get a receipt.

Historically a credit card did offer better protection for online purchases, but that may not be the case now, I think debit cards may have caught up here. What you are probably referring to is Section 75 chargebacks for online purchases gone bad: Chargeback and Section 75 | UK Finance

However I would caution that performing a chargeback against Amazon is likely to see your account get banned by Amazon, I'd prefer to work it out with the retailer than issuing a Section 75 unless you get well and truly stuck.

In your specific case I think you'd have a strong case for getting a favourable outcome, off the top of my head:

You sent a parcel via Hermes of high value but Amazon report they received an empty package. As you mentioned any part of the chain could have stolen it, whether it's Hermes, or the returns dept of Amazon.

This parcel should have been insured against loss/damage/thievery, it should be possible to claim against Hermes for the loss of the parcel contents. How much this may cover would be down to their terms and conditions.

If the parcel is stolen you should be able to report it as such as it's technically a crime, using this you may then be able to pursue Amazon for the refund.

Given that you have nothing more to lose here, and I consider myself to be fairly good at writing emails, if you want I could draft you something that may help you get an outcome or a path you can take to getting some or all of your money back? let me know if that is of interest to you :)

That sounds awful, I'd have fought it were I you out of principal, I'd guess too much time may have passed now? This may not be the case but one would assume you have a period of time within which to fight your corner.

For Amazon returns these days I often just do the post office/RM QR code thing, then I just take the package + the QR code on my phone, they scan it, they print the label, off it goes, I get a receipt.

Historically a credit card did offer better protection for online purchases, but that may not be the case now, I think debit cards may have caught up here. What you are probably referring to is Section 75 chargebacks for online purchases gone bad: Chargeback and Section 75 | UK Finance

However I would caution that performing a chargeback against Amazon is likely to see your account get banned by Amazon, I'd prefer to work it out with the retailer than issuing a Section 75 unless you get well and truly stuck.

In your specific case I think you'd have a strong case for getting a favourable outcome, off the top of my head:

You sent a parcel via Hermes of high value but Amazon report they received an empty package. As you mentioned any part of the chain could have stolen it, whether it's Hermes, or the returns dept of Amazon.

This parcel should have been insured against loss/damage/thievery, it should be possible to claim against Hermes for the loss of the parcel contents. How much this may cover would be down to their terms and conditions.

If the parcel is stolen you should be able to report it as such as it's technically a crime, using this you may then be able to pursue Amazon for the refund.

Given that you have nothing more to lose here, and I consider myself to be fairly good at writing emails, if you want I could draft you something that may help you get an outcome or a path you can take to getting some or all of your money back? let me know if that is of interest to you :)

Ah yeah, it was you who told me that or something similar when I mentioned it on here a while back! (I thought it was but wasn't completely sure) :) I am really grateful for your offer of help, though I suspect too much time may have passed now :/ I can check when I bought the tablet and then get back to you so we can figure out if there is still a window of opportunity for me to get some/all of the money back? :)

Ah yeah, it was you who told me that or something similar when I mentioned it on here a while back! (I thought it was but wasn't completely sure) :) I am really grateful for your offer of help, though I suspect too much time may have passed now :/ I can check when I bought the tablet and then get back to you so we can figure out if there is still a window of opportunity for me to get some/all of the money back? :)

Sure, the other way of looking at it is that companies can chase you for debt for years, so the opposite should also be somewhat true!

Back