UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

I don’t know what happened with Cyber City, but the upscaling process seems to have created new issues. I’m checking the R2J, and yes, there are artifacts, however, the blu seems to have added MORE video artifacts, which kind of defeats the point. The documentary doesn’t make it clear if the series was finished on video or film, but given that I waited two years for this, I expected better. Oh, and my soundtrack CD? It was loose when it opened and now has a nice lovely scratch.

The higher brightness enhances and exposes the noise and posterization present in darker colors: Gundam NT UK/JP/US | Slowpoke Pics

After sampling a few scenes, I have to say that it's not that bad of an encode (but not good either) even with the wrong brightness, noise & posterizarion in darker colors and some artifacting, but when also taking into consideration that this BD not only uses the theatrical version, but is also missing extras that the US BD has, I'm very disappointed.
The biggest issue is indeed the lack of extras and the use of the theatrical version. I was ok with the video quality personally but the rest is kind of a bad show.

I watched all of Cyber City this evening. Considering that it's an upscale from a video master, it looks very good for the most part. Lineart is solid with none of the issues that plagued Utena, blacks are inky, and Kawajiri's trademark colours all but pop off the screen. The artefacting that's been highlighted by a few people is prominent when it occurs and has a weird habit of swirling around, but it wasn't frequently noticeable on my setup. I'd say I noticed it in half a dozen shots per episode, usually when there were hazy greys or the background was a little above black, which was rare given the generally high-contrast aesthetic.

The booklet is fantastic. Lots of context in the essay from Jonathan Clements, and a couple of interesting interviews that shot me straight back to the days of the Cyberpunk Collection. The documentary is also good, though it duplicates a lot of the material from the booklet and has that made-during-a-pandemic look to it.

I'd love it if this was the start of AL releasing some of those long-out-of-print OAVs from the 90s. If they gave this kind of treatment to 3x3 Eyes, Rumik World, or The Cockpit, I'd be all over those in a second.

By the way I didn't see it mentioned but Millenium Actress is the Deal of the Week

I'm holing out for a hopeful repeat of Re:Zero

By the way I didn't see it mentioned but Millenium Actress is the Deal of the Week

I'm holing out for a hopeful repeat of Re:Zero
I'm don't know if you have the Screen Anime discount but if not the Re:Zero EB was £34.99 but with the current AoL discount code its only £33.59 on there.

I watched all of Cyber City this evening. Considering that it's an upscale from a video master, it looks very good for the most part. Lineart is solid with none of the issues that plagued Utena, blacks are inky, and Kawajiri's trademark colours all but pop off the screen. The artefacting that's been highlighted by a few people is prominent when it occurs and has a weird habit of swirling around, but it wasn't frequently noticeable on my setup. I'd say I noticed it in half a dozen shots per episode, usually when there were hazy greys or the background was a little above black, which was rare given the generally high-contrast aesthetic.

The booklet is fantastic. Lots of context in the essay from Jonathan Clements, and a couple of interesting interviews that shot me straight back to the days of the Cyberpunk Collection. The documentary is also good, though it duplicates a lot of the material from the booklet and has that made-during-a-pandemic look to it.

I'd love it if this was the start of AL releasing some of those long-out-of-print OAVs from the 90s. If they gave this kind of treatment to 3x3 Eyes, Rumik World, or The Cockpit, I'd be all over those in a second.
What issues plagued Utena? I thought consensus was the Nozomi release of the series was fantastic and the Anime Limited release is a clone of that.

How did folks get on with the glue dots on the backs of their Kill la Kill box sets? The glue seemed a bit too strong to me, and despite my best efforts, I ended up with a bubble on the lower left corner.

Four glue dots as well...

The box itself is really, really nice, though.

I have 3 bubbles on mine because of the glue dots, took a lot of patience to slowly peel each corner off and then peel them off the info sheet as I keep all of those in a drawer.

What issues plagued Utena? I thought consensus was the Nozomi release of the series was fantastic and the Anime Limited release is a clone of that.
It looks like a deinterlacing problem that creates a comb effect on the lineart. The Nozomi Utena DVDs had the same problem, though it was even worse on those. It's been six months since I watched the blu-rays, so I can't remember exactly how often the problem shows up, but I'd guess it affects 40-50% of scenes in the TV series. From what I recall, it seemed to affect individual scenes rather than whole episodes.

Utena isn’t upscale tho, it was a scan of the source film? Unless I’m mistaken of course. Which means there shouldn’t be deinterlacing issues.
I'm not saying it makes sense; just saying what it looks like. Maybe they couldn't locate the original film for every scene, but that's just a guess.

What's different about the NT Theatrical version? Haven't opened mine yet but I assume it can't be extended or tweaked version of the movie or the dub wouldn't fit?

Does anyone else have orders that have been “in transit” for over a week? Wondering if it’s worth sending an email

What's different about the NT Theatrical version? Haven't opened mine yet but I assume it can't be extended or tweaked version of the movie or the dub wouldn't fit?
Thing is, it could be since the Japanese bluray comes with English audio and subtitles, courtesy of NYAV Post, which has been the case with a few Gundam releases over the years like Unicorn and The Origin. Typically, the home media version will have animation corrections and other tweaks or improvements to scenes that they may not originally have had time to get looking like they wanted. I don’t know if anyone has gone through both versions of the movie to put together comparison screens yet but it usually does happen eventually.

Does anyone else have orders that have been “in transit” for over a week? Wondering if it’s worth sending an email
I have 2 orders which were apparently shipped 8th january... All royal mail site says is... Sender as told us they are sending the goods via royal mail or summat like that.. To me that sounds royal mail havent had them yet

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210117_152509_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210117_152509_com.android.chrome.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 3
The home video version should have just tweaks to the animation/framing and the exact same runtime. I know that at least two shots were incorrectly framed in the theatrical version. There are probably more changes than just those two.

Theatrical left / Home video right - theatrical has grey vertical bar on the left

Theatrical left / Home video right - theatrical has grey horizontal bar on the bottom

Back