UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Is Thunderbolt OOP.? As it went from instock to out of print in like a day no “low stock” announcement

Yes, it is. The stock allocation sold through quickly enough that it was gone before we had time to put out the usual "low stock" announcement. Thus, all units are "in the wild" and allocated to retailers, and once any given retailer has sold out of their allocation there's no further stock available to replenish it. All of our own stock has been depleted during the Early Bird period, so it's sold out on our own store.

The idiots at Shout Factory announced this:
826663195774_anime-perfect-blue-altA.jpg

Perfect Blue Blu-ray/DVD

They claim it has a "beautiful new digital transfer", which I call BS on because people who saw the theatrical release here said it used the same master as the old AL BD. So, Anime Limited... have you anything to share regarding this specific film?

(Oh, and the reason I call them idiots is because they have zero QC.)

The idiots at Shout Factory announced this:
826663195774_anime-perfect-blue-altA.jpg

Perfect Blue Blu-ray/DVD

They claim it has a "beautiful new digital transfer", which I call BS on because people who saw the theatrical release here said it used the same master as the old AL BD. So, Anime Limited... have you anything to share regarding this specific film?

(Oh, and the reason I call them idiots is because they have zero QC.)
The new UE version that Anime Limited announced back at MCM in May is using a new transfer that came out after the previous release.

Yeah, I know it's a new one. I even said... wait, not on here. Oh. This is so confusing when you're on multiple forums, you loose track of what you said and where.

Yes, I know it's a new transfer. I was just posting it as a way to build anticipation for when AL gives more detail on the UE,
I've been saying everywhere else to get the AL version, so I'm obviously 100% aware.

Can't say I'm familiar with his work as far as I know, but if it's good enough for Prof. Who then it's good enough for me! Can't wait, hope the extras are good (though I'm guessing if the disc is 'fully authored' we would have heard of any by now).

Ah, well I've never had issue with a Discotek disc. Come to think of it I do recall his work on Robot Carnival, which I couldn't find fault with.

Paris
Loves
Anime

The letters are P L A, which when arranged spell PAL. They're showing the exclusive 25fps version. (lol)

Also, for those not in the know, Justin Sevakis is the owner of MediaOCD, who does all the Discotek Blu-rays. He's the best Western anime compressionist who isn't Italian (mp3dom). Dude has mad skill! Anything he touches turns out great, assuming the source was of high quality. (The only Discotek releases with issues were the early SDBDs, as Scenarist BD wasn't fully updated for it, and had some issues on PS4 playback. That's been corrected. And was a software issue, not him.)

I had a little chat with him on video compression/authoring, and let's just say that some certain releases are gonna turn out incredible.

(The only Discotek releases with issues were the early SDBDs, as Scenarist BD wasn't fully updated for it, and had some issues on PS4 playback. That's been corrected. And was a software issue, not him.)
Scenarist don't have and didn't have any severe issue.

The problem was in DoStudio (now discontinued) that cost 1/5 of Scenarist but used another (problematic) muxing engine and, albeit BD compliant, didn't do any deep check and muxed everything, so if you didn't pay attention, you were able to create out of specs BDs with playback problems. Lots of DoStudio users switched to Scenarist, so they automatically "fixed" all of their problems because Scenarist don't mux if something is wrong or out of specs (example: you can't mux SD subtitles on HD source, but DoStudio will mux it anyway creating an out of specs disc, while Scenarist will refuse to do it). There's a reason why Scenarist cost so much :)

Moral of the story: never let me take guesses when I’m not 100% certain on something. Otherwise, better and wiser people correct me. Not that it’s a bad thing, but perhaps I should give a disclaimer when it’s me taking a guess.

(Note- Justin told me that issue was with his BD authoring software, and I know that he now uses Scenarist, so put two and two together... and you’ve made a mistake.)

Prior to Scenarist (he switched quite recently... 15 months ago I think) he used DoStudio. The playback judder on "Fist of the North Star" is due to the DoStudio muxer and not PS3/PS4 firmware. A small amount of other discs was released out of specs though.

Back