Anime Limited announces partnership with Wakanim.tv

Mangaranga said:
Just out of interest Andrew, how much of this is actually overseen by you guys over at Anime Limited?
I believe that you mentioned before that you receive the material "On Schedule" (Which I assume is when the FR side does too). Will you be using your own translation for the new shows, are you allowed to sub the OP/ED, and will you have full control over the English content on the site when it launches?
That is worth bringing up since there was a point when we were getting subless episodes on AoD - the video files were being received and being uploaded on schedule but the subtitles weren't getting here from whatever part of the ex-ADV empire was producing then (and IIRC this only seemed to affect titles using the same subtitles as Anime Network).

Mohawk52 said:
I presume the language will be Japanese with english subs only? If that is the case this is a complete non-event for me as being an old git my eye's can't deal with subs anymore, so it's dubs only for me.
Unless I miscounted I think the grand total of dubbed simulcasts comes to 1, so I'm pretty sure the two titles named thus far are going to be sub-only.

ConanThe3rd said:
So, that FAQ so we can put this whole yes/no/maybe/punch aniplex in the shozz and see where it gets you thing to rest?

I'll have it up shortly today :).

Shiroi Hane said:
Mangaranga said:
Just out of interest Andrew, how much of this is actually overseen by you guys over at Anime Limited?
I believe that you mentioned before that you receive the material "On Schedule" (Which I assume is when the FR side does too). Will you be using your own translation for the new shows, are you allowed to sub the OP/ED, and will you have full control over the English content on the site when it launches?
That is worth bringing up since there was a point when we were getting subless episodes on AoD - the video files were being received and being uploaded on schedule but the subtitles weren't getting here from whatever part of the ex-ADV empire was producing then (and IIRC this only seemed to affect titles using the same subtitles as Anime Network).

No English content will be posted without subtitles - subbed op/ed is up to the licensor who provides the subtitles. By the time untranslated eps were appearing on Anime on Demand as you can tell my services were being directed elsewhere project wise by that point :) We use the same subs as everyone else in the world.

Watch and see - the system is more streamlined though as the tech side is comprised of a company whose main business is digital and simulcast though :).

Shiroi Hane said:
Mohawk52 said:
I presume the language will be Japanese with english subs only? If that is the case this is a complete non-event for me as being an old git my eye's can't deal with subs anymore, so it's dubs only for me.
Unless I miscounted I think the grand total of dubbed simulcasts comes to 1, so I'm pretty sure the two titles named thus far are going to be sub-only.

Correct - I have a dubbed simulcast on my radar but it is a drastic exception to the norm - not the standard.

Best,

Andrew

We came to the conclusion that the answer to #1 was clear – you have both Anime on Demand and Crunchyroll to cater to your needs so no point creating another subscription service.
Anime on Demand

Haha, this honestly made me laugh.
Why on earth would you even mention AODead in the FAQ?
It was ****, it's dead, and everyone wants to forget about it.

we asked around and the one common thing lacking was a download service, something we thought was a distant dream until we saw how Wakanim worked in France.
I do think that I agree with this in how it's something the competitors are currently lacking, and I do think it's a good thing, but I just can't see it catching on all too quickly.
Something else I've been wondering though, are we literally just buying the stream in file form, or is it a higher quality file sourced from the Broadcast masters?

Mangaranga said:
We came to the conclusion that the answer to #1 was clear – you have both Anime on Demand and Crunchyroll to cater to your needs so no point creating another subscription service.
Anime on Demand

Because I have to play fair and they do still exist - who knows what they're up to but I do stand by the fact that whatever they do next could be cool if they had the right partners (not us though!)

Leave them to it anyway!

Mangaranga said:
we asked around and the one common thing lacking was a download service, something we thought was a distant dream until we saw how Wakanim worked in France.
I do think that I agree with this in how it's something the competitors are currently lacking, and I do think it's a good thing, but I just can't see it catching on all too quickly.
Something else I've been wondering though, are we literally just buying the stream in file form, or is it a higher quality file sourced from the Broadcast masters?

I'll be interested to see how this goes - I genuinely believe there is a gap in the market and that it's something that could grow on people in the UK who don't do streaming. Time will tell though and I've a few ideas to make it appealing to folk - we'll just have to see how things go I guess. For those who don't actually want discs in future - it could provide an interesting alternative if managed correctly...

We're building the files from we receive from Japan - which are generally from the broadcast master and they come in at your choice of resolution for that price - SD quality (360p) / HD (720p) and Full HD (1080p). So it's not just buying the stream :).

Hope this helps? Looking forward to seeing how things go anyway and hope folks will give it a shot!

Andrew

anime_andrew said:
Mangaranga said:
Anime on Demand

Because I have to play fair and they do still exist - who knows what they're up to but I do stand by the fact that whatever they do next could be cool if they had the right partners (not us though!)

Leave them to it anyway!

Mangaranga said:

I'll be interested to see how this goes - I genuinely believe there is a gap in the market and that it's something that could grow on people in the UK who don't do streaming. Time will tell though and I've a few ideas to make it appealing to folk - we'll just have to see how things go I guess. For those who don't actually want discs in future - it could provide an interesting alternative if managed correctly...

We're building the files from we receive from Japan - which are generally from the broadcast master and they come in at your choice of resolution for that price - SD quality (360p) / HD (720p) and Full HD (1080p). So it's not just buying the stream :).

Hope this helps? Looking forward to seeing how things go anyway and hope folks will give it a shot!

Andrew

If I understand things correctly, the purchased file would be the property of the of the buyer to watch as he or she wishes, and to store as he or she wishes.

Is AVCHD a possible file format? That, burned to DVD would be playable on certain Blu-ray players, and would certainly interest me.

I know this makes me sound insane but if it's possible to pay an annual fee (or whatever works) to remove the <1 minute of ads just for the sake of it, I'd be interested in taking that up. I don't use any websites which use video ads by choice, and while it wouldn't make me avoid the site being able to pay to avoid them would make it a better experience.

If the streaming content goes up on other sites at some point instead, that's an acceptable alternative :D

I like the transparency of being able to support specific series. Crunchyroll says they do this too, but when you have an annual subscription it's often hard to imagine how much support you're really giving to unpopular shows about super-manly sengoku-era warriors who lecture people about righteousness.

R

Like I have said, as long as KlK is a temporary measure then fine.

I do not want to be standing here December and have Aniplex still not budging (Because I'm sure as hell Trigger would go for this) cuz that would pretty much ruin the whole thing.

And I don't mean that as "Welp, KlK is being hamstring'd bugger this" (Cuz I'll probably pick up SF, albeit slowly) as more "So Aniplex are complete jerks about this, this probably means SAO 2 (which will totaly happen) will be hamstring'd and so on."

anime_andrew said:
Mangaranga said:
Anime on Demand

Leave them to it anyway!
Well, technicaly speaking, AoD still "exists" in the same way the Save our Sailors webpage still exists.

I assume Andrew wants to be polite to his fellow industry professionals and ex-colleagues, so it's sort of awkward to ask him to snub AoD even if most of us are rather disappointed by them clamming up and disappearing off the face of the earth (with my Magi ;_; ).

R

Rui said:
I assume Andrew wants to be polite to his fellow industry professionals and ex-colleagues, so it's sort of awkward to ask him to snub AoD even if most of us are rather disappointed by them clamming up and disappearing off the face of the earth (with my Magi ;_; ).

R
Honestly it's probably very optimistic to think Kaze even has anyone running the show on AOD and it'll probably not last past the next time it needs it's domain updated. Let's keep in mind that Kaze are part of Viz, a company that couldn't figure out how Android works for a solid three months after they went international with Jump, have virtually all their anime on lock down streaming wise, and think forcing their UK customers to use the Nook app to legally buy thier comics (considering I'm convinced it's UI is a circle of hell) isn't a bad idea.

If I, being who I am, were put into rock/hard place situation Kaze put Andrew in when AOD started going south (that utter nonsense with offering no ad served HD stream and the vague ******** about subscription periods) then I would be hard pressed not to have AoD processed by the ministry of truth.

But that's me.

Seems like the site was either rushed out, or wasn't supposed to go live. Half of it is still in French :p Also I really dislike the CAPTCHA-style advertising system being used on the simulcast episodes, they will really put me off using the site if that's the advertising Wakanim is going to use going forward.

The download to rent option is a little screwy. It's DRM laden as expected, and you have to use certain software to use it. The help pages, Google translate, trial and error and lot of luck later I kind of figured it out.

Download and install Adobe AIR about 46 MB worth.

This will allow you to download and install either EZDRM player, or a 3 year old copy of Adobe Player (Adobe discontinued this) from a French website with so many pop-ups and plug-in offerings search bars and the like that you'll probably have killed your PC with malware by the time it's done.

So you take your 250MB download f4v file of your Samurai Flamenco episode, drop it on the player, and wait while it handshakes with wakanim to authorise playback of the DRM locked file. Which it doesn't do because wakanim haven't set it in motion yet, so you're left with a file that you can't use, and a PC bloated with crappy looking software. I'd much rather it just play in VLC player.

Anyway, I'll obviously just be streaming eps, not going through that crap again.

Had a look at their premium FAQ and suddenly the download to own looks a lot less attractive...

Apparently due to cost effectiveness, they don't get the download rights to all of their shows. What they do get is DRM download rights. So for a few shows, you can download the episodes at full HD, to play when you want and how you want.

For the other shows, you get DRM locked 1080 files. You only pay once, but you can only watch them with Adobe AIR and a compatible DRM reading player installed on your system, and once every 30 days, you have to get the file reauthorised for playback.

Yeah... waiting for the Blu-ray release...

Back