Anime Limited Announce First Release: Cowboy Bebop DVD & Blu-Ray

Ian Wolf

Mushi-shi
AUKN Staff
After reaching 1,000 likes of Facebook, Anime Limited has announced that their first release will be Cowboy Bebop.

They said that it will be released in the third quarter of the year, on both DVD and Blu-Ray. The series has been released in the UK previously by Beez Entertainment.

Anime Limited is a new company founded by Andrew Partridge, who most famously works for Scotland Loves Anime. The company has said that they will announce a new title at the end of every month, or will announce it early if they reach 2,000 Facebook likes.

<em>Synopsis</em>

Set in the year 2071, Cowboy Bebop follows the exploits of bounty hunters Spike Spiegel and Jet Black as they track and capture criminals from around the solar system in their space ship the BeBop. Along their journeys they team up with Faye Valentine, a gambling-loving con artist; computer hacker kid Edward; and a super-intelligent Welsh Corgi called Ein.
Source

Re: Anime Limited Announce First Release: Cowboy Bebop DVD &

I've already got the DVD, so a Blu-Ray release will probably interest me.

I know a lot of people will like this given how hard it was to get ahold of the Beez version, and BD too :)

I'll have to weigh up if the BD is worth a double dip given i've got the DvD set already.

Rosencrantz said:
I'll have to weigh up if the BD is worth a double dip given i've got the DvD set already.
Assuming there are no technical issues, the BD will absolutely be worth a double-dip. All US/UK releases of Bebop on DVD use the same awful composite master, so you can guarantee the leap in video quality will be immense.

Genuinely amazing news. A version of Bebop with decent video quality is so long overdue. Just a pity we'll have to wait until next Summer/Autumn for it.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Rosencrantz said:
Assuming there are no technical issues, the BD will absolutely be worth a double-dip. All US/UK releases of Bebop on DVD use the same awful composite master, so you can guarantee the leap in video quality will be immense.

Genuinely amazing news. A version of Bebop with decent video quality is so long overdue. Just a pity we'll have to wait until next Summer/Autumn for it.
Well unless the orginal was shot on film, which I doubt, it's just going to be SD upconverted to HD. Good, but not true HD.

Mohawk52 said:
Well unless the orginal was shot on film

It was...

Although there was some CGI used for the effects, the space station elements and the like, the rest of the anime was good old fashioned ink on cels. It should look breathtaking in HD, hopefully as good as the recent Ninja Scroll BD turned out to be, although that depends on how much Sunrise spent on restoring it for BD release.

This willbe bought on BD. Great license. Never owned the DVDs, only got the film and I love that!

Wow this is a instant grab for me especially that it is on blu-ray,bebop is one of the last true great anime series of recent years,now how about Escaflowne on blu-ray,that would make me very happy indeed. :D

MaxonTreik said:

Don't worry - got more to announce yet :).

What would you like - new or old :)?

Andrew,
President, Anime Limited

fabricatedlunatic said:
Comparison between Japanese BD and, I think, R1 Bebop Remix

So yeah. Note the horrible dot crawl and rainbowing on the DVD shots. And presumably the UK DVDs will have added unsightly NTSC-PAL frame blending for good measure.

Who says I plan to do an NTSC-PAL conversion... :)?

Dabbling with the idea of starting NTSC colour DVDs for now unless I can find a magic way to remove that very problem as many people are doing it and returns are proving negligible.

Thoughts?

AP
PS Holdbacks on BD due to requirement not so much choice.

kaze_andrew said:
MaxonTreik said:

Don't worry - got more to announce yet :).

What would you like - new or old :)?

Andrew,
President, Anime Limited
Age isn't much of a concern of mine. I'm more interested in things that got a very limited release or no release at all. I know I'm being rude about Cowboy Bebop and you need something big to get people buying, but I just can't excited about something everyone has watched and I already own.

Specifically, stuff like Cardcaptor Sakura, GaoGaiGar, Devilman Lady, Silent Mobius, Initial D, Hajime no Ippo, Gintama, Shin Mazinger would really interest me.

kaze_andrew said:
fabricatedlunatic said:
Comparison between Japanese BD and, I think, R1 Bebop Remix

So yeah. Note the horrible dot crawl and rainbowing on the DVD shots. And presumably the UK DVDs will have added unsightly NTSC-PAL frame blending for good measure.

Who says I plan to do an NTSC-PAL conversion... :)?

Dabbling with the idea of starting NTSC colour DVDs for now unless I can find a magic way to remove that very problem as many people are doing it and returns are proving negligible.

Thoughts?

AP
PS Holdbacks on BD due to requirement not so much choice.

Third Window Films have been releasing their DVDs as NTSC for the last 12 months or so and they've been great, but the key is getting proper progressive transfers that decode to 24fps on compatible equipment. Interlaced NTSC discs just don't look good on UK TVs, and I'm forever fiddling with my Blu-ray player's settings trying to reduce flicker and combing artefacts on US R1 anime discs. But recently Terracotta released Gyo as a progressive NTSC disc and it looked excellent. TRSI's Nadesico boxset also has the movie as progressive, but the series discs are interlaced. Of course Blu-ray at 1080p is the perfect option, but if a BD has to be interlaced it should be 60Hz, not 50Hz, as that gets 4% speedup as well (chipmunked textless credits on Persona 4 BD).

As for a wishlist of titles, I hope that you can get some of the more niche shows that companies like TRSI and NISA are releasing, stuff like Bunny Drop and Ristorante Paradiso, the shows that aren't represented by the mainstream releases in the UK. Of course they'll probably sell fewer copies, so maybe go for LE's with mega packaging and physical extras to offset LE prices that will work at a few hundred sales instead of a couple thousand. Of course there are some mainstream titles that have slipped through the gaps, and Gosick definitely needs a release here. Some classics could use BDs, and as they are getting HD treatments in Japan, materials for shows like Bubblegum Crisis and Paranoia Agent ought to exist. Blu-rays for Satoshi Kon's film catalogue would be nice, although I haven't heard good things about the Japanese release of Tokyo Godfathers or Perfect Blue.

Back