Anime in big trouble?

Ryo Chan

Symphogear
just been reading AnimeonDVD forums and after all the trouble we've had in the UK with Anime Central and Anime network, it looks like the US is now in trouble too with the end of their Toonami block.

now this could be 2 things

either the anime market has hit a bigger snag than we first thought, or perhaps it's a move by other companies to online broadcasting as it's a heck of alot cheaper

any views on this?

Not a good year for anime sales. America's got in a bit of trouble because of a kid dying from getting covered and aparentlly copying Gaara from Naruto. And a death note thing in Feburuary.

Lets hope its just a snag, itd be a shame to recess back into the dark ages before animes popularity^___^

Personally I think the DVDs need to be cheaper, I know its not really plausible for distributors but when so many can simply watch online the incentive to buy fades into the background, personally I buy most of the DVDs I get, not only to support the market but I just like the physicality of owning um.

sanji no 1 said:
What happened in febuary? you mentioned something about Death note

if it's the one i'm thinking of, someone in Germany was murdered and they found the name of the person killed in a black book written down numerous times at the murderers house alot like how the death note is done

Well.. This is a bit bad. I suppose it goes along nicely with [AS] putting anime in the shitter, whenever Bleach isn't on, as well. Naruto has been Toonami's flagship for a while, whilst Bleach is [as]'s.

5:00AM death slots, whilst FMA repeats for the thousandth time. FLCL is waiting around the corner fo' them. Its all not very uplifting.

melonpan said:
Meh I couldn't care less to be honest. The less butchering of kids anime for American TV the better. Good riddance.
From what I can tell, there isn't that much editing for CN anymore. The Naruto dub hasn't really edited much since the beginning. Something might spark up when Naruto Shippuden starts in a few months - assuming that it does, since it is only a loss of a block.

..Unless you were talking about Pokémon and Bakugan Battle Brawlers!

Weird, I just got Virgin Broadband after a few years without Sky.

Its amazing to me that there is no Anime at all now. Even Dragonballz is gone.

I would never pay the prices of UK DVD Anime (except a few classics like Cowboy Bebop) so I get my fix by buying in DVDs in Malaysia whenever I go there (once a year).

It means watching subtitles rather than dubbed but, meh.

EpicLulz said:
Is anime dead?

On TV and to some extent on physical media yes.

On the net? far from it.
But by "on the net" presumably you mean fansubs / series' available to stream online? There's no doubt they contribute to anime's popularity (Hell, anything you can get for free is bound to be poular) but unlike physical media and TV rights, they don't pay the bills for the studios who produce them.

Not that I want to get into another fansub debate here (we've been over that issue enough recently) - but if something's massively popular, but at the same time no-one's paying for it, how likely is it the producers will make more? Doesn't that just add to the anime world's troubles? :?

I would never pay the prices of UK DVD Anime (except a few classics like Cowboy Bebop) so I get my fix by buying in DVDs in Malaysia whenever I go there (once a year).

Have fun with your bootlegs... :roll:

Evolve or die. The exact same problem is facing the music, videogame, and movie industry, only these industries are finally starting to do something about it. Being asked to support them, an organisation formed to take my money, is not only a slightly sickening prospect, but the message it sends is that they don't need to adapt because their customers want to throw money at them anyway. At best you're bailing a sinking ship

It would be great if there was a successful model for selling anime in the UK, with money going back into the industry. However, you'll not change many peoples mind that the link between illegal downloading and anime's failure in the UK is not causal. It is true that there is no successful financial model for selling anime in the UK, and that illegal anime is the only other option. This is not the same as saying that people don't buy boxsets because they can get the same content for free. My personal belief is that the whole idea of this causality is industry propaganda designed to protect anime providers (and other media delivery providers) from admitting that their media delivery service is archaic, and beneficial for neither the artists nor the consumers. Besides a large amount of anime I see on the shelves at retail stores I would not want to buy anyway even if it was cheap why? because it was saturated with rubbish mediocre titles.

Just a note to say that I have and always will buy things that I have seen via non legit channels IF I REALLY LIKE THEM. And it really does annoy me when the industery comes out and says ITS FANSUBS instead of looking at there own deficencys.

Im not saying al this cuz i "hate" the industery im saying it because they need to sort there own problems out and evolve. And I belive we are starting to see that.

One other note, I didnt see Bandai complain when fansubs made Haruhri a cult hit. In fact there is a post somewere of the fansub of Haruri. Ill dig it up tommorow to tired right now.

ryuzaki said:

Have fun with your bootlegs... :roll:

I don't do bootlegs, legit are much cheaper than UK prices.

Not in English mind, and the subtitles are sometimes not so great.

The bootlegs are circa £1 for all of Deathnote.

Legit would be around £15 to £20.

Wages are so much less there.

But didn't these channels just show the same programmes on loop all the time?

I never watched them. I got my anime off friends, online or just bought it and hoped for the best.

I think people have to realise that:

1. Anime is a niche....VERY niche
2. Most of the stuff on TV was either corporate overextension, or an experiment on low quality cable channels.

There's no death of anime in the UK if there was no life in the first place, even with a DVR most people are not going to watch a rerun of Cowboy Bebop at 3am on a Tuesday, it's just not happening.

The fact is that right now word of mouth is doing far more for anime in the UK than either TV or impulse buy DVD has ever done. There's no doubt that some sales are being lost to bootlegs because some people see it as their RIGHT to watch anything and everything for free, but on the flipside we also have the people who see stuff on fansub and then go buy the DVD.

Eventually we might see some online distribution...it's unlikely to boost sales because the people who want stuff for free will still find fansubs, the mass market STILL won't be seeing this stuff, and frankly with episodes only a bit cheaper than DVD I suspect most people would be sticking to their physical media due to lack of DRM, being able to watch it on a TV, and being able to lend it to other people.

xxXXmoomooXXxx said:
Not a good year for anime sales. America's got in a bit of trouble because of a kid dying from getting covered and aparentlly copying Gaara from Naruto. And a death note thing in Feburuary.

:lol:

Sorry, no pity at all.
there's cosplaying....there's narutards and then there's just idiots who deserve it :lol:

Ryo Chan said:
sanji no 1 said:
What happened in febuary? you mentioned something about Death note

if it's the one i'm thinking of, someone in Germany was murdered and they found the name of the person killed in a black book written down numerous times at the murderers house alot like how the death note is done

Wasn't there an incident in america were a student was writting down names, using it to bully people but i think he went into a bit more detail then just writting down their names

Back