Game/MMO - Overlord
Romance - Toradora
80's - Ulysses 31
90's - Outlaw Star
Post-Millennium - Last Exile

Veterans

Sci Fi - Banner/Crest of the stars series
Slice of Life - Sketchbook
Fantasy - Mahou No Stage Fancy Lala = Well this is not the traditional fantasy kind of show. Instead it's like Creamy Mami (another classic) and the show premise is that little girl get's magic powers to turn older girl and ends up as singer. It's a really endearing comedic show with a really good ending.
Comedy - Tantei Opera Milky Holmes = This is the sort of show that you either love or you hate. It's a show about antics of group of idiotic group of goofballs fighting against group called bandit thiefs.
Drama - Ima, Soko Ni Iru Boku = This is bit of a mix bagged and a real downer to some. It's a show where boy get's to transported to this horrible devasted land (alternative world) and all sort's of grim **** happen there.
Romance - Kareshi Kanojo No Jijou = Romantic comedy from man behind Neon Genesis Evangelion. This isn't for everyone because this was tough production so people had to get really creative thanks to the lack of budget and some might find the show hard to watch due to that but personally i love it.
80's - Tokimeki Tonight = charming and whacky

Suggesting beginner stuff is easy. Not all of these are what I'd consider the best anime (some of them are awesome), but they're all good gateway anime for their respective genres in my opinion. For these I'll try to pick things that don't rely heavily on a knowledge of the medium to enjoy.

Beginner

Mech/Space Mech - Gurren Lagann. Even without a knowledge of mecha, Gurren Lagann is incredibly enjoyable on a base level.

Sci Fi - Steins;Gate. This one I was more unsure on because it does throw a lot of Japanese pop culture at you, but I think the story itself is more than compelling enough that they won't be alienated by it.

Slice of Life - Toradora. This one because I see it as a kind of representative for all of the slice of life high school stories that are out there. May as well have them see a good one before they realise that genre is oversaturated to the point of breaking.

Fantasy - Fate/Zero. This might be controvertial because it's a prequel, but it was my first exposure to the franchise and I think it is the superior series.

Comedy - Nichijou - This one because it has a kind of manic energy that should make it accessible to all. That and I also want people outside the fanbase to realise it isn't just memes.

Drama - Eve no Jikan - Tricky one. I don't really think there is a whole lot of anime that I'd describe as drama (far more that fit the definition of melodrama), but I recall this one got fairly heavy at certain points.

Action - Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood - I can't not put this as the action anime for beginners. It is so famously a gateway anime.

Sports/Hobbies - I'm not too big on this genre, but I liked Chihayafuru, and I think that one is fairly easy to get into even if you don't watch much sports anime.

Game/MMO - Well the obvious one for beginners here is SAO, though I don't know about this being its own genre.

Romance - Clannad, because it's hard to find many high school anime that has a romance beyond a first kiss, and I think this is probably the best popular example I can think of.

70's - Galaxy Express 999 - I'll fully admit that I haven't watched a lot of stuff from the 70s (I know, shameful), but out of the stuff I have seen, this one seems the most accessible.

80's - Dragonball Z, because even though I am not the hugest fan of it myself, it is still one of the most popular gateway anime even now.

90's - Cowboy Bebop, because this is a good anime that even people who don't like anime enjoy. Therefore I think it fits in nicely as an anime for beginners.

Post-Millennium - Attack on Titan, since a lot of mine are post-millennium anyway, and I would be remiss not to mention this since it has caused more people to start watching anime in the last few years than I could possibly fathom. This is another one that made the transition to the mainstream, and is enjoyed even by people who normally dislike anime. I don't personally think it's that amazing, but I can't deny its impact.

Now, I don't know how good my veteran suggestions will be, but I think I've watched enough more obscure/underrated stuff to have a crack at that too.

Veteran

Mech/Space Mech - Martian Successor Nadesico, because it is oddly underwatched, and is a wonderful ode to mecha in general. I don't think someone who hasn't seen much mecha would quite get it.

Sci Fi - Casshern Sins, because it fulfills the requirement of being both underwatched and really quite good.

Slice of Life - Genshiken (S1, S2, and the OVAs, less so Nidaime). This one is my favourite ever slice of life show, and I think a great deal of it would be lost on a beginner.

Fantasy - I can't think of anything obscure enough here. Sorry.

Comedy - The Comic Artist and his Assistants, because for my money, it is one of the stupidest things I've ever watched and is way underrated/underwatched. There is nothing remotely intelligent about it, it's just every awful anime trope you can think of except in overdrive. Somehow it works, I don't know why.

Drama - Legend of the Galactic Heroes, because it's 90% political intrigue to 10% space battle. This one might not be that obscure, but it's recently become available via legal means, so I thought I'd mention it.

Action - Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne, because it's got a lot of the bizarre stuff that makes me love anime. It can be a little bit shocking on occassion though, so fair warning.

Sports/Hobbies - Chihayafuru was all I really had, but if we stretch the definition a bit, I'll say Akagi was incredibly entertaining to watch even though I still have no idea how to play Mahjong.

Game/MMO - Log Horizon. Oh I don't know. I just think if I have to pick something specifically in this subgenre, Log Horizon was the one that did it best in my opinion.

Romance - Maoyuu. This one is often just seen as derivative of Spice and Wolf, but I found it to be a very enjoyable anime that is underwatched. I really wish there were more of it.

70's - Belladonna of Sadness, mostly because it's really weird, quite a visual spectacle, and really obscure. Although it has become a lot less obscure since AL released their Blu-ray of it.

80's - Angel's Egg, just because like many pre 90s anime it is ruddy hard to get a hold of legally. Seriously, somebody needs to do a re-release of this ASAP. I'd pay more money than is wise to have an artsy collector's edition of this movie.

90's - Golden Boy, because it's Golden Boy. Anyone who has seen Golden Boy will understand what I mean. I had to get it on the list somehow.

Post-Millennium - Samurai Flamenco. I thought since this category is so broad I'd just use it to mention that I love Samurai Flamenco and you should too.

Last edited:
Suggesting beginner stuff is easy. Not all of these are what I'd consider the best anime (some of them are awesome), but they're all good gateway anime for their respective genres in my opinion. For these I'll try to pick things that don't rely heavily on a knowledge of the medium to enjoy.

Beginner

Mech/Space Mech - Gurren Lagann. Even without a knowledge of mecha, Gurren Lagann is incredibly enjoyable on a base level.

Sci Fi - Steins;Gate. This one I was more unsure on because it does throw a lot of Japanese pop culture at you, but I think the story itself is more than compelling enough that they won't be alienated by it.

Slice of Life - Toradora. This one because I see it as a kind of representative for all of the slice of life high school stories that are out there. May as well have them see a good one before they realise that genre is oversaturated to the point of breaking.

Fantasy - Fate/Zero. This might be controvertial because it's a prequel, but it was my first exposure to the franchise and I think it is the superior series.

Comedy - Nichijou - This one because it has a kind of manic energy that should make it accessible to all. That and I also want people outside the fanbase to realise it isn't just memes.

Drama - Eve no Jikan - Tricky one. I don't really think there is a whole lot of anime that I'd describe as drama (far more that fit the definition of melodrama), but I recall this one got fairly heavy at certain points.

Action - Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood - I can't not put this as the action anime for beginners. It is so famously a gateway anime.

Sports/Hobbies - I'm not too big on this genre, but I liked Chihayafuru, and I think that one is fairly easy to get into even if you don't watch much sports anime.

Game/MMO - Well the obvious one for beginners here is SAO, though I don't know about this being its own genre.

Romance - Clannad, because it's hard to find many high school anime that has a romance beyond a first kiss, and I think this is probably the best popular example I can think of.

70's - Galaxy Express 999 - I'll fully admit that I haven't watched a lot of stuff from the 70s (I know, shameful), but out of the stuff I have seen, this one seems the most accessible.

80's - Dragonball Z, because even though I am not the hugest fan of it myself, it is still one of the most popular gateway anime even now.

90's - Cowboy Bebop, because this is a good anime that even people who don't like anime enjoy. Therefore I think it fits in nicely as an anime for beginners.

Post-Millennium - Attack on Titan, since a lot of mine are post-millennium anyway, and I would be remiss not to mention this since it has caused more people to start watching anime in the last few years than I could possibly fathom. This is another one that made the transition to the mainstream, and is enjoyed even by people who normally dislike anime. I don't personally think it's that amazing, but I can't deny its impact.

Now, I don't know how good my veteran suggestions will be, but I think I've watched enough more obscure/underrated stuff to have a crack at that too.

Veteran

Mech/Space Mech - Martian Successor Nadesico, because it is oddly underwatched, and is a wonderful ode to mecha in general. I don't think someone who hasn't seen much mecha would quite get it.

Sci Fi - Casshern Sins, because it fulfills the requirement of being both underwatched and really quite good.

Slice of Life - Genshiken (S1, S2, and the OVAs, less so Nidaime). This one is my favourite ever slice of life show, and I think a great deal of it would be lost on a beginner.

Fantasy - I can't think of anything obscure enough here. Sorry.

Comedy - The Comic Artist and his Assistants, because for my money, it is one of the stupidest things I've ever watched and is way underrated/underwatched. There is nothing remotely intelligent about it, it's just every awful anime trope you can think of except in overdrive. Somehow it works, I don't know why.

Drama - Legend of the Galactic Heroes, because it's 90% political intrigue to 10% space battle. This one might not be that obscure, but it's recently become available via legal means, so I thought I'd mention it.

Action - Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne, because it's got a lot of the bizarre stuff that makes me love anime. It can be a little bit shocking on occassion though, so fair warning.

Sports/Hobbies - Chihayafuru was all I really had, but if we stretch the definition a bit, I'll say Akagi was incredibly entertaining to watch even though I still have no idea how to play Mahjong.

Game/MMO - Log Horizon. Oh I don't know. I just think if I have to pick something specifically in this subgenre, Log Horizon was the one that did it best in my opinion.

Romance - Maoyuu. This one is often just seen as derivative of Spice and Wolf, but I found it to be a very enjoyable anime that is underwatched. I really wish there were more of it.

70's - Belladonna of Sadness, mostly because it's really weird, quite a visual spectacle, and really obscure. Although it has become a lot less obscure since AL released their Blu-ray of it.

80's - Angel's Egg, just because like many pre 90s anime it is ruddy hard to get a hold of legally. Seriously, somebody needs to do a re-release of this ASAP. I'd pay more money than is wise to have an artsy collector's edition of this movie.

90's - Golden Boy, because it's Golden Boy. Anyone who has seen Golden Boy will understand what I mean. I had to get it on the list somehow.

Post-Millennium - Samurai Flamenco. I thought since this category is so broad I'd just use it to mention that I love Samurai Flamenco and you should too.
Comic Artist and Maoyu are great underrated choices

Last edited:
Oh, I just remembered an obscure one that I didn't list, but everyone should definitely watch. Legend of Black Heaven. :) Basically fighting an interstellar war with the power of rock music.

Oh, I just remembered an obscure one that I didn't list, but everyone should definitely watch. Legend of Black Heaven. :) Basically fighting an interstellar war with the power of rock music.

Funny you bring that up. It's in my to watch pile. Going to crack it open soon. I'll report back whenever I've seen it :)

Really should have done this at the beginning

Mech/Space Mech:- Bubblegum Crisis/Macross Plus for Beginners. As old as they may be they are to of the most Architypal of their Genre. For Vets Try Daiguard, Gundam series or Gunbuster. These anime add a certain Nuanse to the genre.

Sci Fi :- Astro Boy or Cyborg 009 tv series for Beginners. Oddly I'd leave Ghost in the Shell for Vets if only for the fact the story needs a deeper reading to truly shine. Saying that Armitage III Polymatrix is a good beginner anime as it avoids some of the deeper existential issues of GITS while showing a parallel to it.

Slice of Life:- Really only one I can recommend as this isn't a genre I tend to enjoy, but Summer Wars is one that works on so many levels that it is not only the definition of SOL on the whole, but carries and portrays most niches of life and family that even a new comer can relate and find their way with this film.

Fantasy:- Roujin Z for both Vets and Beginners. It is such a release and barmy to boot that you can enjoy it on the superficial and the abstract (not to mention the talent involved in its creation).

Comedy:- You're Under Arrest for beginners. It's light enough with enough attention to detail that beginners will have a blast without getting bored. For vets (and the brave or insane) Try Excel Saga. It can work with the more emboldened newcomer, but it comes into it's own with experience of the highly referencial, sardonic and tongue in cheek humour, lampooning anime itself. You really need to know your stuff to get beyond the otherwise zany, off the wall comedy. As a side note there is the master challenge of Puni Puni Poemy, which is strictly for adults.

Action:- Redline for Beginners. This is a great intro how to do Action in Anime. There is a decent story, but it pales to the harmonious sound and visual rollercoaster. I can't really provide for vets as action is action and has to be the least subtle and unversally understood of tropes.

Romance:- Oh! My Goddess. I can recommend this for Beginners and Vets. Romance anime is chock full of the Harem Trope and Oh! My Goddess follows suit with one key difference. The Love doesn't go unrequited. Most romance is a hideously protracted affair, played for laughs or drama and while OMG does do this, it doesn't forget the original intent and the lead reasonably quickly mans up and says those 3 words to his intended love.

80's:- Fist of the North Star for Beginners. Age restrictions apply here, but if you could find a more 80's anime that has enough content to stay interesting yet won't mess with your mood or intelligence, I have yet to find it. FOTNS is a great joyride through 80's anime goodness. For Vets you have Akira. The technical excellence to the deep mind freak of a story needs time and experience of other anime to appreciate what could be done with 1980's techniques.

90's Cowboy Bebop for Beginners and Vets. A Tour de Force that isn't has so much for so many. It is a pretty straight shooter so beginners can get in on the tale, but it covers so many stories so well that even the experienced can find a home. Taking of Vets, try Neon Genesis Evangelion TV Series. This is one dark anime that needs a keen eye and perception to understand the actual stories. NGE isn't just a pretty robot show.

Try Excel Saga. It can work with the more emboldened newcomer, but it comes into it's own with experience of the highly referencial, sardonic and tongue in cheek humour, lampooning anime itself. You really need to know your stuff to get beyond the otherwise zany, off the wall comedy

You've just reminded me to try Excel Saga again. I tried to watch it about seven years ago and got nowhere. I think I can (probably) handle what it's dishing out now. I should also watch Akira again, but it's never not a good time to rewatch Akira.

not really separated beginner/ veteran but here's my recommendations

Drama - Gosick
Game/MMO - Overlord

Thank you for reminding me I still haven't watched Overlord. People keep mentioning it and I put it off because I was kind of burnt out on Isekai shows, but I think I'll give it a go.

Also thanks for reminding me that Gosick exists. I recall it as one I sat down to watch and never got very far on. Pity it was removed from Crunchyroll.

Back