Anime for UK TV

Wouter

Hikikomori
Hi there,

I work for a UK TV company that would like to include one or more Anime series to its programming line-up.

What series would you like to see? Also, how would I go about with regards to obtaining rights? I have been researching this (although not in too much detail), and am not very succesful. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Wouter

Hi Wouter.

Firstly, it's great to hear there are indeed some UK TV companies out there wanting to use anime. It's a genre just waiting to explode over here.

Basically, there are several series you could look into; Full Metal Alchemist being the hottest show out there now. It consists of 51 x 26 minute episodes and has been a massive success around the globe. The UK DVD release has also been a success.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is a 26 episode series with a massive reputation, being a part of the popular Ghost in the Shell franchise. It's a fantastic series and one that is more than worth look at.

Lastly, Last Exile is a stunning 26 episode series that combines epic visuals and a fun adventure story. It's a beautiful, exciting show.

I hope those recommendations are interesting for you.

With regards to obtaining the rights, it's best that you speak directly with the British anime companies. I can put you in touch with these people if you want.

Assuming that the show isn't cut up in any major way, then I'd have to agree with Last Exile and Stand Alone Complex. The Last Exile is very family freindly (not to say that it's a kiddy show, most adults will enjoy the in-depth setting and characters. It just doesn't have any real objectionable content), and the latter will appeal to a more mature market (more along the lines of a high-tech cop-show and drama. Think a bit along the lines of 24 and you wouldn't be too far off).

Read or Die TV is also a good show, very creative.

FullMetal Alchemist I haven't seen yet.

And a friend whose seen it recommends Gungrave, because apparently it's awesome.

Cowboy Bebop is a staple, and a great show if you don't mind that it's not the most recent release, and the fact that it was already shown on TV ( Cartoon Network ).

I'd love a channel that had a range on animes for kids/everyone through-out the day and after 9pm, the more adult programs (e.g. Outlaw Star) or uncut episodes (like Uncut Shaman King).

That way, you can serve both a young and older population of the UK.

Chaz said:
I'd love a channel that had a range on animes for kids/everyone through-out the day and after 9pm, the more adult programs (e.g. Outlaw Star) or uncut episodes (like Uncut Shaman King).

That way, you can serve both a young and older population of the UK.

I think he's just looking for one or two shows for a lineup.

Incidentally, I realise that you probably aren't allowed to tell us what channel this is for, but can you tell us whether it's going to be terrestrial or cable?

Although its been shown before on Satellite, I think if its a terrestrial channel, Bebop would be really good. Adults would tune in to watch it as well, especially if it was scheduled, say, after the simpsons. And plugged a lot.

eg. just take a look at the opening credits. An attention-grabber if there ever was one. :shock:

firstly, it's great news that a UK TV channel is taking anime seriously so thanks to Wouter for asking! the best choices i can think of are Bebop and Last Exile because of their broad appeal, which would be a good idea at first. as legendary as NGE is, the complex and contraversial storyline isn't really suited to the TV industry at the moment. R.O.D. TV is similar to Bebop in that it's quirky, well animated and entertaining from an action point of view.

maybe a short OVA might be favourable over a long-running series, in case the idea doesn't work out and a short run results.

This proposal sounds really interesting for Anime on UK TV.

I would defiantly go along with the others and suggest Full Metal Alchemist and Last Exile, the latter i am especially enjoying, and both i believe would do well on UK TV.
Plus another series that i think would do well would be Inu Yasha, i havn't seen any myself, but it has done very well in America and i've long wanted to.
Of course it all depends upon who it will be aimed at and whether it will be on terrestrial or Sky, but the ones above are what i can think of recommending now

Definately Fullmetal Alchemist would be an exciting addition to your lineup.

I am also interested to know more about your "TV company".. do you have a channel? or do you at least plan to have a channel?

Thanks for the replies!

I have been in touch with the UK agents of Full Metal Alchemists, and I expect we can sort something out in the near future for this, and perhaps other series.

Personally, I think that one good series like Full Metal with say two episodes per week, and one feature length movie or one-off could do quite well. Do you all agree?

Also, what manga/anime publications do you guys read? I would be interested in 'getting in bed' with a magazine so we could cross-promote in order for both brands to gain popularity (read: much needed viewers/readers).

The channel will be focused on 15-34 year olds, and programming-wise, it will feature shows on Gaming, Films, music, Xtreme Sports, and loads more.

Once again, many thanks,

W

the UK magazine NEO springs to mind immediately. it's only in its sixth or seventh issue, but covers anime, manga, Asian cinema and gaming, plus it has a readership that fits in with the demographic you're aiming for. i think the official site is http://www.neomag.co.uk.

Concrete badger said:
the UK magazine NEO springs to mind immediately. it's only in its sixth or seventh issue, but covers anime, manga, Asian cinema and gaming, plus it has a readership that fits in with the demographic you're aiming for. i think the official site is http://www.neomag.co.uk.
Funnily enough, the banner on that page has Edward Elric from Fullmetal Alchemist on it.. :lol:

neomagtitle.jpg

Next to FMA you should really try pick up Stand Alone Complex because it will draw in fans who have seen the original Ghost in the Shell movie and with Innocence being release next year there'll be even more interest in it

Wouter said:
I have been in touch with the UK agents of Full Metal Alchemists, and I expect we can sort something out in the near future for this, and perhaps other series.

Personally, I think that one good series like Full Metal with say two episodes per week, and one feature length movie or one-off could do quite well. Do you all agree?

If you can snag Full Metal Alchemist, it would be a fantastic coup for your channel and the UK anime community, fingers crossed everything works out. I'm sure this link will make good reading for you. I do suggest you look into another TV series alongside FMA though and as others have suggested, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex would be a good place to start. Also Cowboy Bebop. Both series will easily appeal to the demographic you're aiming for; good looking, stylish series with plenty of action.

That said, movies and one-offs could also work. Vampire Hunter D - Bloodlust and Cowboy Bebop: The Movie would be good places to start looking.

The following companies are the ones most involved with anime in the UK:

ADV: http://www.advfilms.co.uk/
Beez: http://www.beez.fr/
Manga Ent.: http://www.manga.co.uk/
MVM: http://www.mvm-films.com/
Optimum: http://www.optimumreleasing.com/

Wouter said:
Thanks for the replies!

Yeah definitely. A movie a week aside from a regular series would be great. And FullMetal Alchemist ought to do well on hype alone, provided it's well advertised. Like I said I haven't seen it myself yet, but there's scarcely an anime fan out there who hasn't heard of it. Plus it's meant to have a good dub as well.

Also, what manga/anime publications do you guys read? I would be interested in 'getting in bed' with a magazine so we could cross-promote in order for both brands to gain popularity (read: much needed viewers/readers). The channel will be focused on 15-34 year olds, and programming-wise, it will feature shows on Gaming, Films, music, Xtreme Sports, and loads more.

Once again, many thanks,

W

Well as has already been suggested, Neo is pretty much the UK's only real anime magazine at the moment, although personally I don't read it (I read EDGE, but I'm not sure that's the demographic you're looking for since it's more of an adult oriented gaming mag). Still, it's probably your best bet as a magazine. I'm sure they'd probably be happy to do an or two article on your channel to boot if, any anime hitting UK TV is big news for the scene.

Personally, I'd recommend trying to get some banners and adds up on UK based anime websites specifically mentioning FullMetal (with day and time as well) to draw in the anime crowd.

As for the other demographic, I can't really say too much. Generally, gaming mags are a good choice to target the kinds of people you're looking at, especially since your channel is going to be featuring gaming as well. There's a pretty solid connection between people who are into console games, and anime, since msot Japanese games have an unmistakable anime look to begin with.

Perhaps the odd film magazine but I think that's straining it a bit. What type of films are you lokoing to show? Given everything else, would I be right in guessing cult / asian cinema? Because there again, you'd do a good job advertising in Neo, since they cover Asian cult cinema.

Oh yes, Stand Alone Complex is perfect to pull an audience in. It's probably the best selling series in the UK at the moment.

Good Luck with the channel!

Paul said:
That said, movies and one-offs could also work. Vampire Hunter D - Bloodlust and Cowboy Bebop: The Movie would be good places to start looking.

First Ghost In The Shell Movie would be another film worth showing , maybe even the Read Or Die OVA too.

Mangaminx said:
Paul said:

First Ghost In The Shell Movie would be another film worth showing , maybe even the Read Or Die OVA too.

The ROD OVA would work especially well with the ROD series, both being able to appeal to virtually anyone who is informed properly about them.

Back