Anime Debating Thread

britguy said:
Evangelion?

Overrated pap with pseudo philosophical ideas fused with giant robots and a whiny unlikeable emo like teen as its main character.

Sure there are a few events I liked and watching the cut down Death and Rebirth and then End of Evangelion is slightly more enjoyable, but as a whole series it just didnt succeed for me.

It is like the anime equivalent of that guy you know who tries way to hard to be cool, and in the end it fails. (Replace cool with insightful, intellectual, philosophical or pretentious for maximum damage)
I'd like to argue against every single one of those points (I like Shinji, believe I understand for the most part what the series was trying to say, think End of Eva was unnecessary and preferred the series ending)... However, after you've had the same debate half a dozen times it loses it's appeal somewhat. Sorry guys.

I'm all for the Evangelion characters, including Shinji. It [probably] perfected the Real People In Extra-Ordinary Circumstances thing, for me anyway. (Also, that has to be a TVTrope.)

Man, I still need to see 2.22.

Stuart-says-yes said:
If you've read some of the latest bleach chapters you'll know that Ichigo's ran away from his power, just like shinji does, so maybe he isn't the best person to compare to shinji.

Hmm, I don't know how you got that impression.

He used a technique that literally used up all his power to defeat Aizen. To everyone elses knowledge there is no way for him to regain his powers. How would that be running away from it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like how Jayme has turned this into a meta-debate thread where we debate about the debate. :p

But also agree with ayase re: using stuff that is so played-out as Evangelion.

Durial666 said:
Ignore Godot, he's Welsh.

Gyarados.jpg

I'mma get my Welsh-Dragon-Rage on!

Oh yeah, it's certainly popular enough for it, I just think you'll get more people interested if it's something they haven't discussed so much before. Hard to find a good topic, tbh, unless you take a more general theme that has been in the news recently. Something like the manga censorship bill passed in Tokyo this week?

What about Haruhi done in the style as the first page? I've read a lot about Naruto/Bleach/etc in that format, and of course, Evangelion debates aren't fun any more.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Pros?
Cons?
Comparible to?
Rise and Downfall?
If it could be redone what would you do to improve it?

Go.

I'll do mine after a few of you do yours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Too lazy to bother with Desert Punk, but this is its main plus point: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1 ... how=0#post

As for Haruhi, Kyon's cynical commentary and the Haruhi>Mikuru femdom make it great - so far, at least. I like how Kyon highlights everything that's wrong with Haruhi yet still goes along with her, for an easier life... even when poor Mikuru is being sexually harassed. Episode 00's intentionally bad take on an amateur film is another plus, also.

Everything else will probably suck, though. The art style makes the female faces unattractive (Kyoto? Gremlins?), and Yuki has as much personality as a plank of wood... intentionally.

Jesus Christ, you guys...

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Pros?
Kyoto Animation
Kyon is a likable character, like that one guy you knew in high school but never talked to.
Interesting concepts and overall a fun show.
Dub is great. (Never watched subbed. Don't care about Aya Hirano)

Cons?
Kyoto Animation
Most of the characters are kind of boring without direction from Haruhi.
Haruhi Suzumiya herself is annoying as **** but keeps the show going.
People making a fuss over which order to watch it. (DVD order, obviously)

Comparible to?
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 2 (MAL pulls it -all- the time)

Rise and Downfall?
Rise? Most of the show.
Downfall? Final episode where Kyon gets the heater, watching Yuki reading her book for a few minutes is pretty lame.

Gender swap characters to troll the fanbase. I already hear there's a large following for Female Kyon.

Okay, I have some actual time now.

Pros?
Interesting premise with an eclectic set of characters. I love the fact the show doesn't get bogged down in the mythos of it all and lets the cast have importance over the more intricate sci-fi/supernatural areas. Just generally good storytelling and animation.
Lupus said:
People making a fuss over which order to watch it. (DVD order, obviously
I disagree. The broadcast might not make complete sense (Episode 00 shouldn't be watched first in any case) but in terms of having closure, it works fantastically. Reminded me of how The X-Files dipped in and out of its mytharc.

Cons?
The difficultly in getting a good normal dose of Haruhi. I get that this is a crazzzzzy franchise, but dang. Also, its not in HD.

Comparible to?
Not much else. High school drama reminds me of Toradora and some other shows. The rest (i.e. fantasy stuff) could be from anywhere. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is would likely be enjoyed if one liked The Melancholy.

Rise and Downfall?
Pretty consistent show, imo.

Possibly more episodes.

Lupus said:
Downfall? Final episode where Kyon gets the heater, watching Yuki reading her book for a few minutes is pretty lame.

Without trying to start something, I'd say that's exactly why the broadcast order is better. As Jayme suggested, you get a far stronger ending - it's just not chronological.

There is no longer any real debate about viewing order, for the same reason that there is no "season 2" - with Haruhi as it stands now, it makes little sense not to watch it in the 2009 order. How would you even decide where to watch the episodes that were added for the 2009 broadcast?

Jayme said:
Was it meant to be funny?
I assumed so, I thought it had a good deadpan charm to it, but I guess he was serious.

Lupus said:
Jesus Christ, you guys...
What? This thread was never "real" from the beginning.

That's true... watching in that order will let me revisit the original, plus watch the second series. Also, why is the series still under "The Melancholy of..." umbrella?

Back