Anime based on fighting games

Joshawott said:
fabricatedlunatic said:
I've tried numerous times to sit through the story modes of BlazBlue games, but I just can't. It's a load of convoluted nonsense, and I don't have much faith in the anime being able to straighten it out.
> Fighting games in general
Most fighters have a story that could be written on the back of a soggy beer mat. Blazblue goes balls-out with an hours-long visual novel, but what I could endure of it was just total nonsense. YMMV, of course.

Re: The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

fabricatedlunatic said:
Joshawott said:
fabricatedlunatic said:
I've tried numerous times to sit through the story modes of BlazBlue games, but I just can't. It's a load of convoluted nonsense, and I don't have much faith in the anime being able to straighten it out.
> Fighting games in general
Most fighters have a story that could be written on the back of a soggy beer mat. Blazblue goes balls-out with an hours-long visual novel, but what I could endure of it was just total nonsense. YMMV, of course.
Usually they have some kid on nonsense back story that I don't get where it's even explained.

The thing I don't get about Blazblue being made into an anime is that parallel worlds/timelines and the choices/wins/losses characters make is pivotal to the full story. Are they just going to pick the sorta 'final arc' and run with that? I can't see them doing every episode as a whole run through of the timeline reseting next episode, sure didn't work for Haruhi (in my opinion).

Joshawott said:
Usually they have some kid on nonsense back story that I don't get where it's even explained.

This. For some baffling reason, fighting games (2D ones like blazblue usually being the biggest offenders) usually take their stories so seriously,that they have completely in-accessible back stories which are not even explained at all within the game! Meaning you end up dealing with a bunch of acronyms and factions that were never even introduced to you in the first place. I seem to recall having had a similar experience to Blazblue as Fabricatedlunatic; it was nothing but gibberish. I think making a fighter based on an anime works better than vice versa.

Yeah definitely. Although I seem to recall loving the Tekken story when I was a nipper. They were no less outlandish, and it was often hard to keep track of all the (at least attempted- you can never keep a good Mishima down!) patricides and even grand-patricides going on. But those games had a real panache for OTT, the kind that other fighters could only emulate. I also happened to love the Tekken anime when I initially bought it. Something tells me my rose tinted glasses may shatter if I watch it now, but I'm still quite tempted to. Aside from that, SF2 is the obvious choice for a good fighting game anime, are there any other ones?

FourthLion said:
The thing I don't get about Blazblue being made into an anime is that parallel worlds/timelines and the choices/wins/losses characters make is pivotal to the full story. Are they just going to pick the sorta 'final arc' and run with that? I can't see them doing every episode as a whole run through of the timeline reseting next episode, sure didn't work for Haruhi (in my opinion).

I can imagine them doing something similar to the Calamity Trigger recap in Continuum Shift and basically picking all the important stuff and animating that.

vashdaman said:
Joshawott said:

This. For some baffling reason, fighting games (2D ones like blazblue usually being the biggest offenders) usually take their stories so seriously,that they have completely in-accessible back stories which are not even explained at all within the game! Meaning you end up dealing with a bunch of acronyms and factions that were never even introduced to you in the first place. I seem to recall having had a similar experience to Blazblue as Fabricatedlunatic; it was nothing but gibberish.

They actually do explain all technical terms and ****. It's in the TIPS section of story mode.

Sorry for splitting the topic ;)

With Tekken, I used to really love the series (the Tekken 2/Tekken 3 storylines had me glued to my console). The anime was sort of terrible and did away with most of the rather epic story of the games for some reason, though it probably has some campy appeal if you're in the right mood. I imported it on VHS originally then re-purchased it on DVD because I was so hooked T_T

I can't play Tekken for the story any more. It just stopped making any sense, even by its own kangaroo/panda/cyberninja/demon standards. The CG movie was surprisingly watchable in spite of this for some reason.

On the whole I think game-based anime has come a long way since the old days where they were always nonsensical parades of character cameos, so I won't write off the Blazblue announcement yet - it helps that I've never played the games.

R

Aww, the Tekks anime was great. You can't say it wasn't epic! I actually thought it did a good job with the story, the Kazuya Heihatchi main aspect was handled really well, especially for a run time of under a hour! My only grievance is a woeful lack of Yoshimitsu, Gon and a purple suit for Kazuya :(

Seriously I actually just watched it, and apart from the crap animation, I can hardly fault it. What else could you ask for from a Tekken movie? I even think it gets downright poignant in places. Yep.

I am with you in regards to losing interest after the first 3 games though.

Don't know if I'm allowed to link this, but I'm assuming the copy right has ran out or something since it's blatantly on youtube like this?

The copyright hasn't run out for anything that new. It's some dodgy illegal upload.

R

Back