Anime and Manga of the Decade 2010-2019 – Anime UK News Writers' Top Picks!

Sarah

Staff
AUKN Staff
The last ten years have delivered some superb anime and manga - and after much soul-searching, the writers at Anime UK News have chosen their personal favourites. See if you agree with their choices...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
For me Anime of the decade has to be A Silent Voice. I've watched it so many times and cried every single time!

Picking a single runner up is tough but probably comes from Madoka Magica, My Hero Academia, MSG Tunderbolt: December Sky, Your Lie in April, Made in Abyss, Scums Wish, From the New World, Promare, Stein's;Gate.

Picking a manga is also tough as several I've read recently which I loved like Blame! and Doubt are pre this decade so I'd probably have to admit that I really enjoyed Magical Girl Apocalypse. It's dark and twisted but also felt original and I never really knew which way the story would go next!

Top 10 anime

A Lull in the Sea
Attack on Titan
Bakuman
Haikyuu
Hunter x Hunter 2011
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
March Comes in Like a Lion
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
Space Brothers
Steins;Gate

Best film: Wolf Children or Your Name but loads I've yet to see.

Best Manga: A Silent Voice (Way better than the film :eek:) Attack on Titan and One Punch Man. Looking at MAL I realised that most manga Ive read started in the 00's. Id like to include Beastars, Golden Kamuy and Tokyo Ghoul but I haven't read enough of them (yet).

Last edited:
Weird Sarazanmai is getting a lot of love yet Penguindrum has had no one mention it....
My top is
Monogatari Second Season
2-5
Free!
Sound Euphonium
Penguindrum
Haikyu
Hyouka
Top film is: Evangelion 3.33 tied with Kizu Trilogy.

Special mention goes to Attack on Titan for being good now awful. (Manga is on its way to get a 1/10)

Haikyu is a great shout I forgot about!

Also realised that K-on season 2 and the movie are this decade so they obviously go high up my list too!

Being able to choose a top 10 of the decade, let alone just two is admirable! I couldn't. Maybe Ping Pong or Fate/Zero? Mob Psycho? I would need to re-evaluate a lot of stuff to come up with such a list.

Best Manga: A Silent Voice (Way better than the film :eek:)

I was going to add this below but decided to go for the Movie. On MAL I've got it lasted as Movie + Manga in my top spot ;)

For me

Anime:
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

Easily my favorite franchise, enjoyed watching all the series and the first few movies (Still need to watch a few)

Runner up:
A Silent Voice

Sorry Strike Witches and Girls und Panzer, but these were an easy choice.

-----

Manga: Cheating on this one!)
First Love Sisters and Girlfriends

The two manga series than got me into Yuri

Runner up:
Do I say Konohana Kitan?

Yes :)

-------------

Edit. Decade kinda started in 2010... Not 2000 ;)

Well, thats this post destroyed then, at least I'm now down to one for each ;)

Last edited:
TV
I only started watching TV series seasonally for the last 2 years, but I have been working on the backlog of stuff so there's a few older shows as well. I haven't watched everything I've seen talked about in various places though.

1st A Place Further Than the Universe

Rest of the top ten in no particular order (all scored 9 on MAL):
Anohana
Kill La Kill
Mushishi
Nozaki-kun
Terror in Resonance
Your Lie in April
Sound! Euphonium
Little Witch Academia
Yuru Camp
Fruits Basket

Series where one season (9 on MAL) was better than others (mainly 8s) so not in top ten, but honourable mentions:
Psycho Pass 1
Noragami 1
Gundam: IBO 2
Mob Psycho 100 2

Film
Probably more down to recency, but WC close second. All 9s on MAL.
1st PROMARE

Wolf Children
The Boy and the Beast
Anthem of the Heart

Manga
I think ASV is a the only one from this decade and finished. All other manga I've read have either started (and in some case finished) in other decades or are still on going or both. Yuru Camp is from this dacade, but not finished so is my runner up.
1st A Silent Voice

Yuru Camp

Last edited:
Love the Madoka love, might forward the article to some friends who've been on the fence.

My own:
Anime:
1) Steins Gate
Runner Up: Monthly Girls Nozaki-Kun
Barakamon, Shirobako, March comes in like a Lion, Monogatari Second Season, Jojo & Flying Witch also falling into my love list.

Manga:
1) Golden Kamuy
Runner up: Ancient Magus Bride
Welcome to the Ballroom & A Silent Voice taking other places.

If we went Light Novels, easily Overlord & Slime.

Back