Anime and asian movies on UK TV this week

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
The following anime and asian movies will be broadcast on UK TV this week.
  • Wed. 13th - Film4 - 16:25 - Princess Mononoke
  • Thu. 14th - BBC4 - 23:00 - Japanorama "Otaku"
  • Fri. 15th - BBC4 - 23:35 - Japanorama "Otaku" (Repeat)
  • Fri. 15th - Film4 - 23:40 - In the Mood for Love (Hong Kong live action)
  • Sat. 16th - Film4 - 01:30 - 2046 (Hong Kong live action)
  • Sat. 16th - Film4 - 23:10 - Battle Royale (Japanese live action)
Thanks to Jordan Scott for this news.

This was sent in my me as well, by the way. And remember that all the times are 24 hour clock - so 2046 is starting at 1:30 AM in the morning! Sorry to disappoint you if you were looking forward to seeing it in the early afternoon. But from what I've read, it's a big letdown after the perfection of In the Mood for Love.

Definately gonna watch Battle Royale again, I love that movie and also gonna check out Japanorama 'Otaku' a subject very close to my heart ;)

I must admit I'm anxious to catch up with director Kar Wai Wong's movies after reading so much praise for him around the 'net. I've got the DVD of Chungking Express sitting here and to catch these other two movies as well is a real bonus. God bless Film4! It really is a brilliant movie channel.

If you missed last weeks Japanorama it's on BBC3, tonight at 2:25am (One for Sky+ I think!)

The description on the Radio Times website for this week's episode sounds funny!

2/6 - Otaku

Jonathan Ross presents a series about Japanese film and television culture. He immerses himself in otaku, or nerd culture, and discovers why so many young Japanese men can only feel love for manga, anime and model collecting. He investigates the phenomena of Cosplay, or mass fancy dress, and discovers why the nerds like a lady in a Victorian maid costume. And The Magic Numbers sample a local delicacy after a show on their debut tour of Japan.

OSU!

Johnathon Ross just lost a majority of people watching this show, as most of them are likely nerds. >_>

They should show free clips of Japanese One Piece and stop showing the usual GitS/Ghibli movies.

I'll be looking out for Wolfina/Rukia/Orihime/Riza Hawkeye/Nico Robin, etc. Cosplay. >_<

Hrm, I hope it doesn't push forward the stereotype that "you are a nerd if you like anime/manga". That could kinda kill the popularity in the UK again because at the moment it's popularity is going up but still treading on very thin ice. Anything might break it.

Ah well.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
Hrm, I hope it doesn't push forward the stereotype that "you are a nerd if you like anime/manga". That could kinda kill the popularity in the UK again because at the moment it's popularity is going up but still treading on very thin ice. Anything might break it.

Ah well.

Just what we need a show that makes us look silly. ANIME ROCKS, but I get gip from people at work all the time saying I am watching kiddie shows and need to grow up.

I don't think it's particularly insulting - just the truth really. Let's face facts, a lot of people obsess over anime and manga characters. I'm not particularly worried since Jonathan Ross is clearly an otaku so he'll know where to draw the line.

The point being that at this stage the UK public may not be able to handle the truth! People are finally, yet cautiously looking into anime and manga with the big push it's been getting lately in the UK but anything could turn them away. Especially a show which might give the idea that "THIS COULD BE YOU 1 YEAR FROM NOW!". I don't obsess over anime, collect dolls and wouldn't really consider cosplaying so I won't be offended, in fact I'll probably find it funny seeing just how far people take it. People who are just cracking the door open to have a peek though may not like the part of the culture that they're being shown and bolt that door shut for good.

I think that's what Mr. Ross is there for though. He is the face of mainstream British TV, so if he says it's good, a lot of people take him seriously. Honestly, I don't think there is anything to worry about - it would obviously be a different story if it were the Daily Mail presenting the programme, but clearly this is a passionate attempt to popularise Japanese culture rather than present a Channel 5 / Bravo style look at the country's darker side.

We shall see. If all the release dates for next months DVD's get put back because sales suddenly dropped or there's a sudden line-up of new boxsets within the next few months then we'll know if the show had an impact . :p

I don't really see anything insulting in that article. The BBC and newspapers have reported on otaku culture generally in a very fair way and I don't see any reason to believe the Ross will treat it any other way. Yeah, he is a bit of a sarcastic git but that isn't a problem and people's understanding of that side of him would probably serve to lessen the impact if it does all appear a bit too nerdy.

Still, like McIcy says, I'm proud to be an otaku :p.

Battle Royal is on Film4 again right now, and I think In the Mood for Love is showing again afterwards. I've known this since Sunday, I would have e-mailed it in before if I had noticed that it was soon as Tuesday.

Back