Animal abuse. Why oh why...

I don't think it helps that neither parents or teachers can properly discipline children these days.

One smack & it's child abuse - how is that supposed to teach the difference between right and wrong?

I not saying that parents/teachers should have the right to beat children - but there are some for whom saying "don't do that it's wrong" will have no affect on.

Those kids who harmed the kitten should have their ribs & feet broken. Twice. Then they should have their eyeballs slowly scratched by an angry cat as retribution for all of cat kind. No one who intentionally harms a cat should get away with all their body parts still functioning.

chaos said:
ayase said:
Schools covering this stuff up is horrendous, but not surprising. I seem to recall even cases of sexual assault being hushed up in the past so as not to tarnish a school's reputation.
WTF?

That's too screwed up for me to believe and at the same time I can't think you'd make this up either...
I searched for proof to back up my claims but could only find American private schools and religious boarding schools, nothing in British state schools so far (which has been made public at least).

It has however been common knowledge for a long time that British boarding schools were / are pretty big on the old homosexual rape. Several famous people have said as much including the late John Peel.

ayase said:
Schools covering this stuff up is horrendous, but not surprising. I seem to recall even cases of sexual assault being hushed up in the past so as not to tarnish a school's reputation.

Yeah- my old school had this going on too. One of the Geography teachers had/has a thing for year 10 girls, so he likes to grab their ass as they go in. There have been countless complaints, and they are all ignored. He even said to two girls after a school trip; "I found what you were talking about on the bus arousing". The next day this man accused me of being a paedofile and having sex with my girlfriend who was underage. It's worth noting i'd been 16 for only 1 week at this point...

One smack & it's child abuse - how is that supposed to teach the difference between right and wrong?

It's a punishment and reward system. Many psychological experiments seem to indicate that rewards work more effectively than punishment, that's why schools are encouraged to reward kids for doing well, but not to beat the heck out of 'em for doing badly. I dunno though- I think a bit of fear helps kids in line, which will keep the peace more.

I guess the tests only prove that you're more likely to achieve when not punished...

I've come to believe that both punishment and rewards only work if used in exceptional circumstances. Basically, if you punish someone for everything they do wrong it loses it's impact and they just get used to it and shrug it off. Similarly, if you reward them for everything they do right then they expect to be rewarded constantly and become spoilt - they start doing the right thing only for the reward.

I think if someone does something exceptional, they should be physically rewarded. If they do something terrible, they should be physically punished. Otherwise verbal encouragement or reprimands should be enough.

The punishment, reward system doesn't always work. Sometimes owners are to lazy and neglect is the cruelty. Sometimes it's upbringing/environment, feeling a need to show that you are the hard guy sort of thing. Sometimes people just like to see pain and suffering and to inflict it to something themselves. We see a lot of suffering on the news and people like to watch.

You have to report it. If an authority threatens to do something if you do report it just ignore and report anyway. If the authority does do something then take it to the papers, make it high profile, you might get some form of settlement from it.

I don't believe in taking people/institutions to court simply to get a settlement but that authority deserves some punishment for covering it up, maybe it would learn a lesson and won't try such a thing again in the future.

The best deterrent would be making the identity of the person public but it would only work if the local people are so against animal cruelty that they themselves start to shun the person, make the person feel outside, make him lose his popularity so that it becomes such a taboo thing to do. Although that wouldn't stop everyone

What Asdrubael describe above is what happened to the kid of the original picture. 4chan made sure to make his life hell, untill some animal protection agency stepped in.

WRT to what Spyro said, I'd be sure to have been expelled from such an institution, as I've always been a trouble-maker and always had a strong sense of justice.

ayase said:
chaos said:
ayase said:
WTF?

That's too screwed up for me to believe and at the same time I can't think you'd make this up either...
I searched for proof to back up my claims but could only find American private schools and religious boarding schools, nothing in British state schools so far (which has been made public at least).

It has however been common knowledge for a long time that British boarding schools were / are pretty big on the old homosexual rape. Several famous people have said as much including the late John Peel.
i find that shocking that one of the greatest DJs, who was, in fact a hero amongst the Death Metal and Grindcore scene in Britian (he apparently said that Reek of Putrefaction by Carcass was his favourite release of 1988) was raped

RIP to John Peel though, Radio 1 became crap after he died and his Peel Sessions stopped

Mutsumi said:
The law is not tough enough on animal cruelty. Society must be cleansed of this criminal filth.
I think that enforcing the law is better than thoughning it up in this case.

Make sure that people who commit these things pay for it would be more important than making the 1 out of a 100 that you get prosecuted have a harsh punishment.

I'd have to plea guilty though. I've killed many ants with magnifying lens when I was younger...

I see... on what chaos was saying about him killing ants, i have to admit i hate insects but i cant bring myself to kill them, even moths*shudders*

BUT when i was like 5 i remember this bully who was like 10 forcing me to help him kill a pigeon and i still feel guilty to this day.

I say enforce the law more AND make it harsher. Strike fear into the hearts of those cruel bastards that would harm an animal for fun & make them fear for their own lives.

memorium said:
well Catholicism does have priests that abuse children, so this is hardly suprising
facepalm.jpg

Maxon said:
memorium said:
well Catholicism does have priests that abuse children, so this is hardly suprising
facepalm.jpg
Missed that the first time and I must agree with Maxon here.
Catholic priests are a great target for newspapers for all the celibate thing, which makes such scandals high profile from the start.

What's make you believe there is a higher proportion of child abusers in catholic priests than in other groups?

Hmm. I don't know. It's a bit of a sweeping statement but I can see where memorium is coming from. I suspect that because Priests were in such an "untouchable" (no pun intended) position for many years (the Catholic Church in particular having a culture of being very deferential towards it's religious leaders) a culture developed whereby because they were in positions of power and more importantly trust, whilst also thought of as being devout ("Father X wouldn't possibly do anything sinful!") that position was very attractive to paedophiles. It's not only the perfect cover but the perfect situation as well.

I'm not saying by any means all Priests or even a majority of them are / were paedophiles of course, but given my general cynicism towards organised religion (that it's a control system - Scientology gets singled out for this but is any other religion really that different?) I imagine as many people go into a career in the church for the power as do for their beliefs. It's very like politics in that regard. Politicians have more real power, no-one trusts them however. Politicians can seem to get away with monetary crimes (bribery, corruption, all that jazz... and of course war crimes) a lot of the time thanks to their power, but religious leaders seem to be able to get away with more social crimes (rape, paedophilia) which the politicians would never get away with because their opponents are always dirt digging. Neither atheists nor different religions seem to smear other religions like that, perhaps they should start.

Sorry skikes. But the topic was almost dead anyway, it might as well evolve instead. :p

How about "abuse of trust and power" being the new theme of the topic? That applies equally to people who abuse animals and other humans...

I see what you mean Ayase, but I believe it's the "untouchable" thing that make any transgressions by such people to be seeing as such a scandalous thing and make it to the papers headline easily.

Back