American producers look to remake Battle Royale

It's a shame that the re-makes are embraced by such big names as it gives them an added legitimacy. I can stomach the idea of adaptations of other media into film, be it comics, novels or even video games, but making a film based on something that is already a film just megaphones the lack of originality.
Remakes can work, but for every War of the Worlds and Dawn of the Dead there is a Stepford Wives or Omen (or Poseidon... :roll: ).

If theses remake nuts must recycle rather than innovate, why can't they remake bad films? The ones that showed potential but came out wrong or never became commercial hits.
If Oldboy gained all that critical acclaim and commercial success, surely it's an indicator that it is already great, the story has been told and told well, and in remaking it you have little room to produce something other than a lesser work?
Gah.
It's almost like they're grabbing fruit that has demonstrated that it produces juice, and trying to wring every last drop from from it rather than going to the effort of picking new fruit.

In any case, Battle Royale, USA:
the kids will be universally pretty, even the meaner or geekier characters. There will be jocks who get off on killing, but ultimately they will be killed off by a nerd or outsider, who finds strength and courage he didn't know he had. There will be the bitch character who is the queen of the high school and sadistic, but who gets her comeuppance from the plucky girl who isn't as cool but is beautiful at heart, yadda yadda yadda. Lots of lesser developed characters will be killed along the way, it will probably be a 15 rating here and not the least bit 'gritty'.

Battle Royale is probably my favourite movie, so this news makes me happy & sad at the same time. Happy that there's more Battle Royale stuff coming, which is a good thing. Sad that it's probably going to ruin the reputation of the wonderful movie...

Capuchin said:
the kids will be universally pretty, even the meaner or geekier characters.
I wouldn't have thought Yukihiro "Nobu" Kotani looked particularly nerdy, at least not in a "realistic" sense.

There will be jocks who get off on killing
Like Kiriyama?

but ultimately they will be killed off by a nerd or outsider
Like Shougo Kawada? He's not so much "nerd", but he is an outsider.

who finds strength and courage he didn't know he had.
Shuya Nanahara? I know he didn't actually kill anybody except Kitano, but you've basically described his character perfectly there.

There will be the bitch character who is the queen of the high school and sadistic
You mean Mitsuko Souma?

the plucky girl who isn't as cool but is beautiful at heart
Jesus, take your pick. I guess you're going for a Noriko Nakagawa-esque character with that one, but Yukie Utsumie could fit that profile too.

Lots of lesser developed characters will be killed along the way.
Because that didn't happen in the original... :roll:

Hence the redundancy of a remake, which will most likely offer nothing new but with less colour, style and humour. The fact that these cliches all crop up in the original makes the inevitability of their appearance in the remake even worse.

I hope it goes straight to DVD in the UK so we can quickly forget about it.

Paranoia Agent said:
A couple of 'hip' producers whose speciality is churning out Z-grade chav fodder taking on one of the most uncompromising, original films of the last decade?

heh! Nicely put... :)

Oh god no........ Does this mean that a great film could become the following (read in american cinema style voice over you expect in trailers)

Vin Diesel is the high school teacher, Drew Barrymore and Paul Walker are the students and together they're gonna massacre every student until there the only ones left.......... or until the activists get involved stage protests that this encourages violent....... (revised trailer after activists win) They're two mixed up kids and one crazy teacher and now there gonna sit down and talk out there problems in Battle Royal: Teacher Conference - This time its about grades

On the plus side it could be made by some one like Tarantino or Robert Rodriguez and it'd be kick ass but probably set in a city not a remote island.

mcicy said:
On the plus side it could be made by some one like Tarantino or Robert Rodriguez and it'd be kick ass but probably set in a city not a remote island.

Now that you mention it, I'm surprised Tarantino didn't snap this up.
He'd probably rather it wasn't remade as he is a fan,
but he'd make sure it was done right.

As for the city setting, that wouldn't be such a bad idea.
I hope they make it as different as possible,
so that the original would still feel fresh to those that haven't seen it yet.

dimlylitmonkey said:
mcicy said:

Now that you mention it, I'm surprised Tarantino didn't snap this up.
He'd probably rather it wasn't remade as he is a fan,
but he'd make sure it was done right.

As for the city setting, that wouldn't be such a bad idea.
I hope they make it as different as possible,
so that the original would still feel fresh to those that haven't seen it yet.

I agree if they make the film to similar it won't work (at least not for the fans who have seen the first one). I am hoping they do something different to make it slightly more original than just a carbon copy piece of straight to dvd junk

Most American films thses days are forgettable,
I'm sure that when the remakes are forgotten too,
it's the originals people will want to see.

Back