Amazon launches dedicated anime streaming service in the US

Oh god. I'm really starting to hate Amazon. They can shove their Prime Wall BS. Already can't get the best deals on games coz I'm not a member. I hope they fall flat on their face with this. Plus they don't seem to have had any interest in dubbing the few shows they've got so no thanks all round.

Edit. Anyone else getting that Anime boom vide from all this. was it early 2000? Too many cooks and all that?

Edit 2: Looks like some shows have dubs, so I stand corrected on that point

Last edited:
I cant understand why they would charge extra for this series unless they are using it as a trial to venture into new areas like dedicated channels. My only concern is what type of rights they aquire. Would this prevent physical releases, a similar thing has already happened with Netflix and The Seven Deadly Sins

I'm already an Amazon Prime member because I think Prime student is a pretty good deal, but I can't see myself paying additional on top of that for this. Why they don't just incorporate it into the existing Prime Video service is beyond me. Well, I'm guessing that Japanese licensors are probably demanding a high fee but if they're charging more than Hollywood studios that's just ridiculous.

I'm already an Amazon Prime member because I think Prime student is a pretty good deal, but I can't see myself paying additional on top of that for this. Why they don't just incorporate it into the existing Prime Video service is beyond me. Well, I'm guessing that Japanese licensors are probably demanding a high fee but if they're charging more than Hollywood studios that's just ridiculous.

As soon as they hear Amazon are interested in a show Yen signs start flashing in their eyes.

Anime is a medium where people have literally been worked to death, because of the lack of money and resources. It seems highly obnoxious to criticise them as greedy for taking huge sums of 'guilt free' money. You aren't entitled to be able to watch any anime series available now, and competition is good. The only issue is that Amazon's product isn't good enough to be competition...

As soon as they hear Amazon are interested in a show Yen signs start flashing in their eyes.
Which would explain why Amazon lost the one bidding war they supposedly got themselves into...

I thought the story behind the noitamina deal - which is what's driving their halfway decent exclusives - was that Amazon plonked down a completely ridiculous sum for an exclusivity contract (Justin wrote about it here Answerman - Why Do Companies Buy Rights For Territories They Don't Service?). So it's sort of the opposite; the licensors didn't get greedy and price out the usual guys so much as Amazon waltzed into the middle of the industry and threw its weight around almost out of the blue. Who wouldn't accept an offer like that?

Grabbing worldwide rights when at the time they served less than a dozen countries was jerkish and the kind of feckless behaviour which excuses piracy to a lot of people (like those in the hundreds of countries that didn't have Prime Video until the other day). And now we are seeing the second phase of their plan, and it's even dumber than it seemed.

R

I thought the story behind the noitamina deal - which is what's driving their halfway decent exclusives - was that Amazon plonked down a completely ridiculous sum for an exclusivity contract (Justin wrote about it here Answerman - Why Do Companies Buy Rights For Territories They Don't Service?). So it's sort of the opposite; the licensors didn't get greedy and price out the usual guys so much as Amazon waltzed into the middle of the industry and threw its weight around almost out of the blue. Who wouldn't accept an offer like that?

Grabbing worldwide rights when at the time they served less than a dozen countries was jerkish and the kind of feckless behaviour which excuses piracy to a lot of people (like those in the hundreds of countries that didn't have Prime Video until the other day). And now we are seeing the second phase of their plan, and it's even dumber than it seemed.

R

I think the implication of the post I was replying to is that they should have just left that money on the table and taken whatever Crunchyroll or Funimation were offering.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but they don't seem to be specifically going after exclusive first run shows for the US, it looks like this is all stuff they brought for Japanese rights and ended up with US rights too. Or an attempt to stop them from owning rights they won't use.

Indeed, I am not entitled. But I'm not going to pay an extra $5 a month on top of my Amazon Prime fee to watch Chi's Sweet Adventure when I can already watch, I dunno, Casablanca or The Hateful Eight or The Man in the High Castle with my existing subscription package.

Back