Amazon has Wii U pre-orders at £200

Joshawott

Monsieur Monster
AUKN Staff
Although there has been no information on a release date for Nintendo's next system yet, Amazon has started taking pre-orders for the Nintendo Wii - with the console being priced at £199.99.

This is most likely not the official price - and will in fact most likely be a fair bit cheaper than what the price will be. Their pre-order price guarantee is stated on the page, so if you want a Wii U, now might be the best time to pre-order.

The pre-order is currently only available on the Black one; with the White console not yet being available. Nintendo has not yet stated if the two colours (which were shown off at E3) will be made available at launch...but if not, well, you just won't get charged then will you?

For a comparison, ShopTo (another retailer) have it listed for £279.85.

I have just realised that if one says "Wii U" with sufficient speed, it becomes a malapropism for the expression, "whew". Pun-writers, take note.

Max Takeshi said:
It also says that it will be available on July 14th.

Something is most certainly amiss.
Indeed, it's definitely a slug date.

But pre-order price guarantee for when it does come out =3

Zin5ki said:
I have just realised that if one says "Wii U" with sufficient speed, it becomes a malapropism for the expression, "whew". Pun-writers, take note.
"Wii Fit U" is worse.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0JElywbkSbY?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0JElywbkSbY?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Also, just pre-ordered. Will the honour the pre-order price promise, or will they claim they made a mistake or something?

Joshawott said:
Legally, they'll have to honour their pre-order price guarantee, I'd imagine.
Nope. They couldn't charge people who pre-ordered a higher price, but they can say it was incorrectly priced, cancel the orders, re-list the item, apologise and ask people to re-order if they still want it. I've known Amazon do that before when they accidentally priced a DVD boxed set at £2.99 instead of £29.99.

Until a transaction has taken place and someone has taken money and supplied goods or a service, either party can refuse to go through with the transaction for any (or no) reason. Just like people who think a shop is obliged to sell them something for the price marked on it are talking out of their ****. The shop is well within it's rights to refuse to sell the item, re-price it and put it back on the shelf.

Amazon have now stopped people pre-ordering the console. Although the item still appears in my order history.

ayase said:
Joshawott said:
Legally, they'll have to honour their pre-order price guarantee, I'd imagine.
Nope. They couldn't charge people who pre-ordered a higher price, but they can say it was incorrectly priced, cancel the orders, re-list the item, apologise and ask people to re-order if they still want it. I've known Amazon do that before when they accidentally priced a DVD boxed set at £2.99 instead of £29.99.

Until a transaction has taken place and someone has taken money and supplied goods or a service, either party can refuse to go through with the transaction for any (or no) reason. Just like people who think a shop is obliged to sell them something for the price marked on it are talking out of their ****. The shop is well within it's rights to refuse to sell the item, re-price it and put it back on the shelf.
Fair enough. Shame...

As the console reached number 15 in their best selling chart in the short time it was available to pre-order, hopefully Amazon will be like "Good PR if we stick to the guarantee!"....bet they won't though.

EDIT:
Amazon have confirmed that the pre-order price guarantee still applies.

EDIT 2:
Come on Amazon, be consistent!

Hello,

We're writing to you regarding to your order 026-7499467-6732348 for the Nintendo Wii U (Black) console. Your order has been cancelled as this product was listed on Amazon.co.uk in error. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.

You will not be charged for your order.

If you're interested in ordering the Nintendo Wii U console when it becomes available, you can sign up to receive an email here:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004Y59P3A

We hope to see you again soon.

Warmest regards,

Customer Service Department
Amazon.co.uk

Booo!!!

Hello,

We're writing to you regarding to your order xxx-xxxxxxx-xxxxxxx for the Nintendo Wii U (Black) console. Your order has been cancelled as this product was listed on Amazon.co.uk in error. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.

You will not be charged for your order.

If you're interested in ordering the Nintendo Wii U console when it becomes available, you can sign up to receive an email here:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004Y59P3A

We hope to see you again soon.

Warmest regards,

Customer Service Department
Amazon.co.uk

Oh well, it was worth a try.

Yup.

I just looked up Invitation to Treat Laws and Amazon's Terms of Sale and cancelling the orders is legal - their Terms of Sale even has a clause dedicated to it.

Would have been good PR if they said "Y'know, the error was only available for a short period of time - we might as well charge those people that did pre-order it the £199.99" especially considering how far it got in the sales chart (I saw it at 12, but I hear some reports that it got to number 1). But nah, they decided to be a corporation instead.

mangaman74 said:
It may have been good PR but considering the state of the economy taking a possible £100 loss per unit wouldn't have been a good idea.
The annoying this, Nintendo has yet to even announce how much the console will cost. So we have no idea what retailers are paying for it at wholesale either *sigh*

Just fyi guys, Shop to is very deliberately advertising "pre-order the Wii U and games" on its site, with the console priced at £280.

I'm assuming with such flagrant advertising they must be at least fairly close to the mark...

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Just fyi guys, Shop to is very deliberately advertising "pre-order the Wii U and games" on its site, with the console priced at £280.

I'm assuming with such flagrant advertising they must be at least fairly close to the mark...
Doesn't their page also say the price can change at any point and there is no pre-order price guarantee there?

Joshawott said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:

Doesn't their page also say the price can change at any point and there is no pre-order price guarantee there?

Well I didn't read that, so it probably does. Mea culpa.

Back