Am i the only one that....

sanji no 1

Vampire Ninja
...Thinks Trigun is overrated?

Ive been watching alot of anime reviews on youtube lately, and in there reviews they always mention how good Trigun is or how "epic" it is. I have seen the series TWICE and i still cant get into it. I admit it is good. vash and Legato were cool, the animation was good for its time, but i just cant see what the hype is! I didnt really like any of the characters, I didnt hate Knives even though it kind of forced me to and i didnt really think it was that sad.

Im not trying to hate on this series, im gonna buy the movie when it comes out, but what do people see in this?

A friend of mine really likes it, and my brother does (or used to?), but I'm apathetic about it to the point I haven't actually watched it, so whilst I can't say whether I think it's overrated, I can say it's not persuaded me to watch it as yet.

It was a cool show, not anything absolutely amazing in my opinion. Then again I feel the same way about Gurren Lagann, I'll never understand why everyone loves it :roll:

@sanji no 1 and kippy666

well look at it this way gurren largann and trigun are unique for there time if you ask me.

first time i watched both of these shows i was blown away

I've only watched the first episode and give it up, didn't hold my interest. Same with Gurren Lagann, still haven't got round to finishing it, but i don't care either way, it wasn't really that entertaining for me.

Sanji no 1 <object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K2v-8ctq5x4?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K2v-8ctq5x4?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

*long sigh* I don't think I'll ever tire of posting that vid....

Sorry anyway

vash and Legato were cool
:thumb: *
I didnt really like any of the characters
:?
I didnt hate Knives

Wasn't the whole point that you weren't meant to hate Knives? Your meant to be able to sympathize with him and how he took the opposite road to Vash. Thus the show ended how it did.

but what do people see in this

I think most of the appeal for me is down to the oddball humour/ characters and the unique outlook Vash has for the hero of an action anime. Also the dub is great and it's the many brilliant little moments(like when Vash waits years outside the spaceship for Knives to return and solomly sighs "I'm so lonely") that really make the show special. But rather like AF's recent experience with Harurhi, I think you probably know all this but you expected something more due to typical internet hype.

*I don't even actually think Legatto was ever a very good character, to be honest.

kippy666 said:
It was a cool show, not anything absolutely amazing in my opinion. Then again I feel the same way about Gurren Lagann, I'll never understand why everyone loves it :roll:

I like Gurren Lagann but it's not TEH GRAETEST SHO EVAR. I do like Trigun a lot though, one of my top 10. I think because it manages to mix oddball humour with poignant moments and coll action set pieces without feeling schizophrenic. I also like the character of Vash, he's a total badass and manages without killing anyone. I would say though: Don't buy the movie. If you didn't like the series, you won't like the movie, it's more of the same. Frankly, as a fan I didn't love it as much as I expected anyway, there wasn't much Vash in it and it played out a little like the Little Arcadia episode in structure/ plot in a way. One of those human/ character piece side-stories with little actual bearing on the main plot.

Trigun is pretty good, good enough for me to buy anyways. It isnt wonderous, but its good enough. Has good comedy, a reasonable story and good animation.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
I like Gurren Lagann but it's not TEH GRAETEST SHO EVAR.
I don't think so either, but I understand why some people think it is. Gurren Lagann does what it does bigger, bolder, louder, and with more panache than just about anything else.

Trigun, on the other hand, has less to distinguish it. Personally I vastly prefer Gun X Sword, a show that takes inspiration from Trigun (amongst others) but gives its premise a more interesting spin: the antagonist is a dangerously misguided pacifist, while the protagonist is hell-bent on revenge against said pacifist. It looks a lot better, too, plus the girls are sexier ^___^

fabricatedlunatic said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
I like Gurren Lagann but it's not TEH GRAETEST SHO EVAR.
I don't think so either, but I understand why some people think it is. Gurren Lagann does what it does bigger, bolder, louder, and with more panache than just about anything else.

Trigun, on the other hand, has less to distinguish it. Personally I vastly prefer Gun X Sword, a show that takes inspiration from Trigun (amongst others) but gives its premise a more interesting spin: the antagonist is a dangerously misguided pacifist, while the protagonist is hell-bent on revenge against said pacifist. It looks a lot better, too, plus the girls are sexier ^___^

That's as maybe but I think Milly Thompson is one of the best female anime characters around, even if she isn't "sexy".

^

Millie is awesome! Such a likable and funny character.

Personally I vastly prefer Gun X Sword,

I had the opposite experience with Gun Sword. I went into it thinking I would like it due to the obvious inspiration it takes from Trigun, Bebop and the like, but I ended up really disliking the show and didn't even finish it. I guess it does try to take things to a higher level of weirdness, but it didn't gel for me at all, I also found the humour to be more crass and desperate but far less funny. I felt it was a bit like the product you would get if a board meeting brainstormed the then current "cool anime things and shows" and tried to bosch them all into one.

I can't deny that Gun X Sword is derivative, but the way in which the show wears its influences on its sleeve is something I find almost admirable. Gun X Sword totally knows it's derivative, and it knows the audience knows it's derivative, and it has some fun with that. It's Goro Taniguchi (Code Geass) all over.

But I also think it transcends its derivative nature with the sort of anti-hero and philosophy not often seen in anime, as well as the sheer entertainment value.

Back