Afro Samurai manga-ka at October's London Expo

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
In a little under two weeks, the London MCM Expo (20-21 Oct) will be kicking off and in addition to three already confirmed anime-related guests (English dub voice actors Johnny Yong Bosch, Laura Bailey and Colleen Clinkenbeard), GDH (Gonzo) <a href="http://www.londonexpo.com/animevillage.shtml">will be attending </a>with manga-ka Takashi Okazaki (the original creator of their popular Afro Samurai TV series). Indeed, it's a rare but welcome sign to see an actual Japanese guest appearing at an anime-related event in the UK.

It's interesting how Gonzo seem to be taking an active role in the UK, even though it's all connected to Afro Samurai. I wonder if they will stick around once the interest in that title fades a little...?

Paul said:
It's interesting how Gonzo seem to be taking an active role in the UK, even though it's all connected to Afro Samurai. I wonder if they will stick around once the interest in that title fades a little...?

Yeah it somthing to wonder about :? If Gonzo did start playing an active part in the UK it would be cool. But then again at the same time the question why the UK comes to mind :?:

If he is signing, It seems I'll have to pick up the Afro Samurai release, just for the sake of it. Not too keen on it though.

It is definately intriguing how Gonzo are going to be there as a separate entity. I would also like to know what they are thinking... Something I wonder as well - does the Amazon limited version of Afro Samurai use the same English dub as Funimation's?

I have another piece of news about Afro Samurai to add at a later date, too tired and over-worked at the moment =)

Paul said:

GONZO want to market their own products but the UK Anime market (or lack there of) makes it difficult to do that... which is why Afro Samurai is the 1st title they have decided to fully market and distribute themselves, the Hollywood cast and music also makes it the only title big enough for them to really try and do it themselves.

If Afro is a success, GONZO want to start marketing more stuff in the UK themselves, which means more titles and more publicity for Anime in general. It all really depends on Afro though...

Are you employed by GONZO (or rather, GDH), then?

If that's the case, I (and the collective UK anime industry) have some questions for you. Obviously, this is the first time I've actually read someone "admitting" that GONZO are pushing to release anime in the UK themselves.

yes... I do, I deal with alot of the online stuff for Afro in the UK. I was also... at the expo. So fire questions via PM if you want... I'll be happy to answer what I know

Back