ADV to make anime available via downloads

Noratav

Student Council President
The following news turned up at eyeonanime.co.uk on Thursday but ADV elaborated on it a bit more at the expo.

ADV are going to make some of their titles available for Download to Rent and Download to Own on
Initial titles will be:
Only Online: Air Gear, Chance Pop Session, Comic Party Revolution - the ONLY way to see these in the U.K.!
Brand New: Guyver: The Bioboosted Armor, Jinki: Extend, Gilgamesh
Classic Features: Sin: The Movie, Lady Death, Parasite Dolls
Prices will be £3 - £3.50 to rent a DVDs worth of episodes and £9.99 to buy a DVDs worth episodes. They're selling these things by DVD volume and not by the episode.

The most notable and controversial thing though is that they're planning on releasing several titles for download which they do not plan to release on DVD, most notably Air Gear. According to ADV, if they want to release a title but don't think it wil be popular enough to justify a DVD release they plan to release it for download instead. He did say though that if a download only title becomes popular enough they may release it on DVD too. On the flip side though, the downloads will be released day and date with the US releases (something they're unable to do with DVDs) and for the first few months Air Gear vol 1 will be free.

Noratav said:
...£9.99 to buy a DVDs worth episodes. They're selling these things by DVD volume and not by the episode.

Sorry but I aint paying for something that only consists of 'data' that I 'have' to watch on a PC when I can usually buy the DVDs cheaper than that if i'm willing to wait long enough. :?

Noratav said:
The most notable and controversial thing though is that they're planning on releasing several titles for download which they do not plan to release on DVD, most notably Air Gear. According to ADV, if they want to release a title but don't think it wil be popular enough to justify a DVD release they plan to release it for download instead.

Right, that just means those that want a physical copy will have them imported instead. :?

Noratav said:
He did say though that if a download only title becomes popular enough they may release it on DVD too.

Which will never happen because people will have imported them. :?

This news is just ******, how does this help the UK anime market to grow? If it's not on a shelf how are Joe Public going to even 'know' about it? :x

Looks like my list of imports is going to grow. :(

Noratav said:
The following news turned up at eyeonanime.co.uk on Thursday but ADV elaborated on it a bit more at the expo.

ADV are going to make some of their titles available for Download to Rent and Download to Own on
Initial titles will be:
Only Online: Air Gear, Chance Pop Session, Comic Party Revolution - the ONLY way to see these in the U.K.!
Brand New: Guyver: The Bioboosted Armor, Jinki: Extend, Gilgamesh
Classic Features: Sin: The Movie, Lady Death, Parasite Dolls
Prices will be £3 - £3.50 to rent a DVDs worth of episodes and £9.99 to buy a DVDs worth episodes. They're selling these things by DVD volume and not by the episode.

The most notable and controversial thing though is that they're planning on releasing several titles for download which they do not plan to release on DVD, most notably Air Gear. According to ADV, if they want to release a title but don't think it wil be popular enough to justify a DVD release they plan to release it for download instead. He did say though that if a download only title becomes popular enough they may release it on DVD too. On the flip side though, the downloads will be released day and date with the US releases (something they're unable to do with DVDs) and for the first few months Air Gear vol 1 will be free.

Everything about ADV's plans implies 'FAIL'.

I doubt these download services will ever really take off unless evolution starts to go the opposite way or they have episodes for something like 20p an episode and with no copy protection.

The only reason I buy anime is if I really like a series and buy it to support the industry, or if it has some sweet extras or a limited edition box. I certainly wouldn't pay to download episodes, considering how easy it is to download them for free.

This idea has more holes in it than I'd like to admit to be comfetable.

For starters, Air Gear was a poorly done adapataion and by the end point still had Censor Crows when it came to the dvd release. Secondly, Why the hell are they releaseing Comic Party Revolution without previously releaseing Comic Party?

Also, thier freaking dilusional if they think "Lady Death" is a clasic.

In short, thier online stratagy is nucking futs and once it fails Adv will be indignant about it and such and probaly do some other stupid nonsnece.

Thier real plan of action at this point would be to point people's attention to thier anime network on that channel that escapes my mind at this point, even if it includes *gag* Elfin Lied.
Also, taking the starting RRP down to 15 pounds like Revolation's Funimation releases is also a good idea.

Back