ADV box set title solicitations

FUNimation are reporting lots and lots of profits, so obviously there is money to be made from anime. I think ADV need better management is all. Losing potentially very popular series like Gurren Lagann and failing to get Rebuild of Evangelion seems like poor decisions to me.

Maybe I'm just seeing it in a distorted way, but at least the final volumes are being released in one form or another.

Tokyopop aren't releasing the final volumes in physical form of some series at all.

The whole strategy has to do with consolidating any unprofitable areas. Piq never gained the success it should have, so closing it seems logical. Maybe ADV will do something similar to what Manga said they'd do (the whole trade in the volumes you've got for the entire set), time will tell.

And CG, Renewal hasn't been announced as licensed at all yet has it? There's still a chance that ADV have it, or are in the process of bidding for it.

CitizenGeek said:
FUNimation are reporting lots and lots of profits, so obviously there is money to be made from anime. I think ADV need better management is all. Losing potentially very popular series like Gurren Lagann and failing to get Rebuild of Evangelion seems like poor decisions to me.

Any1 got a good recent link to funi profits?

I've started collecting 3x3 eyes and seraphic feather from dark Horse which never got finished. On top of that, when they started releasing they requested the scanlantions to stop releasing, I thought to myself that's only fair and started collecting...

But it never saw the light of day... :'(

Kireek said:
Any1 got a good recent link to funi profits?
Nope, but general gossip over at animeondvd.com reports that since Geneon kicked the bucket Funi had a bit of a boost in sales.

The Dragonball Z season sets are their biggest seller as well if that's of any help...

Those DBZ seasons are a bloody bargain is the reason. Say what you want about the cropping, at about £20 for 35-ish eps, thats fantastic value.

Ramadahl said:
hopeful_monster said:
Even most live action series like Lost or Heroes seem to be coming out in boxsets either whole or half series.
That's because enough people buy series like that for them to make plenty of cash off just the boxsets.
True, but not the point I was trying to make. People now expect boxsets for live action shows, and if anime wants to expand they will have to meet the expectations of the people

Afina-Darkholme said:
IM ANGRY, I ORDERED THE BOX SET OF RED GARDEN, THE COMPLETE SET BUT IT WAS CANCELLED AND NO REASON EVEN GIVEN TO THE COMPANY IT WAS BEING SOLD THORUGH WHICH WAS PLAY.COM
You meen beyond the fact that it's a gonzo show which is condusive to the fact that it's probably going to be sucktacular and Play.com probably saved you the money to go buy a real show?

Afina-Darkholme said:
IM ANGRY, I ORDERED THE BOX SET OF RED GARDEN, THE COMPLETE SET BUT IT WAS CANCELLED AND NO REASON EVEN GIVEN TO THE COMPANY IT WAS BEING SOLD THORUGH WHICH WAS PLAY.COM
What a first post. Welcome to the world of 21st Century anime & manga collecting (and the forum, if you're not going to shout). I'm still waiting for Yotsuba 6.

This is very old news, given that ADV (US) lost their licences to that show along with many others, which ultimately meant they could not be distributed in the UK by ADV at least until they clarify the situation or another distributor for the UK is chosen.

Back