ADV box set title solicitations

Zen 2nd

School Idol
Eye On Anime said:
New ADV UK title solicitations have appeared on AnimeOnDVD.com.
One for a Kurau Phantom Memory collection due out on 28/07/08 and another for a Red Garden Collection due out a month later on 25/08/08, both for the bargain price of £34.99 each.

The worrying thing is that in both series cases, the single volumes yet to be released have been cancelled in favour of these sets, in Kurau’s case it’s the final 2 volumes and with Red Garden it’s the final 3 volumes.

Of course this box set switching practice is one that Manga Ent have employed on such sets as Heat Guy J, Noein and Tokko, and they show no signs of slowing down any time soon…

This news just annoys the crap out of me, seeing as I have been collecting Kurau and there is no way in hell am I paying for a boxset just to get the last 2 volumes and who the hell would want to buy the first 4 volumes from me if they can't buy the last 2?

It doesn't seem like ADV are doing a refund thing that Manga did when they moved singled releases to a boxset. I'll guess I'll have to sell them now before they rapidly drop in price.

I'm all for box sets and will be picking up Red Garden this way (I wasn't collecting either so got lucky...) but this is pretty insulting and the kind of thing which trains customers not to buy singles at all in future. It's pretty much the same price as two singles for the entire set but all that does is remind you that you paid for four more which none of the new buyers had to.

R

I'm not particularly interested as of now in both them shows, really. Although, with boxsets on the horizon I may have to look them up, if they aren't them horrid M-Lock cases. I have a feeling they'll still release the last two in volume form, It doesn't seem like they would just stop releasing volumes when they have new series' coming out like that (Welcome to the NHK, ;D)

Volume 6 of Kurau is listed on Play.com, Whilst volume 5 is missing. There is also the last volume of Red Garden on there, which makes me believe even more so they aren't cuttin' them off.

Oh adv, have you fallen so far that you had to follow MANGA's example of how to fail at anime distribution.

Please, if nothing else, Die with something resembling grace.

I am angered greatly by this How Dare They Do This! From now on I won't bother buying a series till its all out. If this is the way things are going to be for those that support the singles releases as an when there released why bother.

Wow, and boxsets are normally a good thing. This is appalling anyway, it's one of the most despicable marketing tactics I've ever seen, one I'd hoped I'd seen the last of with Manga. It shows a complete lack of respect for buyers and reeks of desperation. Poor show ADV :evil:

Sigh what a mess there in.............. i mean i was looking at pumpkin scissors vol 1 in the shops yesterday.........i now have second thoghts on buying it incase they randomly realease a box set half way thru.

Piq magazine has gone to pot with no word on money back for subscribers

And about what 3 months ago ledford blamed fansubs and then put welcome to the nhk on crunchyroll 2 months later!!!!!!!!!!

ADV used to be good.

Kireek said:
Sigh what a mess there in.............. i mean i was looking at pumpkin scissors vol 1 in the shops yesterday.........i now have second thoghts on buying it incase they randomly realease a box set half way thru.

I forgot that was ADV. Gotta love the way they recently started putting how many volumes to expect on the back of cases, letting you know what you're in for - and then doing this. If they do the same thing with Pumpkin Scissors it really will be the final straw for me.

I'm interested to hear what they'll say to defend themselves over this fiasco now. At least Manga did a refund.

Hate to piss on anyone's parade (or shout that be tirade) but at least for Kurau there seems to be single releases of the all the remaining DVD's as shownhere. Also looking around the Kurau boxset can be bought for about £25 off play.com. only £5 more than a the RRP of a single DVD and you get both of the last episodes.
Though I will agree it is a little weird and irritating for them to to this I am more worried that pissed off. Since I don't know how well the 2 shows have been selling (since trying to get anime sale figures is like trying to get an acurate release date for Duke Nukem Forever) both seem show are ones touted as strong sellers and ones likely to pull in cash for ADV. If these seemingly safe show are floundering to this extent what hope is there for the fringe shows to even get onto the shelves let alone finished.
Wonder if this is a step toward most future releases being in boxset format. Manga now seem to be doing this, Beez now seem to offer boxsets of there license (eventually), and even MVM are doing it (judging by there releases of Battle Vixens and Witchblade). Even most live action series like Lost or Heroes seem to be coming out in boxsets either whole or half series.

That's what I said, but no one seems to care. They always want something to nitpick (not like I'm one to talk. ;p). Both Kurau and Red Garden have dates. More problem on the latter, since, half of it hasn't even been released in the US, yet.

hopeful_monster said:
Even most live action series like Lost or Heroes seem to be coming out in boxsets either whole or half series.
That's because enough people buy series like that for them to make plenty of cash off just the boxsets.

Jayme said:
Both Kurau and Red Garden have dates.
Pre-order away by all means but you won't get anything. ADV have already said they'll be cancelling these volumes before they're released (as mentioned in the first post). The news only just hit so there's not been time to remove them from online sites just yet.

The only good thing I can see is that the boxes are cheaper than buying the remaining singles anyway, but that's small consolation fot those who had already given ADV the benefit of the doubt. :(

well, what do you expect for those who worship at the feet of the dreaded spector of Moe in favour of Lagann and Keroro Gunsou?

ADV started down a dark path when they canceled Mermaid Melody only after some two years of holding onto the licence.
And I am aware that I'm lambasting them for not releaseing what could be concidered a moe title, back off.

To me ADV died when they blamed fansubs only to put NHK on the biggest fansub group (crunchyroll) 2 months later.

Another thing NHK vol 1 DVD comes out soon....do people buy it only to see that there not realeasing the rest of the single volumes??? we need clarification.

Back