[adult swim]'s 2012 April Fools Day Prank: Toonami

theirsbailiff

School Idol
No, I'm not making this up at all. This is a thing that's actually happened.
Nerd Reactor Link

This is probably the best news you’ll hear all day. Last night, Cartoon Network viewers were treated to a very special April Fool’s joke. Cartoon Network’s normal Adult Swim programming was replaced by the return of Toonami.
Voice actor Steve Blum returned to once again voice the Toonami MC, TOM. Tom appeared in a new form and there were even new bumpers for the shows. Among the shows played last night, Toonami aired some of its familiar programming like Dragon Ball Z, Gundam Wing, Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki, Outlaw Star, Big O, Yu Yu Hakusho, Blue Submarine #6, Trigun, Bleach and Astro Boy.
Tom even did a review of Mass Effect 3 and gave it a score of 8.5/10. Tom said he loved the game but the ending was “weak,” which is funny, because Steve Blum also does the voice of everyone’s favorite tank grown Korgan, Grunt.
No word yet if this is just a Apirl Fool’s thing or if Cartoon Network is seriously thinking of bring back Toonami. Steve Blum released this on his official facebook fanpage:

“For the record, Wikipedia, I did NOT say it’s here to stay. …But I sure hope so. Let ‘em know you want it, people.
Late. End Transmission. XO
T.O.M.”

You heard the man, want Toonami back on Cartoon Network? Let em know!
Also, make sure to check out the video of Tom’s review of Mass Effect 3 below.
Mass Effect 3 Review

All videos relating to this event

Wikipedia Article
Shows broadcasted

This can go two ways;

Way #1 - This was a backdoor pilot for a "90's are all that" (A block on TeenNick which bacsicaly takes Adult Swim's stich and applies it to 90's Nickelodeon shows which, it's important for this discussion, was widely popular and has expanded beyond it's original timeslots) block for actions shows (and stuff like Giantor, Astroboy and Mr T, as they are want to do) on Adult Swim and CN will finally behave like a Cartoon Network for once.

Way #2 - This means nothing, Adult Swim airs whatever two bit POS Tim and Eric fart they had lined up and people will finally leave them for dead.

I don't know. I mean, realistically, I'm expecting nothing to happen from all of this like, same business as usual. But then, what with fans of Toonami starting this campaign of Emailing Cartoon Network and Adult Swim with messages of bringing back Toonami and encouraging people to buy the DVDs advertised in the hopes that Funimation (And to a lesser extent, Viz), who would see quite a spike in DVD sales if it were to happen, to sponsor the block, if possible.

ConanThe3rd said:
This can go two ways;

Way #1 - This was a backdoor pilot for a "90's are all that" (A block on TeenNick which bacsicaly takes Adult Swim's stich and applies it to 90's Nickelodeon shows) block for actions shows (and stuff like Giantor, Astroboy and Mr T, as they are want to do) on Adult Swim and CN will finally behave like a Cartoon Network for once.

Way #2 - This means nothing, Adult Swim airs whatever two bit POS Tim and Eric fart they had lined up and people will finally leave them for dead.
You pretty much hit the nail on the head, there.

I think this deal was that they aired the shows for free in exchange for pimping out the DVD sets. Which is a nice change from the cocky attitude of "Nah, you pay us to show animu, yeah?" they previously had.

Since this Toonami stunt has probably gained more attention than they expected, which results in high ratings for CN, and free advertising for Funi/Bandai/etc, they'd be incredibly stupid not to convert their same-old same-old "New Bleach with Bebop and FLCL reruns" anime block into a "Get free stuff from Funi in exchange for pimping out DVDs" Toonami.

The effects could, quite possibly, heighten mainstream anime popularity to levels not seen since pre-05.

Or, as I've stated, they can look a gift horse in the mouth, tell it to screw off and completely sink CN for the not a kid, not a stoner demographic.

On that note; Nick UK, where's the 90's love over here?! You were born in the 90's dood!

Paradox295 said:
You pretty much hit the nail on the head, there.

I think this deal was that they aired the shows for free in exchange for pimping out the DVD sets. Which is a nice change from the cocky attitude of "Nah, you pay us to show animu, yeah?" they previously had.

Since this Toonami stunt has probably gained more attention than they expected, which results in high ratings for CN, and free advertising for Funi/Bandai/etc, they'd be incredibly stupid not to convert their same-old same-old "New Bleach with Bebop and FLCL reruns" anime block into a "Get free stuff from Funi in exchange for pimping out DVDs" Toonami.

The effects could, quite possibly, heighten mainstream anime popularity to levels not seen since pre-05.

I wouldn't put my hopes up too high, Paradox. Sure, mainstream popularity would be higher (If done right), but I don't think it would be that high.

ConanThe3rd said:
On that note; Nick UK, where's the 90's love over here?! You were born in the 90's dood!

Actually, they were around since 1979. Just though I'd let you know.

ConanThe3rd said:
theirsbailiff said:
ConanThe3rd said:

Actually, they were around since 1979. Just though I'd let you know.
Nick UK? Really?

Oh, you meant that Nick. Yep. 1/9/93, the day Nickelodeon debuted in the UK.

Also, Cartoon Network debuted here a few weeks later to Nick and Disney Channel debuted two years later in October 1995.

Hey this got a mention on ANN: LINK

Adult Swim Gauges Interest in Bringing Back Toonami

adultswim.jpg

Cartoon Network brought back Toonami with Dragon Ball Z, Gundam W, more on April 1

Adult Swim, the cable and satellite network that is paired with Cartoon Network, asked its Twitter followers if they want the Toonami programming block back. Cartoon Network temporarily brought back Toonami this past weekend for April Fool's Day, with reruns of such anime as Dragon Ball Z, Mobile Suit Gundam Wing, Tenchi Muyo!, Outlaw Star, Blue Submarine No. 6, Trigun, and more. The marathon even included newly produced bumper videos of Toonami's mascot T.O.M.

Cartoon Network ended Toonami in 2008 after an 11-year run.

I watched the stream as it happened, I would like it to return but only if it doesn't rehash the same boring, exhausted shows such as DBZ and Gundam WING. Such a bore.

I think a revived Toonami could do rather well if it introduced some new programming like One Piece or--if it were to end up dubbed--the 2011 HUNTERxHUNTER to its roster. I keep up with the latter each week, and I feel that it's perfectly tailored for kids television. I'd like to think the younger audience would get a blast out of it, and older fanatics might tune in if it meant getting a glimpse of the upcoming dub that'd be destined for a DVD release--though that's contingent on the TV broadcast coming out first. One Piece seems equally ideal insofar as it possesses hundreds upon hundreds of episodes that would allow for a Dragonball Z-esque approach of playing a new episode every day until a "season" ends.

Toriko might seem a bit unusual, but I'd deem it a viable enough candidate, as well--though, admittedly, I haven't seen any of it, and I could be talking utter tosh.

There have to be at least a couple of new shows out there that could catch on with Western youngsters--and I'd really like to see them headline a new Toonami.

My memory's failed me: what went wrong with Naruto on Toonami? I was always under the impression that it was doing very well--so why'd it migrate to Disney XD?

Uppa said:
My memory's failed me: what went wrong with Naruto on Toonami? I was always under the impression that it was doing very well--so why'd it migrate to Disney XD?
It did very well, actually.

The main problem with Toonami was that during the TOM3 (2003-2007) period, they had the exact same audience as Adult Swim Action, so there was constantly the trouble of where to put each show.

So, to get around this problem, they changed Toonami to aim for kids, introducing the TOM4 pixar-esque version.

They license a bunch of Shonen Jump shows, like Prince of Tennis, etc, which no-one watches apart from Naruto, which results in the entire block getting axed, Naruto airing on it's own, then eventually it disappearing.

animefreak17 said:
Which shows would you suggest then. I know it would need new shows but a few of the classics would be nice too
Probably something like Sgt. Frog, the only show that should come back is Yu Yu Hakusho. It was just DBZ but actually good and treated rather poorly.

We don't have adult swim over here and you know how the people * can't remember who there called* don't want to see violence on tv for kids ( some animes do ) but besides that, i think adult swim would do well if it was near the animation sector on sky. We had anime central and I think why it didn't do so well was cause kids and people who didn't know what anIme was and ............... Look at it this way-

Your kid and you want to watch a kick ass cartoon and and let's say anime central was on tv but the kid didn't know what anime was and was only looking in the cartoon sector and at the time anime central was in the 200s sector or something. So it would of been best if anime central was in the cartoon area on sky.

So if we did have adult swim and toonami it would be best to have them near cartoon network or disney ( I don't think so near Disney ) it might get a few more fans for anime and toonami.

Somebody needs to grow a pair and air something aimed to that age demographic that isn't pre season 6 Doctor Who.

Litterly, take every show that got booted in the face because it dare cater to someone over the age of 8 and make thier own channel.

Course, who am I kidding, I mean it's not like Manga has STARZ media or anything backing them up right?

I swear to christ, sometimes....

@AF17

Problem I had with Anime Central was by the time I found out about it:

- It was only running late nights
- It only seemed to show the same one or two shows

Having it in the kids section would be stupid if the shows themselves aren't targetted towards kids. I would prefer for there to be a channel block over an actual channel as that's likely to survive longer.

Back