A style or a place of origin? Your definition of manga

I think it is a regional thing. I mean, yeah you can have stills that look manga-like, but just don't feel manga if you get me. The drawings are only half of manga, I think, the other half being the story.

Plus when other countries try to dabble in manga and anime, you end up with such god awful productions as Teen Titans (T_T)

I don't think it really matters in the end. "Manga" is something to do with Japan and comics and that's about all anyone really needs to know.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
To me manga is like Champagne. It's only true Champagne if it comes from the Champagne region of Northeast France, otherwise it's just sparkling wine.

I agree with that. Western manga should be called "Gainga" or something (gaijin + manga = Gainga)

It is really as simple as this. Manga is not an english word - Its not even in the english language (though they'll probably change that because its used so much). Its a Japanese word and to be able to use (like all Japanese words) it has to be translated into english. Its translation is comics or print cartoons - thats it. However because the art form of these comics was so different to our own we have adopted this Japanese word (remember its not ours) to describe it.

I say was because now we use the art form so much that its not different anymore.

Lerion said:
WTFDaveMustaine said:
To me manga is like Champagne. It's only true Champagne if it comes from the Champagne region of Northeast France, otherwise it's just sparkling wine.

I agree with that. Western manga should be called "Gainga" or something (gaijin + manga = Gainga)

Or they could just be called "comics". In the grand scheme of things, does it really matter if they look like Japanese comics or not?

Back