A Sign of Affection Volume 1

I'm so happy to see you enjoyed this series as much as I do! I've been following it on Crunchyroll where they're offering a simulpub and the series really has gone from strength to strength.

When I first started it I did it off the back of wanting to read the mangaka's new work, since I'm a big fan of Shortcake Cake and honestly I expected A Sign of Affection to follow in its footsteps and be a cutesy series, so I wasn't really prepared for the emotional depth on offer here! I certainly appreciate how much care and attention has gone into the subject matter and even after this first volume it continues to deliver on that front. :)

Fans of A Silent Voice, or anyone who wants a cute, new romance manga to fall in love with, look no further than this.

Continue reading...
Totally sold on this. Pleasantly surprised to see it on crunchyroll when searching, unpleasantly irritated to see a whole bunch of missing chapters crunchyroll style. Sigh, if only there was an exhaustive digital, better yet physical (lovefilm style) rental service for manga...

Was also impressed by the sound elements represented in visual form from Yuki's perspective as you highlighted. Reminds me of how much I enjoy the realism relating to sound in the sci fi genre, with shows & movies like the more recent Battlestar Galactica, Firefly & Gravity, amongst others, being brave enough to depict sound effects in the void of space.

Edit: just spotted my typo and the above was meant to say "...brave enough to omit sound effects...".

Last edited:
Totally sold on this. Pleasantly surprised to see it on crunchyroll when searching, unpleasantly irritated to see a whole bunch of missing chapters crunchyroll style. Sigh, if only there was an exhaustive digital, better yet physical (lovefilm style) rental service for manga...

That's not actually Crunchyroll's fault, it's a quirk of the licensing from Kodansha. Anything from them loses chapters when a volume containing them is released.

That's not actually Crunchyroll's fault, it's a quirk of the licensing from Kodansha. Anything from them loses chapters when a volume containing them is released.
I was not aware of these odd licensing arrangements, but hey ho, I'm glad for there still being most issues included within the crunchyroll subscription and I generally view their manga library as a bonus.

Back