A little viewing advice...

Phobos

Titan
So recently I got my 4 year old niece to watch howls moving castle (got to start converting from day 1, hehe) and she has fallen in love with it. Would love to keep the converting going however my tastes are not exactly appropriate for her so was wondering if anyone could suggest some titles? Only prerequisite is that it has to have a dub.

My niece was around teh same age when she watched Ponyo with me, so the more magical Ghibli titles are probably dead certs for her. Other than that maybe something like Kaleido Star (I loved it and it is perfect for younger kids especially girls seeing as it's set in a circus and the main character is a female)

Other Ghibli movies seem a given (agree with britguy's call of Ponyo first up, also Totaro, Kiki's, Arrietty, some of the others not sure for a four year old but people might disagree with me).

Other movies, Mai Mai Miracle, Summer Wars, Wolf Children maybe.

TV series I have less clue of what would be good but maybe Pretty Cure, Ojamajo Doremi, Shugo Chara!, Cardcaptor Sakura and other magical girl shows.

Definitely go through the rest of the Ghibli catalogue first - there's so many other absolute gems in there.

As for other directors - Summer Wars is a must see, and very suited to younger viewers.

animefreak17 said:
Let's see

Spirited away
Wolf children
Almost all the gibli films........almost
K-ON
Fruits basket

Definitely got to be careful with Ghibli stuff, there's a few that'd freak a 4 year old out, I recall being scared of some things in Nausicaa when I was young. (Parents rented that Warriors of the Wind video and it wasn't till 15 years later I spotted a Nausicaa figure and made the connection of what I'd seen back then)

Fruits Basket is great, but not ideally aimed at Children

To be honest I'm not sure there's tons of stuff that fits the bill, original sailormoon could work, cardcaptors aswell. Maybe mix in some US animation to help lay a foundation of appreciation for animated shows.

Rosencrantz said:
Definitely got to be careful with Ghibli stuff, there's a few that'd freak a 4 year old out, I recall being scared of some things in Nausicaa when I was young. (Parents rented that Warriors of the Wind video and it wasn't till 15 years later I spotted a Nausicaa figure and made the connection of what I'd seen back then)

It is for this exact reason I plan to watch these things prior to letting her watch them. I do not wish for any unpleasant surprises.

And thanks everyone for all the suggestions.

st_owly said:
The trouble is, is that not a lot of Japanese kids' stuff gets dubbed. Precure and a lot of Toei magical stuff for example.

Exactly what I was thinking, hence building an appreciation of animated stuff using some US shows

I definitely agree with the recommendation of Studio Ghibli - basically anything of theirs that is rated U should be fine. A set list of what I'd say what would be good for a four year old would be:
- Arrietty.
- Kiki's Delivery Service.
- My Neighbour Totoro.
- Ponyo.
- The Cat Returns.
If your niece could handle Howl's Moving Castle, then she could probably handle Laputa: Castle in the Sky.

Ones that I would probably avoid for now would be:
- Grave of the Fireflies (should be obvious xD).
- Princess Mononoke (how was that a PG again?).
- Spirited Away (she could easily find some scenes to be too scary).
- The Wind Rises (I think a movie about an aeroplane enthusiastic during WW2 would fly over her head xD. Pretty mature subject matter too).

Outside of Studio Ghibli, as it was mentioned in this thread so...I'd probably avoid Wolf Children for the time being. It has its unsettling scenes and the more sentimental ones would go over her head. I'm also pretty sure four years old is too early for "the talk"; especially when it involves wolf men. I think Summer Wars would really go over her head as well (especially if she doesn't know the rules of Koi-Koi xD).

Phobos said:
Rosencrantz said:

It is for this exact reason I plan to watch these things prior to letting her watch them. I do not wish for any unpleasant surprises.

And thanks everyone for all the suggestions.
A responsible adult on the internet? This is so rare, I might have to use my Master Ball.

Joshawott said:
A responsible adult on the internet? This is so rare, I might have to use my Master Ball.

If you do then Jesse&James will likely unwittingly cause your plan trouble and make you catch something like a wheedle or caterpie.

Joshawott said:
Outside of Studio Ghibli, as it was mentioned in this thread so...I'd probably avoid Wolf Children for the time being. It has its unsettling scenes and the more sentimental ones would go over her head. I'm also pretty sure four years old is too early for "the talk"; especially when it involves wolf men.

I agree wholeheartedly, far too early for that sort of thing and a conversation that I do not plan getting into. That is so not my job. Thanks for the heads up about it, that's going on the avoid list for the time being.

Lawrence said:
We're all totes responsible adults man but like, don't expect people to actually act mature, especially on an anime forum.

Surely the obvious answer here is The Moomins. You can get it for like a fiver or something on Amazon. That or the obvious ones like Dragonball and Pokemon?

Pokemon I was definitely going for. Was half thinking of dragonball if I can stomach watching it again. I admit the moomins had not entered my radar but shall certainly look into them. Seems like they could be fun.

ilmaestro said:
Moomins is the actual best shout so far.
Resoundingly thirded. Every child should grow up with the Moomins - The anime and the books. Everything else I would have suggested has already been mentioned, I think.

And can I just say I don't really think it's anybody's business but Phobos' what's "appropriate" for his niece - People have wildly different standards for that sort of thing.

ayase said:
And can I just say I don't really think it's anybody's business but Phobos' what's "appropriate" for his niece - People have wildly different standards for that sort of thing.

True, but no one has insisted on a show being mandatory or outright ruled out anything thus far, they've all been suggestions with reasons as to why they might be good, or why they should perhaps be avoided (Can't really expect Phobos to blind buy every single title suggested to review them for suitability when forum members can offer some insight ahead of time)

Back