A Few Show Questions...

elaniel

Vampire Ninja
Hi all,

I'm trying to trim my budget down for Q3 as since getting back into anime earlier this year I've gone a tad nuts and I don't want to get back into my old habit and burn out again.

I was after some recommendations on the following shows (These are ones I'm not too sure of):
From the New World
Another
Bodacious Space Pirates
Campione
Gargantia.

I've already ordered and know I shall be getting Attack On Titan, Psycho Pass, Familiar of Zero, Toradora, and Accel World.
Other shows I like are Lodoss War, Tiger & Bunny, and Utena.
What do you think of the 5 shows above shows? I tend not to like "average" shows (if that makes sense).

Thanks all.

Gargantia is great - mixes some quite intense 'hard' sci-fi concepts with a colourful, original setting and very much feels like one of those series where each episode pushes the plot forward and ties everything up at the end. It also has one of the best plot twists/reveals I've seen recently two thirds of the way through. Surprisingly dark in places two in terms of its themes of humanity's place in the universe/evolution. The mech designs (and the way they're used in the series) are nicely done too.

Bodacious Space Pirates is an odd one. It starts out very strongly and like Gargantia, has a strong, exciting setting. Unfortunately, it all goes very much to pot after the first few episodes and becomes excruciatingly slow (in my opinion). I like to sum it up as a poor man's Star Trek, in anime form - it's got a very Trek-esque tone (with added anime girls) in the way it presents the universe/science.

Thanks to you both so far.
I'll keep Gargantia on the list. Was never a fan of Star Trek though so Bodacious may be out. Although I do love Nadesico. Not sure if there's similarity?

From those you listed, I have only seen Another and personally found it very slow and boring. Has a decent idea for a story but apart from that, didn't think much of it.

Bodacious Space Pirates is also on Crunchyroll. I enjoyed it, but I probably won't buy it until the forthcoming complete collection inevitably hits MVM's deal of the week.

Haven't seen From the New World or Campione, but my honest answer would be not to bother buying any of the others.

Another has a certain unintentional comedy value, but not enough that I'd recommend it. Gargantia starts strongly, looks good and means well, but I found it plodding and simply didn't care enough for the drop to mean anything. Some people really rate Space Pirates, but I just can't see it - didn't think it had anything like the wit of Nadesico.

I personally think Another was a rather surprisingly enjoyable show for a horror anime. While it won't blow your mind, it's definetely a good show and looks great on Blu-Ray. :)

Gargantia was one of my favourite animes from Spring last year. It's sort of like a sci-fi, slice of life show with only a little mecha action here and there. Also looks really great, can't wait to see the quality of it's Blu-Ray release. But, as GolGotha said, check out a few episodes on Crunchyroll (it's free!) to see if you like the show first. :)

As for the others...

From the New World - Rather highly rated, but there is something in this show I'd rather avoid... not spoiling anything though. (I haven't seen the show, just a scene.)
Bodacious Space Pirates - Not really sure tbh, does anyone here recommend this show or is it easily avoidable?
Campione! - I've seen one episode, it was decent enough. I'll be picking this up because I don't mind the occasional harem/romance/comedy anime.

I would recommend Bodacious Space Pirates , for me it reminded me of macross frontier and its pretty similer to the animated Disney film treasure planet so I like it in that regard. So if you like those , then it is a must see.

I adored From The New World and found it very emotional. Another is decent too, though I found Gargantia never quite lived up to its initial promise. Very pretty though.

R

Wow, didn't expect so many opinions.
I've put From the New World on my "wait for complete set" list and Bodacious Space Pirates for a sale.

I will pass on Another and Campione.
Crunchyroll completely slipped my mind so shall give it a try for Gargantia and From the New World.

What about Accel World? I thought the first half of Sword Art Online was good, but started to dislike it a lot when it became about the romance. I know they are by the same author, so does this show go the same way?

Elaniel said:
What about Accel World? I thought the first half of Sword Art Online was good, but started to dislike it a lot when it became about the romance. I know they are by the same author, so does this show go the same way?
In my opinion, Accel World is better than Sword Art Online and is definitely worth the watch. There's not really a romance thing going on in Accel World either if you'r not into that stuff.

I'm watching Accel World right now (just past the halfway point) and really enjoying it. It's hard to stop watching because the pacing can be quite exciting, and so far it seems to take itself a little less seriously than SAO tended to.

R

Accel World is really excellent, and even I agree better than SAO by a wide margin (I say this as a strong SAO apologist). This is not very susprising, really, when you consider Kawahara Reki had many years more experience before writing Accel World.

Elaniel said:
From the New World
Another
Bodacious Space Pirates
Campione
Gargantia
Seemed amazing, I am a bad person for not watching more than five or so episodes.

Awesome death scenes, generic horror nothingness otherwise.

Crap.

Crap.

Great.

Back