A big blow for the fansub community

Ninja Boy! said:
but hey, everyone has their own personal views, and i have nothing against yours....

Do you actually know what mine are?! I was actually just trying to point out, in a jovial way, that fansubs have not been around that long, not the way they are now. They never used to be free either! I had to pay $160 (about £115 at the time) for my videos of Sailor Moon Stars fansubs about 4 years ago. Now you can download them free - phht! and that's just one example!
No, actually what I was really trying to say, was there are ways of buying anime without downloading fansubs, i.e reviews, word of mouth and some of my personal faves from the past, theme tunes you hear on a CD, just looking at the characters on the DVD/video cover and voice actors :wink: I do infact download fansubs but only unlicensed stuff and normally stuff that is unlikely to ever get an official release (Rose of Versailles is 26 years old, the likelihood of that being released now is about zero :lol: ). I agree that trying before you buy is a good idea, but it's not the only way to buy anime :D

i understood what you views were, i just said that because i didnt want anyone to mis-interpritate what i ment and take a u-turn......

i said this because on another thread on this forum a similair situation came up and they took everything i said the wrong way....

i don't watch much fansubbed stuff (i don't trust my broadband connection enough!) but i think this is a seriously bad move. not only do fansubs raise awareness of anime abroad and make new fans but if the distribution is banned by one site it will just pop up somewhere else. the demand is there and there are people who are dedicated enough to distribute them so not only are they shooting themselves in the foot, it's a pretty futile gesture that will just cause bad feeling between the industry and the fans.

Yes this is defiantly a worry that this could very well spell out the begining of the end for fansubs....and i havn't even got broadband yet :cry: . You really can't tell whats around the corner so we have no way of knowing how this is going to effect the fabsub community, and if it does how quickly.
I think it would be a mistake to the anime industry to get rid of fansubs or to even just drastically reduce them, i hope it would be....ok, thats just me being bitter. As i know it's opened my eyes to quite a few anime i probably would never of heard of, or at least never would have bothered with if they came out over here.
i just hope that if that if this does effect the fansubs, then they can find a way to keep going somewhere and that it doesn't hinder the anime industry

Charter_Mage said:
i just hope that if that if this does effect the fansubs, then they can find a way to keep going somewhere and that it doesn't hinder the anime industry

There are plenty of places that are NOT as obvious as AnimeSuki for fansubs and I'm sure if all the sites containing complete downloads of licensed anime (usually rips from R1 DVDs) still manage to stay on the internet :? then even if the worse came to the worse, there would be fansubs available somewhere!!

Miaka-chan said:
There are plenty of places that are NOT as obvious as AnimeSuki for fansubs and I'm sure if all the sites containing complete downloads of licensed anime (usually rips from R1 DVDs) still manage to stay on the internet :? then even if the worse came to the worse, there would be fansubs available somewhere!!
Yes that is almost cirtainly true, i suppose it would just be a matter of me finding them (a most impossible task for myself, i'm rubbish at that kind of thing), i mean i suppose even the anime said by Paul will still be shown somewhere on the net

Correct me if im wrong but isnt this just old news that "Guest" has bumped? Nothing really has occoured in the fansub community since Media factory made this request a while ago. I certainly dont think its something for fansubbers to be worrying about especially now , people continued to fansub the shows, they just were taken off animesuki.

MangaMinX said:
Correct me if im wrong but isnt this just old news that "Guest" has bumped? Nothing really has occoured in the fansub community since Media factory made this request a while ago. I certainly dont think its something for fansubbers to be worrying about especially now , people continued to fansub the shows, they just were taken off animesuki.
Yeah! but I guess like a lot of things, that guest renewed interest in this thread :lol:

Back