5cm per second

Shakey

Dandy Guy, in Space
I realise this has probably been discussed before but i can't find anything on it. Why is it that this Shinkai film has not seen a UK release? and is it likely to get one? Because i don't really wanna fork out big for it to get it from the states.

Presumably it's because of ADV dropping the licence, despite there being a remaining demand for it. Since much of our anime licences get to us via America, the chain of events which lead up to an R2 release has been broken.
There have been rumours of an R1 rescue in the past, but oddly enough R4 company Madman have acquired a licence for it recently. If you really want it, you could consider importing it from Australia when it's released. I did this for The Wings of Honneamise.

Zin5ki explained it all really.

However another option of obtaining the film would be the R3 release (which, if I recall correctly, Ayase owns) and which I believe has english subtitles.

Maltos said:
However another option of obtaining the film would be the R3 release (which, if I recall correctly, Ayase owns) and which I believe has english subtitles.
Indeed I do. And indeed it does. ;)

Picture, sound and sub quality are all excellent on the R3 which can be had from YesAsia in normal and special editions at a very reasonable price (no chance of import taxes from them either). At the time I wasn't sure if I'd be a Shinkai fan but I kinda wish I'd bought the special edition now.

As nice as the special edition is, at this stage I'd be tempted to wait and see on a Blu-ray release over here/region free in the States/Australia (are they the same Blu-ray region as us?) if you've waited this long.

Australia is region B as well, but I've always been put off buying any of their discs because of their ratings stickers which utterly ruin the cover art. Then again ours are probably as bad now they have red and blue ones on...

slick_776s.jpg

ayase said:
At the time I wasn't sure if I'd be a Shinkai fan but I kinda wish I'd bought the special edition now.

Special edition is well worth it for anyone else considering the purchase. The extras are very nice (though I own the R2 version which has a film strip with it, rather than the postcards that are in the R3), and the DVD sleeves are reversible.

Maltos said:
ayase said:
At the time I wasn't sure if I'd be a Shinkai fan but I kinda wish I'd bought the special edition now.

Special edition is well worth it for anyone else considering the purchase. The extras are very nice (though I own the R2 version which has a film strip with it, rather than the postcards that are in the R3), and the DVD sleeves are reversible.
R2 version? which languages?

chaos said:
Maltos said:
ayase said:

R2 version? which languages?

Japanese only unfortunately :(

ayase said:
Australia is region B as well, but I've always been put off buying any of their discs because of their ratings stickers which utterly ruin the cover art.
Fortunately for me, my copy of The Wings of Honneamise has a reversible cover, the inner one containing no warning labels. I hope the same practice is adhered to for other R4 titles.

In contrast, the BBFC reckon that the first four episodes of Haruhi contain "moderate sex references" and gave no disc in the series a higher certificate than 12. Australolia.

On topic: it's staggering that 5cm Per Second is still in licensing limbo. Clearly Funimation are too interested in rescuing Gad Guard and Heat Guy J :roll:

Back