30th Leeds International Film Festival 2016 Anime Line-Up Revealed!

I went in with no expectations, fully ready to give it a chance, I came out crazy. More power to people who liked this film and the series as a whole, I take no umbrage with that.

I couldn't make Psychonauts but my friend saw it and enjoyed it enough to give me a full blow by blow review afterwards; he said it was seriously dark (comparisons to The Secret of NIMH were made) and I think he'll have more to add after digesting it longer.

Can confirm that Kizumonogatari is great for Monogatari fans (and much better than a lot of the more recent arcs in that). If you don't like Monogatari then it's probably going to suck.

R

I was there as I'm providing coverage for the site, so if anyone spotted a slightly frazzled girl in a purple hoodie, black trousers and with a brown messenger bag with Naruto printed on it, then that be me.

Overall I think it was an enjoyable day. I'm not a Monogatari fan but I think Kizumonogatari was a good introduction into the series and showing parts 1 + 2 together was the right choice considering the first part is largely just set-up. I definitely want to watch part 3 when it's eventually licensed and released, and I might even give some of the Monogatari series a go. Maybe.

I will admit to not really liking Belladonna of Sadness, not for its plot anyway. I do think the animation and the style of it were fairly interesting though, so I'm not completely disappointed I saw it... I just got fairly bored by the end. ^^;

The Red Turtle and Psychonauts fall into the camp of being great to watch on a big screen, but films I probably wouldn't have chosen to watch. Red Turtle I was curious about it and it ended up being really good, so I'm quite happy I saw it. Psychonauts was really well done but extremely depressing so I think last night when I was getting to the point of being hungry and tired I just decided I didn't like it. After some thought I can see what it was doing and that it was actually alright... but I won't be recommending it either, so mixed feelings.

Finishing off with A Silent Voice was the right move as that movie was absolutely fantastic. I dragged my partner along for this one (he's usually quite cynical about anime films but really likes KyoAni so I figured it was worth a shot), and he came away having really liked it as well so I'd say it's a winner. :)

I was sitting in the top balcony due to a little birdy mentioning that the screen was pretty high up and that sitting at the bottom would have resulted in neck pain if one was to say sit there all day watching 5 movies one after the other in a row, I'm glad I took that advice because I initially thought that it might be too far back but it was perfect. I didn't know that a few of you from the forum went, if anyone saw a guy with a beige harrington, blue trousers and grey New Balance, that was me.

Back