2008 Games News

McIcy

Mushi-shi
All of this is taken from this months GamesMaster magazine and I felt the need to pass this onto you guys as these games are the ones we will probably be thinking of buying:

Games confirmed for 2008

First Person Shooters

Dead Space Think Half Life meets Alien, set on a deep space mining ship thats become infested with aliens you are the only living survivor, full of blood, gore and terror, a real psychological scare fest.

Bionic Commando FPS about a commando with Crysis style (and Crysis graphics)armour hunting down terrorists in cities rather than jungle locations.

Duke Nukem - Originally announced in 1997 and then thought to have been dropped new trailers released at the end of 2007 means its far from dead but will we have to wait another 10 years?

Deus Ex 3 - its about time too.

Half Life Episode 3 - Moving further away from City 17, lets home for more open battles like the end of Episode 2 provided us with.

Time Splitters 4 - One of the best comedy shooter games.

Call of Duty 5 - Unfortunately its going back to its WW2 roots as this time its being made by Treyarch and not Infinity Ward boohoohoo.

Action Games

Assassins Creed 2 - Currently under production, the story is aiming to be set in Fuedal Japan so expect so ninja style action.

Hitman 5 - yes IO are making another one so smiles all around

Lego Batman Well they made Starwars into lego so next is the Batman film franchise... the new films though.

RPG's

Lost Odyssey - A huge following in Japan already its a massive MMORPG, stunning graphics and a huge story - out february.

Star Craft 2 A game we have all been craving since we first took up the Terran fight against various invaders bring it on!

APB - A massively online multiplayer world set in moderm day where two factions battle it out, criminals and the law. Could be good if you can form your own gangs and law agencies.

Diablo 3 - Thats right Diablo is back, I was addicted to Diablo 2 and am fully looking forward to this game

God Of War 3 - this time moving to the PS3 so we will see what the makers can do with some next gen graphics.

Racing

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue - Already available online to try out this game is still in production and I can't wait to try it out as new cars are added regularly and now there is a chance to race through central london too.... what about the congestion charge though?

Fighting

Street Fighter 4 - Only 4 characters confirmed so far, Ryu, Ken, Chun-Li and Dhalsim. The game is traditional 2 with 3d rendered characters also the camera can rotate but still more 2D than 3D.

You missed a big FPS IMO.

FAR CRY 2 Made with the Crysis engine and following the original game. They've also updated the engine to include more realistic fire. You can now burn down buildings and forests!! The fire reacts to the wind too so it'll burn in the direction of the wind. That's soo cool. Planned to be released March 08. Can't wait. XD

LEFT 4 DEAD New Valve game based on Half Life 2 Engine. Looks freaking sweet. It's a Zombie team game. They've based the game on co-op which is cool. You have to work together to survive. I love online co-ops anyway and throw some zombies in there and I'm taken. ^___^

Voddas said:
You missed a big FPS IMO.

FAR CRY 2 Made with the Crysis engine and following the original game. They've also updated the engine to include more realistic fire. You can now burn down buildings and forests!! The fire reacts to the wind too so it'll burn in the direction of the wind. That's soo cool. Planned to be released March 08. Can't wait. XD

LEFT 4 DEAD New Valve game based on Half Life 2 Engine. Looks freaking sweet. It's a Zombie team game. They've based the game on co-op which is cool. You have to work together to survive. I love online co-ops anyway and throw some zombies in there and I'm taken. ^___^

Sorry tried to keep the news above to games we haven't heard about for ages. i also left out:

Final Fantasy XIII - Ah next gen graphics, this game will be a piece of art work.

Resident Evil 5 - A game with graphics that can be compared to a movie and taking the Resi franchise to world wide styled locations.

Yakuza 2 - this is due out in 2008 and continues the story where Yakuza left off, its been out for a while in Japan so can't wait to play this

Yakuza 3 will be released on the PS3 but I doubt we'll see it til 2009

Medal Of Honor there will be a new version, still WW2 but this time a more open free roaming game (sorry forgot the name will update when I find out)

C&C Tiberium - Yes a new Command and Conquer game only this one is squad based first person shooter and not the usual Real-Time Stategy gameplay we are all used to, you command a squad of elite soldiers and have a huge amount of weaponry at your disposal.

McIcy said:
Sorry tried to keep the news above to games we haven't heard about for ages. i also left out:
I get ya. Some awesome games to be looking forward to this year (some 09'). Can't wait to delve into more next gen graphical games. Also the 9 series Graphics cards will be released this year too. Hopefully won't have to update my PC for a while like. Especially with how much I've just spent on my nw PC.

Voddas said:
McIcy said:
I get ya. Some awesome games to be looking forward to this year (some 09'). Can't wait to delve into more next gen graphical games. Also the 9 series Graphics cards will be released this year too. Hopefully won't have to update my PC for a while like. Especially with how much I've just spent on my nw PC.

I'm sticking with my 8800 card as its the top model and spec so should keep up with the 9 series, just need more games that can make it really work hard and show me that the money was really worth it

McIcy said:
I'm sticking with my 8800 card as its the top model and spec so should keep up with the 9 series, just need more games that can make it really work hard and show me that the money was really worth it
I have a similar card at the moment. Think it'll be a good while before there'll be anything that'll test it too much. You should play Portal if you haven't already. That's a real tester for your graphics card. Comes with the Orange Box from Valve. The engine in this game is awesome.

McIcy said:
Lego Batman Well they made Starwars into lego so next is the Batman film franchise... the new films though.
So... What? Are they doing LEGO Indiana Jones before or after this. Indy is a much more interesting character to me than Batman has ever been anyway. But.. REALLY... I've never given Batman a proper chance. I've just always turned up a chance of seeing something involving him. He is a bit too Action-esque for me. "Woah, Its a grapple gun. Your so XCORE"

Out of them lot, The ones I can't wait for are: FFXIII, Assassins Creed II (Daym, Feudal Japan sounds more interesting), Starcraft 2 and Street Fighter IV. I want some anime games to go along with that lot as well.

i realise a lot of people say that RE5 is due out this year after microsoft said so, but to be honest, there hasn't been anything said by capcom so i wouldn't get our hopes up, not at least until they make some sort of announcement. If duke nukem forever is released this year, does that mean the apocalypse is near?

Also i could add a few more a lot of them though are obvious but still worth mentioning

ADVANCE WARS: DAY OF RUIN - Next in the Advance wars series yet it isn't continuing with the previous storyline, as it takes the story to a new planet where after a meteor shower, civilisation was almost wiped out. Out on the 25th of January.

SUPER SMASH BROTHERS BRAWL - next in the SSB series, long awaited yet the release date for the US and UK keeps being pushed back. Due out in japan in the next couple of weeks yet the US don't see it till the 9th of march and we won't get it till Q2.

SOUL CALIBUR 4 - due out in the summer this year, continues the SC franchise with guest characters being Yoda and Vader from star wars on the 360 and PS3 respectively.

Disgaea 3 - probably the only reason i want a PS3, the next in this strategy game series continues with a new set of main characters with a few older faces returning. due out in japan by the end of the month yet no date for the US or UK yet, however it must be noted PRINNIES CAN HAVE AFRO'S NOW, or..at least one does.

Arbalest said:
xnickx said:
devil may cry 4 is released in 3 weeks or 4 weeks.

3 weeks on friday, as its out on the same day as my birthday, the 8th of feb.

Cool i have to wait 5 days afterwards :(
demo comes out today or the 31st i read.
Also doesn't silent hill 5 come out?

XnickX said:
Arbalest said:
xnickx said:

no official date is confirmed for it anywhere, currently its TBA, so i don't know when you could expect that.

Arbalest said:
XnickX said:
Arbalest said:
xnickx said:

no official date is confirmed for it anywhere, currently its TBA, so i don't know when you could expect that.

Well i'd say this is the year for good games for the ps3 so i'd take a wild guess and say middle/late 08 mbut guess we just wair an official annoucement.

One game I cannot waiting for Tales of symphonia: Ratatoskr no Kishi which is out at spring in Japan. I hope that it will be released over here or I will have to import.

only problem with importing ToS for the Wii is that the Wii isn't region free, and nor are the games, so you would have to get a japanese Wii as well to play it, though i do agree, ToS for the Wii looks great, i just hope it gets released here at some point, though i think it should as the first one was.

Crimson Flame said:
One game I cannot waiting for Tales of symphonia: Ratatoskr no Kishi which is out at spring in Japan. I hope that it will be released over here or I will have to import.

It has an English title - use it >_>

Back