10 underrated anime shows for 2008....

mangaman74

Akatsuki
The following link shows a list of 10 shows that Mania.com feel did not get enough attention in 2008.

http://www.mania.com/10-underrated-anim ... 16958.html

Out of the list I own Welcome to the NHK (I got the region 1 version with the artbox & single releases). I also own the region B bluray release of Freedom.

Of the rest Story of Saiunkoku interests me the most. I was put off due to the Geneon situation but I may go for it if it gets released on bluray.

Zegapain could be worth getting as well.

Other than that maybe Jyu-oh-Sei but I have heard mixed opinions on this so it's only a maybe.

Flag and NHK (I've read the novel) are on my to watch list. Jyu-Oh-Sei and Red Garden might be worth a look. I May well buy the complete series of NHK since it's now being brought out in a single set for the price one of the half season sets cost. Ha ha! The Yanks got shafted for once! :D

I too own and enjoyed the Freedom Blu-ray despite it being CGI - though I'm pretty certain it's region free and the same release here as in the US and Japan.

Ya no ive heard the name "Welcome to NHK" floating around but never payed attention. After reading that synopsis im defo gonna see this show. Mucho

I enjoyed Jyu-Oh-Sei, Red Garden and plan to get Sainunkoku, Towards the Terra and Welcome to the NHK once all their box sets are out this year. So that's a pretty good spread from the list which interest me.

I didn't like Tweeny Witches at all and am happy just owning the CD single for that. The others look good but not my cup of tea.

R

unellmay said:
They should change the name to 9 shows that suck and nhk
Care to explain why they suck to you?

Terra, Freedom, NHK, tweeny witches and red garden are in my to watch list.

I've seen a couple episodes ot Freedom and Terra and they looked really good. Red Garden attracted me because of the settings, not sure if I can get it though.

NHK has already been ordered and I'm just waiting for it to be released.

Welcome to the NHK doesn't strike me as an "underrated" show. It's received lots of positive attention. The only other one I've seen is Toward the Terra, which is decent but nothing special. Aion and Rui's discussion about Jyu-Oh-Sei has somewhat piqued my interest in that show, while FLAG caught my attention a while back and I would have bought it had Bandai not cancelled the Anime Legends collection. FREEDOM is GCI (bleh) and the rest looks like a whole lot of mediocrity.

Jyu-Oh-Sei was a show that had loads of potential, but seemed like BONES didn't even care in the end. This better not happen to Tokyo Magnitude 8.0

Also, who cares what unellmay says? You should have already established him as a troll by now, no one can be -that- stupid and get away with it.

I've got NHK, tweeny witches and Jyu-Oh-Sei from that list. Freedom is on order. Out of the others Project Blue Earth SOS and Flag don't really interest me. Red Garden and Toward Terra are the most likely ones for me to try and pick up.

mangaman74 said:
Zegapain could be worth getting as well.
Opinions of this are really mixed. Some critics simply sling mud at what they've seen of it, whereas others seem to have given it a sporting chance. Apparently the early parts of this show are the cause of such variation in reception.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Welcome to the NHK doesn't strike me as an "underrated" show. It's received lots of positive attention.

I'd agree with that. Initially it didn't seem to garner much interest, but it's received a lot of mention and good reviews since. Rightly so to, it's a great show. I haven't seen any of the others, but I like the idea of Flags gritty take on Mecha and politics, it sounds a little like Gasaraki.

Out of that list, Welcome to the NHK is the only one i've watched. NHK certainly is a awesome series! It's one i would definately recommend to those who are thinking about watching it

Back