UK Anime Distributor Crunchyroll/Funimation/Manga UK Discussion Thread

Dragon Ball Super - Complete Series - Dragon Ball Super: Complete Series

Evangelion 1.11 You're (Not) Alone) - Evangelion 1.11 Youre Not Alone Special Edition

Evangelion 2.22 You Can (Not) Advance) - Evangelion 2.22 You Can (Not) Advance

Dragon Ball Super looks to be a re-print of the OOP complete set unless they're just using the same images as a placeholder and not sure on if Eva 1.11 and 2.22 are re-prints of the Manga Ent. releases or if they include the Amazon dubs but very interesting re-releases nonetheless.
It's good to see that DBS set coming back in print. I was shocked at how fast it vanished.

I wonder which dub(s) will be used for the Eva movies this time.

Will these new releases come available at Amazon and Anime on Line? HMV Store says they deliver to the UK only and I live in Finland.

// Ah, they are available at Zavvi. I guess I will use Zavvi then.

Last edited:
Right, my thoughts on the Crunchyroll UK Q3 2022 slate.

It's dreadful.

For starters of all of the titles you could provide you only add 3 new shows? Don't get me wrong, those three are good choices but you're alienating dozens of shows that should have been brought over here, for example:
  1. Bottom-tier Character Tomozaki
  2. Full Dive
  3. Golden Kamuy Season 3
  4. Life Lessons with Uramichi Oniisan
  5. MEGALOBOX 2: NOMAD
  6. Moriarty the Patriot
  7. The Quintessential Quintuplets Season 2
  8. The Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent
  9. SSSS.DYNAZENON
I can name more but these are the bunch that should have been listed for the Q3 slate but instead we only got 3 new shows that aren't coming until September. The issue here is that we're back to the problem where 90% of the new shows are getting skipped over here, and we know that the moment they finally decide to bring them over - they won't sell, because people have imported already and even worse if one of them had a limited edition in the US and they wait so long - the UK release doesn't get it anymore.

Next we have the re-releases. Now complete collection Blu-ray releases I am perfectly fine with, but they were long overdue and should have been sorted months ago. No sign of Star Blazers 2202 complete collection which is odd but I can accept Magus Bride, Franxx and Clear Card.

As for the re-issues, I don't get it. The titles chosen are decent but they're just old stock (other than Dragon Ball Super which I can accept since its semi-recent and currently the only way to get a complete set for the meantime) and not to mention no Blu-ray upgrades for Ben-To, Cat Planet Cuties and Freezing Season 1 so that's insulting. Then we have Evangelion 1.11 & 2.22, which I personally believe this is just them doing a last ditch effort to get some sales before the license is up since Khara will likely want the Rebuild tetralogy to be handed over to Anime Ltd & GKIDS in the future.

At this point I'm just tired, tired of the UK branch. I have given them a shot multiple times and keep getting shot in return. It doesn't help that the GBP value is getting weaker so it's now more expensive to import US releases. Sony buying Crunchyroll has also made the situation even worse because I doubt they intend to let their titles be picked up by other distributors from this point going forward, and while AL managed to get Jujutsu Kaisen as an example it's probably not going to be for the long-term. Unless Crunchyroll is willing to sub-license many of their catalogue of 1100+ anime (from their Funimation licenses and Crunchyroll licenses combined) over to Anime Limited and MVM, the UK anime industry scene will be further damaged, and permanently, for the long term and eventually most consumers will be forced with three choices; stream-only, pirate or import.

Then we have Evangelion 1.11 & 2.22, which I personally believe this is just them doing a last ditch effort to get some sales before the license is up since Khara will likely want the Rebuild tetralogy to be handed over to Anime Ltd & GKIDS in the future.
It would be so sweet if Anime Ltd gets the license for Rebuild tetralogy and gives it Collector's Edition. I hope this happens sooner than later. Last year I asked how likely it would be for Anime Ltd to license and re-release Rebuild movies and people were much more pessimistic about that happening so it is nice that now it seems to be more likely to happen.

Last edited:
Laid-back Camp is one to keep an eye on, recently Crunchyroll has been delving in to their catalogue that are a season or 2 two behind and giving them English dubs on their service (usually ones that have season 2's on the way). It's possible that Laid-back Camp may get one as theres a movie (and its a show dubbed in many other territories and languages) on the way and it may mean that finally there may be some movement on that, it's not guaranteed of course (the genre of the show may play against it). If that were the case, there are better chances of a HV video release at that point, but it remains to be seen how they use the CR (not just the Funi shows) catalogue for HV atm.

As for A Place Further than the Universe, that one is perhaps past its time, but it's certainly not impossible.

Will have to see on this lineup, a similar ish situation happened with the first month (granted, this is three here) with the US side during the switch over, so perhaps it will be less.... strange next time, maybe. while theres stuff I maybe want, I ain't rushing here (I liked Boonies fine enough and, while I thought the show wasn't great, I enjoyed parts of Combatants, largely due to how ridiculous parts of the dub were), already looking to import Quints S2 from the US (as overpriced as it is due the pricing and the current exchange rate) and increasingly feeling like importing from Australia is perhaps not a terrible option now, even if the last package from the Madman (or the formerly named Madman) I ordered got lost.

Last edited:
Those DVD re-releases are downright shameful. You know they won't be the Funimation discs either, they'll just re-use the piss-poor Manga authors with the crappy subtitling and absent chaptering.

I look at Crunchymation's schedule, and I'm reminded of the periods between MVM and Revelation, Revelation and Manga, Manga and Anime Limited, Anime Limited and Manga again when Funimation titles practically dried up in the UK. The difference is that those fallow periods were when Funimation didn't have a presence/partner in the UK. Now, they are in the UK, and they're still treating us as leftovers.

I'm genuinely shocked we haven't got Quints s2 announced.
Golden Kamuey s3 I can kinda understand not releasing it right after they finally got s1 & s2 out after being delayed by over a year.
Megalobox might be an interesting one especially if AL licensed s1 direct from Japan as they may get first shot at s2 🤷‍♂️

All in all we just get scraps.
Kinda seems CrunchyMation is more concentrated on the streaming side than the home video side which I'm sure is inevitable but at the moment with their bag of crap app we ain't there yet!!

That DVD re-release for Ben To and especially Freezing S1 is disgraceful especially when there is a BD version.

I understand the appeal of doing complete collections of previous titles, but the problem is that all of those show especially Fairy Gone and Raidant in part form are dirt cheap.
You can easily get from either your local Cex store, or a HMV/Zavvi sale.

As for new titles I'm definitely pissed off of this half fast development.

Only three new show's two of the show aren't even popular compared to stuff like SSSS DYNAZENON, Moriarty The Patriot, The Quintessential Quintuplets S2, Megalo Box, Love Live, Kageki Shojo.

Dragon Maid S is the only good show, but we have to wait until the end of September.

If they couldn't release new show's, they should have went full catalogue mode releasing shows that never got a UK release or previously released DVD only titles as well a couple of MVM/AL Funi rescue titles.

Noteworthy titles.
Aria The Scarlet Ammo
Barkamon
Chio's School Road
Dagashi Kashi
Danganronpa 3
Date A Live
Freezing
Gamers
Haruhi Suzumiya
Index III, Accelerator, Railgun T
Keijo
Legend Of The Galactic Heroes The New Thesis
Lucky Star
My Otome (Maybe AL can grab it)
Orange
Ouran High School Host Club
Senran Kagura
Shakugan no Shana
Shimoneta
Snow White with the Red Hair
Spice and Wolf
Strike Witches
Tales of Abyss/ZestirIa
Tokyo Ravens
Unbreakable Machine-Doll

Honestly this slate it's mess and I'm glad I imported half of the titles listed before the merge with the now increased price tag.

Does anyone have a link to a full list of all titles that they currently have the rights for? I might try and put together my own wishlist for BD and post it here (mostly for other curious forumites though as I doubt my wishes will come true in this case) XP

Does anyone have a link to a full list of all titles that they currently have the rights for? I might try and put together my own wishlist for BD and post it here (mostly for other curious forumites though as I doubt my wishes will come true in this case) XP

Sorry to double post but @NormanicGrav do you know where I could find a full list of all anime in this category? Would be really helpful to know what's what wrt licensing and who has dibs and whatnot :)

At this point I'm just tired, tired of the UK branch. I have given them a shot multiple times and keep getting shot in return. It doesn't help that the GBP value is getting weaker so it's now more expensive to import US releases. Sony buying Crunchyroll has also made the situation even worse because I doubt they intend to let their titles be picked up by other distributors from this point going forward, and while AL managed to get Jujutsu Kaisen as an example it's probably not going to be for the long-term. Unless Crunchyroll is willing to sub-license many of their catalogue of 1100+ anime (from their Funimation licenses and Crunchyroll licenses combined) over to Anime Limited and MVM, the UK anime industry scene will be further damaged, and permanently, for the long term and eventually most consumers will be forced with three choices; stream-only, pirate or import.
I wonder if this is a sign of things to come with the Aniplex licenses as well? We're seeing so many shows that Aniplex of America are skipping, are those few meager titles that they do release in the US even going to get a home video release in the UK?

Only reason I can guess why Crunchyroll are doing all these re-releases is to get stuff up for sale that doesnt need to be put through BBFC?

Not sure if previously DVD only BBFC certificate means they can only release DVD this time (Dub, duration, extra's?) But it wouldnt surprise me

Trying to get cheap stuff out quick to make a few quid from the UK side of the buisness

Only reason I can guess why Crunchyroll are doing all these re-releases is to get stuff up for sale that doesnt need to be put through BBFC?

Not sure if previously DVD only BBFC certificate means they can only release DVD this time (Dub, duration, extra's?) But it wouldnt surprise me

Trying to get cheap stuff out quick to make a few quid from the UK side of the buisness
It will not be making all that much money, especially as the DVD only titles have been released before and a BD region B version exists in both US and Aus, so those who wanted it would have bought them years ago, seems to me the UK is an after thought as it has always been a tiny market, I'm just glad MVM and AL are still about as Crunchmation have started on a damp squib and there isn't much chance it will improve as if these titles don't sell, we won't be getting much else afterwards.

So the Knights of Sidonia movie is out from Crunchymation next week.

Shame that the second season was never released here. Back to the bad old days of getting movie spin-offs for anime series that don't get UK releases.

I stopped watching after the first season of the anime as I've read the entire manga and it's far better than the first season at least (not for the animation I was fine with that it was the way they told the story etc. that bummed me out a bit), but I agree that it's not really on for them to only release part of it, particularly given that they presumably think the movie will sell enough copies to justify a UK release so it's not a clear case of "further releases cancelled after the first season due to poor sales".

it's cool to see more Knights of Sidonia (i love Tsutomu Nihei works and the worlds he builds) again but I never got over the fact Season 2 was never released here and now we're getting this movie but I don't think we'll ever get Season 2 (it was what a Sentai Filmworks release in the US right?)

You can assume that they Crunchyroll Manga Entertainment Ltd. UK or their parent company holds the rights to most titles that are currently streaming via funimation.com in the UK.
Excluding stuff that has current releases by MVM or Anime Ltd (or older TMS / Toei Entertainment stuff)

Back