UK Anime Distributor MVM Entertainment Discussion Thread

I don't see how that explains it; MVM's released things like Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs, which never got released in the U.S. at all, on blu-ray. Also, Air has a blu-ray release in Japan; it was one of the earliest anime releases on BD, way back in 2006. So the materials already exist for BD.
It's usually more cost effective to re-use assets from existing English friendly releases rather than to create your own discs from scratch. It also depends on whether the licensor (in the case of Air, TBS) would allow it, due to possible reverse importation fears, despite Japan and the UK having different BD region codes.

I don't see how that explains it; MVM's released things like Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs, which never got released in the U.S. at all, on blu-ray. Also, Air has a blu-ray release in Japan; it was one of the earliest anime releases on BD, way back in 2006. So the materials already exist for BD.
We all greatly appreciate you volunteering to foot the bill for a brand new Blu-ray transfer.

We all greatly appreciate you volunteering to foot the bill for a brand new Blu-ray transfer.
New transfer? One already exists, as I mentioned in the very post you quoted. That's my whole point; the materials already exist, and a new transfer isn't required. If it was DVD only in Japan, I wouldn't even wonder about it.

It's usually more cost effective to re-use assets from existing English friendly releases rather than to create your own discs from scratch. It also depends on whether the licensor (in the case of Air, TBS) would allow it, due to possible reverse importation fears, despite Japan and the UK having different BD region codes.
A licensor restriction very well might be the reason, but that's a completely different reason than the one I was questioning. Just thought the idea that the U.S. release being DVD only as the limiting factor was odd, considering the number of UK only BD releases.

Yeah, but then you have to sort out subbing and making menus for the BD transfer, and timing the english audio to the HD footage, and a lot of other little things that add a lot of time and expense to a very small company like MVM. Whereas just release the already working DVD and maybe adding an MVM bumper at the start of each disc and getting a sign off from the licensor on the packaging is a lot cheaper.

A licensor restriction very well might be the reason, but that's a completely different reason than the one I was questioning. Just thought the idea that the U.S. release being DVD only as the limiting factor was odd, considering the number of UK only BD releases.
It's usually on a case-by-case basis regarding UK exclusive BD releases, as MVM rarely does those (and at one point, UK exclusive DVD releases, which they stopped doing). They mainly did those to Aniplex releases when they either couldn't use the AoA discs (The Asterisk War and Anohana) and when there's no English friendly BD release at all (Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs). I can't remember if they ever did a UK exclusive release of a non-Aniplex title.

Depending on titles, it may not be financially feasible for them to create their own discs from scratch, and outsourcing from existing releases would be more cost effective (KingJimmeh explained this in better detail about this than I have).

It's usually on a case-by-case basis regarding UK exclusive BD releases, as MVM rarely does those (and at one point, UK exclusive DVD releases, which they stopped doing). They mainly did those to Aniplex releases when they either couldn't use the AoA discs (The Asterisk War and Anohana) and when there's no English friendly BD release at all (Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs). I can't remember if they ever did a UK exclusive release of a non-Aniplex title.

Depending on titles, it may not be financially feasible for them to create their own discs from scratch, and outsourcing from existing releases would be more cost effective (KingJimmeh explained this in better detail about this than I have).
For non-Aniplex titles, I know the 90s Berserk TV on BD would be one; that's never gotten a BD release in the US.

But I suppose I see your point; if MVM has poor sales expectations, even relatively limited costs might not seem worthwhile. It's interesting that DVDs are still considered viable in the UK market, as the US anime market basically requires a BD release; DVDs won't sell enough for a release to make economic sense, even for niche companies like Discotek.

For non-Aniplex titles, I know the 90s Berserk TV on BD would be one; that's never gotten a BD release in the US.

But I suppose I see your point; if MVM has poor sales expectations, even relatively limited costs might not seem worthwhile. It's interesting that DVDs are still considered viable in the UK market, as the US anime market basically requires a BD release; DVDs won't sell enough for a release to make economic sense, even for niche companies like Discotek.
To be fair I can’t remember the last time a new anime release came along in the UK that was DVD only

To be fair I can’t remember the last time a new anime release came along in the UK that was DVD only
Technically Skull Man doesnt come out for another week but my copy already turned up and that's DVD only.

Also Funi are still only releasing One Piece on DVD over here. Theres not much but it still happens from time to time.

New transfer? One already exists, as I mentioned in the very post you quoted. That's my whole point; the materials already exist, and a new transfer isn't required. If it was DVD only in Japan, I wouldn't even wonder about it.
Good luck getting that out of them. Almost just about every english blu-ray release has a different transfer, it's why disc quality varies from region to region. The UK companies pretty much for the most part just reuse the discs that the US companies made.

Last edited:
The 12 Days of Christmas sale is here and it's showing us the stuff that did not sell, even discounted, and is now at fire sale "please god just take this, it's filling up our warehouse" pricing.

It's interesting trying to draw the line between which shows are just bad, which shows people will not buy on DVD, which shows are not bad but the fandom isn't there for them.
  • Flowers of Evil, this show is great but unfortunately, most anime fans won't look past the fact it's rotoscoped. DVD £1.99, 93% off. (no fandom)
  • GATE, I really enjoyed this show, it's dumb fun power fantasy stuff which I thought anime fans would appreciate, I'm surprised it didn't sell. Blu-ray £7.99, 84% off. (is it considered bad??)
  • Kids on the Slope, I haven't seen it, but it's an anime that's held in high respect (rated excellent on ANN)? DVD £2.99, 90% off. (won't buy DVD)
  • Princess Principle, another great show, this isn't quite as big a discount, but I feel like the writings on the wall that no one bought it. Blu-ray £79.99 -> £29.99, 62% off, look out for it in next years Christmas sale at > £10. (no fandom)
  • Serial Experiments Lain, this show is anime royalty, so this must be about the fact it's on DVD? DVD £9.99, 66% off. (won't buy DVD)
  • The Eccentric Family, this one breaks my heart that people aren't buying it, it's in my top 10 anime of all time, but I think this is another show where the small fanbase only wants it on Blu-ray. DVD £2.99, 90% off, Blu-ray £14.99, 70% off. (no fandom)(won't buy DVD)
Is DVD dead for more visual shows? I know I won't buy anything on DVD these days unless there's no other choice.

The 12 Days of Christmas sale is here and it's showing us the stuff that did not sell, even discounted, and is now at fire sale "please god just take this, it's filling up our warehouse" pricing.

It's interesting trying to draw the line between which shows are just bad, which shows people will not buy on DVD, which shows are not bad but the fandom isn't there for them.
  • Flowers of Evil, this show is great but unfortunately, most anime fans won't look past the fact it's rotoscoped. DVD £1.99, 93% off. (no fandom)
  • GATE, I really enjoyed this show, it's dumb fun power fantasy stuff which I thought anime fans would appreciate, I'm surprised it didn't sell. Blu-ray £7.99, 84% off. (is it considered bad??)
  • Kids on the Slope, I haven't seen it, but it's an anime that's held in high respect (rated excellent on ANN)? DVD £2.99, 90% off. (won't buy DVD)
  • Princess Principle, another great show, this isn't quite as big a discount, but I feel like the writings on the wall that no one bought it. Blu-ray £79.99 -> £29.99, 62% off, look out for it in next years Christmas sale at > £10. (no fandom)
  • Serial Experiments Lain, this show is anime royalty, so this must be about the fact it's on DVD? DVD £9.99, 66% off. (won't buy DVD)
  • The Eccentric Family, this one breaks my heart that people aren't buying it, it's in my top 10 anime of all time, but I think this is another show where the small fanbase only wants it on Blu-ray. DVD £2.99, 90% off, Blu-ray £14.99, 70% off. (no fandom)(won't buy DVD)
Is DVD dead for more visual shows? I know I won't buy anything on DVD these days unless there's no other choice.
DVD's are actually bigger sellers than Blu-ray just FYI. It's only collectors like those of us on this site that pass them by. John Smith browsing the isles at HMV usually doesn't care though and get's the cheaper one. My old roomates would always get annoyed at me for buying blu-rays when DVD's were cheaper in fact lol.

DVD's are actually bigger sellers than Blu-ray just FYI. It's only collectors like those of us on this site that pass them by. John Smith browsing the isles at HMV usually doesn't care though and get's the cheaper one. My old roomates would always get annoyed at me for buying blu-rays when DVD's were cheaper in fact lol.
Generally this is true indeed but within niche areas like anime I’d be surprised if DVD was still bigger than DVD on new releases?

Back