UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Hey I'm new here (usually lurking here and at blu-ray.com) and I was just wondering what you guys think about the mediaholders of the NGE Ultimate Edition? I can confirm that the german release, which is almost identical to the US and UK Ultimate Edition, won't feature disc trays inside, like this Gurren Langan Limited Edition
, but will look like the 20th Anniversary Cowboy Bebop Edition by AlltheAnime. And I'm really worried about scratches because I had the worst experiences with this kind of packaging, next to sleeves.

So I'm hoping for early shpping of the Collector's Edition by zavvi, because they also completed my PayPal payment today.

Last edited:
Yeah it's weird. Curiously, on zavvi, they have a standard Eva blu ray release for 9th November...
Very strange situation indeed. I selected Klarna as my payment option (get the order first and pay after delivery) and I just received invoice from Klarna regarding my Eva blu-ray order but no shipping notification from Zavvi. The due date of the invoice is 1st of December and Zavvi's release date for Eva is 6th of December, The status of the order is "awaiting dispatch."

I sent Zavvi an e-mail asking if they are shipping the item early, I hope they will answer soon.

Hey I'm new here (usually lurking here and at blu-ray.com) and I was just wondering what you guys think about the mediaholders of the NGE Ultimate Edition? I can confirm that the german release, which is almost identical to the US and UK Ultimate Edition, won't feature disc trays inside, like this Gurren Langan Limited Edition
, but will look like the 20th Anniversary Cowboy Bebop Edition by AlltheAnime. And I'm really worried about scratches because I had the worst experiences, next to sleeves, with this kind of packaging.

So I'm hoping for early shpping of the Collector's Edition by zavvi, because they also completed my PayPal payment today.
I still have not seen any image of the internal disc mounting for the Eva Ultimate Edition. I assume there are two folders inside to be able to hold all of the 11 discs? Is there any unboxing video or even a still image of the disc mounting inside the German UE? This really bothers me that they haven't publicized the interior mounting in the folders.

I live in the US so Blu-rays here are Region A, but I purchased both the Region A US Ultimate set, and the Region B UK Collector's set while it was on sale at Zavvi. All of my Blu-ray players are multi-region capable, so I can play either set of discs on them. But, what I'm planning to do is swap the discs between the two sets, so that the Region B discs will be stored in the UE, which is mainly going to be just for display purposes anyway, while the Region A discs I'll put in the CE box, which will sit on my media shelf for regular viewing. This way I won't have to worry as much about the disc mounting in the UE set, since that one will just be storing a Region B backup set of the discs.

I still have not seen any image of the internal disc mounting for the Eva Ultimate Edition. I assume there are two folders inside to be able to hold all of the 11 discs? Is there any unboxing video or even a still image of the disc mounting inside the German UE? This really bothers me that they haven't publicized the interior mounting in the folders.

I live in the US so Blu-rays here are Region A, but I purchased both the Region A US Ultimate set, and the Region B UK Collector's set while it was on sale at Zavvi. All of my Blu-ray players are multi-region capable, so I can play either set of discs on them. But, what I'm planning to do is swap the discs between the two sets, so that the Region B discs will be stored in the UE, which is mainly going to be just for display purposes anyway, while the Region A discs I'll put in the CE box, which will sit on my media shelf for regular viewing. This way I won't have to worry as much about the disc mounting in the UE set, since that one will just be storing a Region B backup set of the discs.
There is no unboxing video but the company behind the release (Leonine Anime) was kind enough to send me a picture of the concept phase, showing the interior of the folder, when I contacted them. I also received a table containing info on what content is on what disc. Both movies are on one disc btw (which is no big suprise since it's handled the same way in the UK standard edition) I can send them to you if you're interested.

As you can see here we only receive one folder because we only get 7 discs.81M8sldxaNL._SL1500_.jpgThey basically omitted 4 discs with the Netflix dub because it's disliked in the german fanbase. Similar to how UK and US fans think about their Netflix dub.

Interesting plan you have :D Unfortunately I only use my european PS3 as a bluray player so only region B for me. I have the CE from zavvi and the german edition preordered but I'm actually thinking about cancelling my german edition and just sticking with the CE (as long as zavvi's packaging is secure and I don't have to pay horrendous import fees) and buying the "Der Mond" artbook from Sadamoto with the money I save. As far as I know it's smyth-sewn. Unlike the hardcover book in the UE, which is advertised as "perfect-bound", which means that the pages are cheaply glued to the spine and it's not very long-lasting.

Last edited:
Very strange situation indeed. I selected Klarna as my payment option (get the order first and pay after delivery) and I just received invoice from Klarna regarding my Eva blu-ray order but no shipping notification from Zavvi. The due date of the invoice is 1st of December and Zavvi's release date for Eva is 6th of December, The status of the order is "awaiting dispatch."

I sent Zavvi an e-mail asking if they are shipping the item early, I hope they will answer soon.
Yeah hopefully we'll know what's happening soon.

There is no unboxing video but the company behind the release (Leonine Anime) was kind enough to send me a picture of the concept phase, showing the interior of the folder, when I contacted them. I also received a table containing info on what content is on what disc. Both movies are on one disc btw (which is no big suprise since it's handled the same way in the UK standard edition) I can send them to you if you're interested.

As you can see here we only receive one folder because we only get 7 discs.View attachment 21504They basically omitted 4 discs with the Netflix dub because it's disliked in the german fanbase. Similar to how UK and US fans think about their Netflix dub.

Interesting plan you have :D Unfortunately I only use my european PS3 as a bluray player so only region B for me. I have the CE from zavvi and the german edition preordered but I'm actually thinking about cancelling my german edition and just sticking with the CE (as long as zavvi's packaging is secure and I don't have to pay horrendous import fees) and buying the "Der Mond" artbook from Sadamoto with the money I save. As far as I know it's smyth-sewn. Unlike the hardcover book in the UE, which is advertised as "perfect-bound", which means that the pages are cheaply glued to the spine and it's not very long-lasting.

I am aware the German set has only 7 discs, but I still have not seen how the discs are actually mounted to the inside of the folders - are they plastic hubs, cardboard slots, or something else? I'm guessing for the US and UK sets the one folder will have 7 hubs/slots and the second folder will have four hubs/slots for the ADV dub discs. Can you post the image you received of the inside of the German UE folder? That is what I am asking/wanting to see, not another retail image of just the outside of the folder, which shows nothing of the type of hubs/slots being used on the inside. Thanks!

I am aware the German set has only 7 discs, but I still have not seen how the discs are actually mounted to the inside of the folders - are they plastic hubs, cardboard slots, or something else? I'm guessing for the US and UK sets the one folder will have 7 hubs/slots and the second folder will have four hubs/slots for the ADV dub discs. Can you post the image you received of the inside of the German UE folder? That is what I am asking/wanting to see, not another retail image of just the outside of the folder, which shows nothing of the type of hubs/slots being used on the inside. Thanks!
As I said it's going to look like the Cowboy Bebop 20th Anniversary Edition from AlltheAnime. This is the image I've received:
image001.jpg
They said it's from an early concept phase though, but described the final product as: "There will be some kind of nipples made of foam rubber-like material and in addition the space for the discs is milled out."

Last edited:
ugh, not very favorable indeed. But at least way better than cardboard slots. Since I won't really ever be removing the discs from the UE set once I swap the discs out, I guess it's acceptable... Thanks for the pic!

ugh, not very favorable indeed. But at least way better than cardboard slots. Since I won't really ever be removing the discs from the UE set once I swap the discs out, I guess it's acceptable... Thanks for the pic!
You're welcome. Still very dissapointing though. Especially for such an expensive edition. I expected the folders to look something like the GitS SAC Boxset folder:
PP-Standalone-MANUK2.jpg

But maybe there's still hope for GKids and AlltheAnime to do it differently than Leonine?

They didn't stop them when they broke the Outlaw Star street date by a considerable amount, I don't seem them doing anything now.
does raise the question, why do they continue to allow them exclusivity deals for products if they then do this?
I guess the amount of money they pay in advance must be huge?

does raise the question, why do they continue to allow them exclusivity deals for products if they then do this?
I guess the amount of money they pay in advance must be huge?
i don't think AL minds about that stuff doing it themself, i think i got the Psycho-Pass blu-ray recently like 3 weeks before the date it was originally delayed to and iirc i've recieved gundam from either them or AoL a couple weeks before release date too

While looking through Rightstuf, I noticed something that may explain the Evangelion early release via Zavvi, the US release date for both CE and SE, 9/11, not sure if that is useful but it does seem to fit the early release in the UK, weren't they meant to be released in all 3 countries on the same date?

Back