UK Anime Distributor MVM Entertainment Discussion Thread

Oh dang Shobitch got cut? That's a shame (just for the sole reason of seeing a show getting a cut, I haven't seen the show outside the previews or know what was cut) When was the last time an anime even got a forced cut?

Or... and hear me out... Just stop putting BBFC logos on the spine?! It's not a legal requirement and doesn't seem to hurt the visibility of Eureka, Arrow, and 88 Films in brick & mortar stores 🤷‍♂️

Also it takes a bit more than just blanking out the logos as to me all that empty space looks worse than before.

In a sentence no one on this forum ever thought they'd type but if you want a good example of it done right then look at Manga Entertainment's release of the original SAO.
Still has the logo but not the intrusive BBFC and looks 100% better.

Cover:
20210910_164930.jpg

Reversible:
20210910_164841.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Or... and hear me out... Just stop putting BBFC logos on the spine?! It's not a legal requirement and doesn't seem to hurt the visibility of Eureka, Arrow, and 88 Films in brick & mortar stores 🤷‍♂️

Also it takes a bit more than just blanking out the logos as to me all that empty space looks worse than before.

In a sentence no one on this forum ever thought they'd type but if you want a good example of it done right then look at Manga Entertainment's release of the original SAO.
Still has the logo but not the intrusive BBFC and looks 100% better.

I've never found BBFC ratings intrusive. They're practically invisible compared to Australian age ratings.

I've never found BBFC ratings intrusive. They're practically invisible compared to Australian age ratings.
Or even the German ones!!! 😱

I don't think its something you really notice until its not there and then you realise it looks infinitely better without.

Side note, every German blu ray I've ever bought had a Reversible cover without the age rating 😂

Meanwhile, Spanish ratings are a tiny print in the back. Personally I think something like the French system (clearly visible symbol on the back) is enough, I think nobody picks up something up to read the synopsis in the back because it has the rating they like lol

Meanwhile, Spanish ratings are a tiny print in the back. Personally I think something like the French system (clearly visible symbol on the back) is enough, I think nobody picks up something up to read the synopsis in the back because it has the rating they like lol
I have several Spanish animes and I'd never even noticed an age rating lol. Here's Akame Ga Kill as an example:

Can you spot it?
20210910_212502.jpg

And the answer:

20210910_212648.jpg

Is there any kind of pattern to how long after a US Sentai release MVM announce if they've licensed the show? I've been holding off on importing Wasteful Days of High School Girls so I could support a local release if it happens, but it's been a year since the US blu-ray came out now, and there hasn't been any hint as far as I'm aware. Does that mean MVM aren't likely to license it at this point, or is there no pattern at all? I don't want to wait so long that the US release goes out of print.

Is there any kind of pattern to how long after a US Sentai release MVM announce if they've licensed the show? I've been holding off on importing Wasteful Days of High School Girls so I could support a local release if it happens, but it's been a year since the US blu-ray came out now, and there hasn't been any hint as far as I'm aware. Does that mean MVM aren't likely to license it at this point, or is there no pattern at all? I don't want to wait so long that the US release goes out of print.
Honestly it's pretty random. MVM will pretty much go for any Sentai title (if Sentai has UK rights) at this point, so we could see a mixture of older and newer releases from here on if they need to. So for instance the next set of licenses could go from something like DanMachi Season 3 and My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU Climax all the way back to GODANNAR and The Pet Girl of Sakurasou.

That said, I don't expect them to go after Crunchyroll titles as Sentai only have US/CA rights for them and therefore those specific titles (Iruma-kun, Rent-A-Girlfriend, Monster Girl Doctor, Food Wars, Haikyu etc.) are more likely to appear under either Anime Limited or Funimation.

Honestly it's pretty random. MVM will pretty much go for any Sentai title (if Sentai has UK rights) at this point, so we could see a mixture of older and newer releases from here on if they need to. So for instance the next set of licenses could go from something like DanMachi Season 3 and My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU Climax all the way back to GODANNAR and The Pet Girl of Sakurasou.

That said, I don't expect them to go after Crunchyroll titles as Sentai only have US/CA rights for them and therefore those specific titles (Iruma-kun, Rent-A-Girlfriend, Monster Girl Doctor, Food Wars, Haikyu etc.) are more likely to appear under either Anime Limited or Funimation.
Thanks. I'll suppress my FOMO and wait a bit longer.

Sentai releases seem to stay in print longer than Discotek, but it feels like any licence can expire at any time. I'm still kicking myself for waiting too long on Ghost Sweeper Mikami.

Sentai releases seem to stay in print longer than Discotek, but it feels like any licence can expire at any time.
Sentai's Standard releases usually stay in print for several years - like most Discotek's (except for Dear Brother).
However due to some logistic problems, lower print runs and the fact that many general retailers no longer stock (most) Discotek titles, it might take several months for reprinting a certain title.

The situation with Funimation USA is similar: Several Dozen titles of their (slightly) older catalogue have been OOS for several months.
(My July order still has 14 titles not yet in stock)

@MVM :
What happened to Dog & Scissors?

Can confirm we've no plans at present for this title - doesn't mean to say we or anyone else won't at some point, but it's certainly not present anytime soon.

Sentai's Standard releases usually stay in print for several years - like most Discotek's (except for Dear Brother).
However due to some logistic problems, lower print runs and the fact that many general retailers no longer stock (most) Discotek titles, it might take several months for reprinting a certain title.

The situation with Funimation USA is similar: Several Dozen titles of their (slightly) older catalogue have been OOS for several months.
(My July order still has 14 titles not yet in stock)

@MVM :
What happened to Dog & Scissors?
There's some issues with Dog & Scissors that we're trying to sort out at the moment and as such it's temporarily on hold.

Thanks. I'll suppress my FOMO and wait a bit longer.

Sentai releases seem to stay in print longer than Discotek, but it feels like any licence can expire at any time. I'm still kicking myself for waiting too long on Ghost Sweeper Mikami.
IIRC licenses generally last about 7 years so that should be a good reference for when you want to buy something

Can confirm we've no plans at present for this title - doesn't mean to say we or anyone else won't at some point, but it's certainly not present anytime soon.
Thanks for the confirmation.

IIRC licenses generally last about 7 years so that should be a good reference for when you want to buy something
I had a feeling it tended to be in that range, but there are enough exceptions to make me twitch. I can't remember all the ones I noticed off the top of my head, but Ideon went out of print after a year or two, the same for Goshogun, One Week Friends was maybe 4 years, etc.

Back