UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

This years Scotland Loves Anime list out.

Would love to see EoE on the big screen so may pop through to Edinburgh for that, would like to see On-Gaku too but we'll see.
Oh my goodness, the nightmare that is EoE on the big screen!!! And I want to watch almost every other movie on that list. Bloody hell, how can I convince my wife on a trip to Scotland to watch anime hmmmm.... This may, very sadly, be a lost cause....

I'll certainly go see End of Evangelion on the big screen if I can make it, but I feel that there's a missed opportunity there for a double bill with Death(True)2 (or Death and Rebirth, to be faithful to the original presentation)

I'll certainly go see End of Evangelion on the big screen if I can make it, but I feel that there's a missed opportunity there for a double bill with Death(True)2 (or Death and Rebirth, to be faithful to the original presentation)
I see no point in showing Death and Rebirth as it is simply the unfinished version of both parts. That said both Death(True)² and End of Evangelion were eventually screened together in their completed forms as Revival of Evangelion. Would've been cool for SLA to do the same.

Can we have Northern Ireland Loves Anime so I can see EoE on the big screen pls 😭
Indeed, they should roll out a UK Loves Anime festival (because we do!) so that all of us can can partake in this awesomeness in every region. Hey ho, good on the Scots for being at the forefront of this (I will keep trying to convince the other half for a trip to Edinburgh but it's falling on deaf ears thus far....).

Actually now that I think about it, wasn't there an anime film festival in London in 2019 with showings at Prince Charles Cinema? I wonder if that will be repeated any time soon...

I see no point in showing Death and Rebirth as it is simply the unfinished version of both parts. That said both Death(True)² and End of Evangelion were eventually screened together in their completed forms as Revival of Evangelion. Would've been cool for SLA to do the same.

Yeah, you're right - had it mixed up in my head there!

A cinema release of the full Revival of Evangelion program would be great - and probably quite successful given the sales numbers on the box set!

Indeed, they should roll out a UK Loves Anime festival (because we do!) so that all of us can can partake in this awesomeness in every region.
AL doing mini festivals across different indie cinemas in major UK cities would be cool to see
Funnily enough, before Scotland Loves Anime took off the way it has, AL did organise a short-lived touring version of it that was called We Love Anime.

It visited my local indie cinema in Dundee back in 2011, and I saw Redline, Evangelion 2.0 and Trigun: Badlands Rumble. I seem to remember that the first part of Mardock Scramble was also on the bill elsewhere, along with Tekken: Blood Vengeance and others.

The programme's Twitter account still exists, actually:
⚠️The Twitter page is safe, but I wouldn't recommend clicking through to the official website from there, though, because the domain name seems to have been taken over by something else.

Oh my goodness, the nightmare that is EoE on the big screen!!! And I want to watch almost every other movie on that list. Bloody hell, how can I convince my wife on a trip to Scotland to watch anime hmmmm.... This may, very sadly, be a lost cause....
End of Evangelion in a cinema. I've been waiting for this. Looks like to is time to find out the best way to trvael to Edinburgh.

Indeed, they should roll out a UK Loves Anime festival (because we do!) so that all of us can can partake in this awesomeness in every region. Hey ho, good on the Scots for being at the forefront of this (I will keep trying to convince the other half for a trip to Edinburgh but it's falling on deaf ears thus far....).

Actually now that I think about it, wasn't there an anime film festival in London in 2019 with showings at Prince Charles Cinema? I wonder if that will be repeated any time soon...

Funny you should say that...but while can't tour everything of course but alongside the online element we're also branching outwards to engage people who can't make the distance as best we can this year!

Stay tuned for more info in due course there - it'll no doubt not be what everyone wants in terms of venues or precise line-up (because balancing that vs commercial and licensing realities are unlikely to match every desire), but it's a starting point to grow from going forwards :).

Andrew

More Than Miyazaki - Japanese Anime Season It'd be cool if the Watershed could do more anime themed seasons too if possible

I can't speak for the Watershed, but the BFI are programming a two-month anime season at the Southbank in April to May 2022 as part of their larger, delayed, 'BFI Japan' celebration. They'll be touring some films so it's quite possible that some anime will also go outside of London.

Now that Kakegurui is getting released in the US with a Sentai dub, what's the current update with the UK release?

(Random trivia: Series was licensed in February 2018, they aimed for a Q1 2019 release - it is now Q3 2021. Last update we know of was during Cloud Matsuri in November 2020.)

Last edited:
Now that Kakegurui is getting released in the US with a Sentai dub, what's the current update with the UK release?

(Random trivia: Series was licensed in February 2018, they aimed for a Q1 2019 release - it is now Q3 2021. Last update we know of was during Cloud Matsuri in November 2020.)
I don't know the details of anime licenses but I'm assuming it starts when you sign a contract not when you get it out the door right?
So assuming it's a 5yr contract, as seems to be the norm, they're halfway through already 😳
Like I said a lot of assumptions. I know nothing. Just a looks bad when you announce something and nearly 3yrs later people are still waiting to hear anything and another company announces it and plans to have it out in under 3 months....

Why are Sentai doing another dub again? The Netflix one was pretty good.

I don't know the details of anime licenses but I'm assuming it starts when you sign a contract not when you get it out the door right?
So assuming it's a 5yr contract, as seems to be the norm, they're halfway through already 😳
Like I said a lot of assumptions. I know nothing. Just a looks bad when you announce something and nearly 3yrs later people are still waiting to hear anything and another company announces it and plans to have it out in under 3 months....

Why are Sentai doing another dub again? The Netflix one was pretty good.
Netflix has been charging absurd amounts for a lot of their dubs; so much that it's significantly cheaper to just do another dub of your own instead.

There's also a possibility that Sentai may have not even bothered to make an attempt to get the Netflix dub for Kakegurui after their attempt with Baki. They might have assumed that if one show's dub is expensive then the others are as well.

I'm not saying that the Kakegurui dub is cheap, but Baki is a pretty big IP for Netflix compared to others so I would not be surprised if Kakegurui would be at least cheaper than Baki for dub costs.

Back