Your viewing journal

A Cheeky Angel Episodes 1-3 - I love this! The animation and art are wonky and inconsistent but the visual comedy works well, the direction is great, the writing is waaaay better than the majority of Kyoani shows and the show appears to have some legitimately interesting things to say about gender politics, so I'm really enjoying it :)

Magica Record Season 2 Episode 1 - Somehow I got into this and makes my S1 purchase worth it. I think I need to switch my brain and knowledge of the main series off to enjoy this was worth the wait though.

The Case Study of Vanitas ep 5
Gift.
The tone of this show has been all over the place from clowning around and lighthearted reactions to dark themes and violence every episode, at least it made a bit of sense in this episode as the happy times set up for the gut punch later.

Kageki Shoujo!! ep 5
In fair Verona, where we lay our scene.
This episode dealt with a fairly heavy subject, but it seemed to be solved a little too easily.

Jobless Reincarnation ep5-8 (English dub)

Unsure whether I really want to continue this one. As a light adventure series it’s fine, a quality production that’s often quite charming, but the ecchi scenes seem at odds with the general tone of the show at best, and at worst, a couple of them pretty much soured me on the show altogether. There’s never anything massively explicit here, but some of what it touches on is made incredibly creepy by the central ‘adult man’s mind in a child’s body’ gambit, and the show absolutely glosses over these moments as though nothing had happened.

Record of Lodoss War OVA1 (English dub)

Not quite sure how it took me so long to get around to this. In a time when we’re so flooded with isekai shows, going back to an honest to goodness traditional high fantasy yarn that doesn’t rely on high concept gimmicks, is quite refreshing. The art still looks amazing too.

How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom episode 5 Suited up.

Kajeki Shojo!! episode 5 Support.

Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story Season 2 - The Eve of Awakening episode 1 Return.

My Hero Academia Fifth Season episode 106 Atone and admire.

Remake Our Life! episode 5 Confront.

The Great Jahy Will Not Be Defeated! episode 1 Not so mighty.

The Honor at Magic High School episode 5 Worry.

Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun Season 2 episode 16 Strengths.

Gingitsune episodes 10-12 (Complete. A spiritual slice-of-life series which was endearing enough to keep itself interesting and likeable.) 3.5/5

Girls Beyond the Wasteland
episodes 1-12 (Complete. A solid story concept though the characters and the dramatic scenarios weren’t strong elements but otherwise a decent watch overall.) 3/5

Last edited:
I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Level (English Dub) Episode 10

My Hero Academia Season 5 (English Dub) Episode 16

Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun 2nd Season (English Dub) Episode 31

Blue Reflection Ray episode 16 Rings.

How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom Episode 5 Dressed up.

Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka☆Magica Side Story Season 2 - The Eve of Awakening Episode 1 Gone back.

My Hero Academia Season 5 Episode 18 Atonement.

Remake Our Life! Episode 5 Confronted.

The Great Jahy Will Not Be Defeated! Episode 1 Fall from grace.

Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun 2nd Season Episode 39 Different strengths.

Kare Kano Ep 1: In which Miyazawa is upset about only being the second-best priest now! :( ;-; :<

I'm rewatching His and Her Circumstances to help me chill out and I'm lowkey letting everyone know this partly so I can make a Father Ted joke about Yukino's complex towards Arima XD I mean DGMW I empathise with her I don't need my protagonists (female or otherwise) to be perfect (or close to it) in order for me to give a damn about them. But I couldn't help thinking of it while watching XD

Ugh, I thought I would really like His or Her Circumstance. I had bought the set years ago, and my mother and I tried to watch it about 2 years ago. We made it through 2 episodes, maybe part of Episode 3, and had to shut it off, because it was nothing but the characters constantly yelling and screaming at each other, the worst possible turn-off for me in an anime. It was another Kimi no Todoki, Princess Jellyfish, Iroha, and My Little Monster, other series I had owned the Limited Edition boxsets of that I really wanted to like but couldn't stand because of that obnoxious not-funny-at-all screaming "comedy," so I sold them all off to get them out of my collection. I don't know how anybody could "chill out" watching something like that. :eek:

...OK lol. IDK what to tell you it's one of my favorite shows - I saw it when I was about 15-16 years old and it got me hooked on anime! Still love it. I know you have Strong Opinions (TM) about anime comedy but maybe you don't need to share them every time someone mentions an anime comedy that you don't like?

@Girls with Guns I legit find that interesting, cuz it's evident that all five of those shows have a considerable number of fans so you and your friends/family's opinions are not universal yet your group all feel the same way about it. I will note that I watched His and Her Circumstances in Japanese and Kimi ni Todoke and Princess Jellyfish as well (I have seen half of Hanasaku Iroha and was put off by the show's apparent and gratuitous glorification of overwork culture, rather than the style of humour, though there were some things I liked about the series, I also enjoyed the first episode of My Little Monster but have not gotten around to watching more of it as I decided to read the manga at some point for a more complete story). I suppose that we do tend to surround ourselves with people who are similar to us in one way or another? I'm sorry if I was a bit snippy/rude, I'd be genuinely interested to hear your thoughts on Noir, Madlax and El Cazador de la Bruja if you ever feel like it? (though maybe it should be in a different thread), as I prefer to talk about and hear people talk about what they love than what they hate myself (unless I am mistaken and you actually hate those three shows 😭 😅 🤣) :)

EDIT: Also this has reminded me that I still need to read the Kare Kano manga series as I own all the old Tokyopop manga singles and I want to find out what happens and spend more time with the characters :)

Last edited:
How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom (English Dub) Episode 1

EDENS ZERO Episode 17 Frozen in time.

The Detective is Already Dead Episode 5 Werewolf.

The Duke of Death and His Maid Episode 5 Charm.

Boruto: Naruto Next Generations episode 209 Member of the village.

The Detective is Already Dead episode 5 Break on through.

The Duke of Death and his Maid episode 5 Viola method.

Glass Mask (2005) episodes 1-24

Villainess s2 e5
Childhood memories.

1m Lives s2 e4
Forces of nature.

The Great Jahy Will Not Be Defeated ep 1
Seems like it could be an amusing show.

D_Cide ep 4
Warmth.

Remake Our Lives ep 5
School festival. Nice reference at the end there, I don't know why but I knew before a chord was struck she was going to do God Knows... and then that opening riff hit!

The Detective is Already Dead ep 5 (dropped)
I've decided this is a little too silly and definitely more than a little dull.

The Duke of Death and His Maid ep 5
Skating and girl talk.

Life Lessons with Uramichi Oniisan episode 5 Concert.

To Your Eternity episode 16 Vicious.

Glass Mask (2005) episodes 25-39

Blue Reflection Ray-eps. 15 & 16, I get tired of everybody throwing crap at this show and saying it's total junk!! What we have is a good maho shoujo show with an interesting premise and decent characters and a reasonably well written plot-it keeps me coming back for more every week.

Record of Lodoss War OVA 2-5

It's a little telling that the story famously had its origins in a D&D game, the characters do all tend to stick pretty close to their expected archetypes. Really can't fault the artwork though. Perhaps it isn't quite up there with the Slayers movie, but the series is gorgeous to look at.

I've also switched to the Japanese audio; the English dub is fine, but I prefer the original VA cast here.

Back