UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

How was the record flight case unnecessary? It’s an essential part of the Anime Limited collection. Where else would one store the AL vinyl releases?
That is indeed exactly what I use mine for! It's also on display and acts as a back drop of sorts for my K-on! figures as they jam!

Personally I love that the Cowboy Bebop and Full Metal Alchemist UEs were overly extravagant. I wouldn't want it for every UE but every now and then I like it and Eva is a show I definitely appreciate it for.

Going by how the Korean and Italian sets have been detailed, it wouldn't surprise me if the UK version of Evangelion is similar. Like for instance both of those releases each have the same 140-page book. Italy has a 60-page artbook and a few posters which could easily be carried over into the UK release.

My prediction on the disc count is probably 4 for the main episodes, 1 for the TV bonus features content, 1 for Evangelion: Death (True)2, and 1 for The End of Evangelion. Digipack would probably be too much for the discs allocated so I reckon the main box of the series will be the size of Full Metal Panic! Seasons 1-3 collection using three Amaray cases but with extra room for the artbook.

So in the end it'll probably be more in-line with Eureka Seven and Wolf's Rain in terms of presentation. If it's going to end up looking like B: The Beginning I ain't going to be happy. Price estimation I'm still expecting £199.99 SRP at maximum and maybe £149.99 as a possibility given the entire franchise has been BBFC'd already.

It’s not cutting costs ever since Gurren Lagann how many years ago they’ve been more careful. But yes this past year makes me think Digipacks are on the way out from AL none for Demon Slayer, none for Penguindrum none for psycho pass sinners bizarrely when the prior releases do. If they use the criterion cases like they did for P5 I’ll be happy if they use the cheap ones they used for Utena and demon slayer part 1 I won’t.

I suspect we'll hear something about Evangelion soon, seeing as the Italian, Korean and German releases have recently been detailed. They look quite similar (and I like them!) so I don't expect the AL release to deviate much if at all. It would be nice to get the Archives of Evangelion / all versions of the films for posterity though.

I'm wondering if one of the new license announcements will be Future Boy Conan? Not guaranteed, obviously, but plausible, particularly now that a dub is planned :)

Hopefully! Last time they commented about Future Boy Conan they weren't too optimistic about its commercial prospects, but that was probably half a decade ago now - and before the new restoration, dub and US announcement....fingers and toes crossed!

I suspect we'll hear something about Evangelion soon, seeing as the Italian, Korean and German releases have recently been detailed. They look quite similar (and I like them!) so I don't expect the AL release to deviate much if at all. It would be nice to get the Archives of Evangelion / all versions of the films for posterity though.
I mean it's not like they're going to go all-out and reveal it during the Summer sale right? right?

(I still think they're aiming for Monday 4th October)

As much as we all want to have all versions of Death, I doubt we'll ever get the original 1997 version on Blu-Ray.
The original version was released only once outside of Japan, in 2013, as a bonus DVD of the FR DTS movies set.
That happened while Gainax was still managing the rights of NGE, it's nearly certain khara would not permit any of this nowadays.

Last edited:
Is Anno the type who would only want his most recent cut released? I thought seeing as they had been released in Japan as part of the box set, he wouldn't have much objection - though whether or not international distributors would want to pay for licensing/certification/extra discs for multiple cuts that probably won't be dealbreakers for most, if anyone, is another matter.

Probably both and leaving some exclusive content to the Japanese boxset to limit back import.
On the distributor stand-point, while I can understand skipping WOWOW's Death(True) as it is essentially Death(True)^2 with one added scene, Death mixes footage from the show and the director's cuts. The laters were cut-out to obtain Death(True), so it's why it's ever so slightly more interesting than the (True) one.

I received a shipping notification for Demon Slayer Part 2 also.

In regards to Evangelion, a part of me doubts that it'll be part of the summer sale, seeing as Anime Limited launched a mailing list a long while ago for updates regarding the Evangelion Ultimate Edition set, which I've already signed up for.

Once upon a time i'd have been all over an Eva SE but now I just want them to follow that with a normal edition, like they just did with Gundam Seed. I just want the shows and maybe a slipcase to keep the blurays in.

Once upon a time i'd have been all over an Eva SE but now I just want them to follow that with a normal edition, like they just did with Gundam Seed. I just want the shows and maybe a slipcase to keep the blurays in.

Agreed, considering it's been out of print in the UK for how long?

A basic edition could generate more sales by those who might have only watched it years ago when it was shown on telly. Certainly I would upgrade my Region 1 "Platinum" boxset for it on blu-ray.

Given that its evangelion, I would be disappointed if they tried to cut costs by going with amarays instead of digipacks.
The Eureka 7 UE is the kind of template I’d like to see, digipacks in a regular sized case I can shelve with other blu-rays, a nice large format book I can shelve with other books and perhaps some quality tat all in a box that doesn’t really matter.

My main concern is that it isn’t too horrendously expensive, but I’ll come to terms with that as and when.

Anime Limited have yet another tweet promoting the sale today, curious thing about it though is that it's the second such tweet to use an image from Amanchu, and with the season 1 CE being sold out, I can't see the standard release being in the sale justification for that...

Don't you be getting my hopes up for a season 2 announcement, AL...

Back