Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

I've never seen the Berserk manga, but I understand even today its not complete. Should someone want to adapt it, they'd have to do an anime original ending.

I've seen season 1 of the Berserk 1997 anime, but I can see why they didn't do more of it at the time, no end in sight.
I love the 97 anime, it’s my favourite series. I finally bit the bullet and started reading the Manga... I am concerned he doesn’t know how to end it but I’ll be able to judge that more when I catch up...only on Volume 8 😂 I’m even more concerned I won’t like the ending... if I ever see it but he did said the end is in sight in a interview in the guidebook... I don’t expect it to be many more volumes than are out but he’s slower than George RR Martin 😂

I love the 97 anime, it’s my favourite series. I finally bit the bullet and started reading the Manga... I am concerned he doesn’t know how to end it but I’ll be able to judge that more when I catch up...only on Volume 8 😂 I’m even more concerned I won’t like the ending... if I ever see it but he did said the end is in sight in a interview in the guidebook... I don’t expect it to be many more volumes than are out but he’s slower than George RR Martin 😂

Each Game of Thrones book has longer and longer between releases, I'm not convinced either GoT or Berserk will ever be finished!

Berserk 1997 was pretty good but ended in a weird place, and I understand there is loads of manga beyond it.

Psycho Pass Season 1 - 7.5/10

I got half way into season 2 before I decided it felt too disjointed. Season 2 was missing my fav characters from Season 1, and didn't seem to be working towards solving anything, so I've going to quit Psycho Pass at Season 1 and pretend the rest didn't occur, the old Tokyo Ghoul treatment.

Godannar
This show can be described in one word: excess. Subtlety doesn't exist in its dictionary; everything is big, bright, and brash. Giant robots, giant monsters, giant boobs, giant emotions, giant melodrama. It's both a parody of super robot shows and an unabashed love letter to them. Speaking of love letters and excess, that's the other ingredient of the show: romantic comedy. Like everything else, this is dialled up until your ears bleed. Why have one or two romance arcs when you can wallow in the love lives of every single character in the show? Sometimes it's played for laughs, other times it's played straight, but it's always over the top.

If this sounds chaotic, it is. Though a lot of fun in general, the madness does get away from it sometimes. In the middle of the series we get a lot of filler focusing on the seemingly endless parade of robot pilots from around the world. They're a weird and distinctive bunch, and inevitably every two-person team has some kind of repressed romance going on, but I start to wonder why so much time is being spent on them. When it gets to the point where we spend an episode focusing on the arranged marriage of a random engineer who has no bearing on the plot, I'd rather it just got on with the main story. That's not to say these parts aren't entertaining, but the series does spend too long spinning its plasma drives instead of moving forward.

Fortunately, the majority of the show works better. The action is all good, being one of the last shows to use all hand-drawn animation for the robots. There are plenty of mysteries and twists. And the central age-gap romance between the main robot-piloting couple works as a great source of comedy and drama, ultimately becoming quite poignant by the show's surprisingly heartfelt conclusion. If the show had spent more time focusing on these elements, it would have been a solid 8, but as it is, it just about slips to:

7/10

That's what my head says, at least, but I love this show anyway.

I got half way into season 2 before I decided it felt too disjointed. Season 2 was missing my fav characters from Season 1, and didn't seem to be working towards solving anything, so I've going to quit Psycho Pass at Season 1 and pretend the rest didn't occur, the old Tokyo Ghoul treatment.
So I was also disappointed by s2 the first time I watched it but with rewatches it improves massively. It's actually very good in the way it builds on themes of s1 so I would reccomend sticking with it. By far the biggest issue is how unlikable the new officer is but again after seening it all it all makes more sense.

Also it's worth sticking with it as the movie that follows season 2 has the character you're missing back and is a great watch. And then the Sinners of the System films are great and old favourites return. Season 3 is another weird one with a mostly new cast but it fits the world great although a new power is shown which I didnt like.

I appreciate that s1 is a perfect cyberpunk series but the rest does have many highs that made it worth it for me even if it's never as consistent. Thematically it is consistent and its always interesting to see how the world affects or impressions people under the guise of their freedom.

Last edited:
So I was also disappointed by s2 the first time I watched it but with rewatches it improves massively. It's actually very good in the way it builds on themes of s1 so I would reccomend sticking with it. By the biggest issue is how unlikable the new officer is but again after seening it all it all makes more sense.

Also it's worth sticking with as the movie that follows season 2 has the character you're missing back and is a great watch. And then the Sinners of the System films are great and old favourites return. Season 3 is another weird one with a mostly new cast but it fits the world great although a new power is shown which I didnt like.

I appreciate that s1 is a perfect cyberpunk series but the rest does have many highs that made it worth it for me even if it's never as consistent. Thematically it is consistent and its always interesting to see how the world affects or impressions people under the guise of their freedom.

It just felt kind of aimless to me I think. Season 1 explored some interesting ideas, but season 2 so far hasn't really built on any of it.

I had a quick read online and even with the films and season 3 nothing is really resolved yet, so I'm not totally convinced it's worth extra time spent on it, I could resent it if Season 1 was the peak the rest just meanders about.

I am a big fan of completed stories, sometimes things don't get full adaptations which is fine, but I kind of have an expectation that more episodes in a sequel are able to propel the story onwards in some sort of meaningful fashion.

I enjoyed Season 1 but it didn't blow my socks off, so to speak, so not sure I want to sit through a lot more of it if it doesn't achieve the goal of bringing to story itself to a close.

I didn’t like season 2, so much so I no longer have season 1, it kinda killed it for me. There’s a perfect place to end it in season 1 and I felt like they took another option so more could be made.. the movie is pretty good though.

I've never seen the Berserk manga, but I understand even today its not complete. Should someone want to adapt it, they'd have to do an anime original ending.

I've seen season 1 of the Berserk 1997 anime, but I can see why they didn't do more of it at the time, no end in sight.
Yeah it’s my one issue with it. One more ep and it could have had an ending.. I heard they ran out of money though. Yeah there is loads of the Manga after the anime series (which covers the Golden Age Arc) whether it’s as good... I’m about to find out 😁

I enjoyed Season 1 but it didn't blow my socks off, so to speak, so not sure I want to sit through a lot more of it if it doesn't achieve the goal of bringing to story itself to a close.
Fair enough. For me s1 did blow my socks off so I've always to see more of the world. Tbf you can jump to movie as it's a self contained story and the character you what more of is back. It also does some nice world building by literally going outside of Japan.

The Sinner of the System films are also 3 self contained stories though they are also moving pieces around for season 3 but can be enjoyed as they are. Season 3 tells it's own story (and there's actually a film sequel that is necessary to it) but it is the entry most needing the next chapter of the story to see how it plays out.

I did a whole franchise watch of the series a little while back so here's what I said about each bit if you're interested:
Huge Psycho Pass binge incoming

Psycho Pass rewatch
It's been ages since I last watched this. God it's so good. Best cyberpunk since GitS:SAC and I havent seen anything since that's better. The concept, the characters, the design, the story all piece together so seamlessly.

Psycho Pass 2 rewatch
I have to say I enjoyed this so much more than the first time I watched it. I still think it's a shame that Mika is so unlikable from the start but as a contrast to Akane I guess it makes sense. The story however is very good. The way it builds on the themes and expands the scope from season 1 is very well done.

Psycho Pass The Movie rewatch
This is only the second time I've seen this and it was so long ago it like new. Very good film that expands the scope of the show and does some needed world building outside of Japan. It's a swift film that's well paced and nicely told and the action is extremely well animated.

Psycho Pass Sinners of the System Spanish dub
Another great set of films/cases. I'm sure I lost some of the nuances watching in Spanish but overall I was able to keep up with what was going on. The animation was great once again and also gave more great world building. A very apt title given the nature of the stories here!

Psycho Pass 3 and PP3 The First Inspector subs
I've grouped these together as they are clearly a single unit of storytelling. After getting over the shock (and disappointment) of having an almost entirely new main cast I ended up really getting into it. The new cast were great and the story was really interesting and the theme of immigration and using it for political gain feels very timely. Also Mika becomes a pretty likeable character here which was nice. The only thing I didnt like was the mental trace ability which, to me at least, made no sense in the Psycho Pass world. It was a lazy and convenient writing tool to move the plot along when the writers were stuck.

Overall this franchise is brilliant and I hope it continues and keeps pushing into unexpected places.

I didn’t like season 2, so much so I no longer have season 1, it kinda killed it for me. There’s a perfect place to end it in season 1 and I felt like they took another option so more could be made.. the movie is pretty good though.

Yes I got the impression it was a case of "lets drag this out a bit" instead of carrying the actual story forward. I enjoyed the world and the ideas put together in Season 1.

Yeah it’s my one issue with it. One more ep and it could have had an ending.. I heard they ran out of money though. Yeah there is loads of the Manga after the anime series (which covers the Golden Age Arc) whether it’s as good... I’m about to find out 😁

I guess with so much material being left undone, it didn't make much difference either way, bad ending or good.

If I was a studio wanting to do all of Berserk into an anime I would definitely wait until the last manga was done, whenever that was.

Studio Wit could do a good job if they did it as well as Vinland Saga.

Fair enough. For me s1 did blow my socks off so I've always to see more of the world. Tbf you can jump to movie as it's a self contained story and the character you what more of is back. It also does some nice world building by literally going outside of Japan.

The Sinner of the System films are also 3 self contained stories though they are also moving pieces around for season 3 but can be enjoyed as they are. Season 3 tells it's own story (and there's actually a film sequel that is necessary to it) but it is the entry most needing the next chapter of the story to see how it plays out.

I did a whole franchise watch of the series a little while back so here's what I said about each bit if you're interested:

I like how you watched one in Spanish dub, I noticed you liked the Spanish dub in the Lustrous watch we did. Are you Spanish or just reasonably fluent in it?

That other inspector in Season 2 was like some sort of teachers pet tattletale, I got tired of her about 1 episode in!

I like how you watched one in Spanish dub, I noticed you liked the Spanish dub in the Lustrous watch we did. Are you Spanish or just reasonably fluent in it?
I'm actually half Spanish (Mum is from Spain) so my Spanish should probably be better than it is but I like to watch or read stuff in Spanish every now and then for practice. As I watch so much anime anyway I started watching the odd show in Spanish a while back.

With Sinners of the System theres never been a physical UK release so when Spain released one it was my impetus to go back rewatch the show and then watch SotS and s3 for the first time (s3 is on amazon but there's no dub for it which is why I've then watched that in subs) it was an interesting experience to watch something in 3 different languages over its run lol.

That other inspector in Season 2 was like some sort of teachers pet tattletale, I got tired of her about 1 episode in!
Tbf you're not meant to like her in s2. But they do overdo it. As I said in my notes after SotS and then in s3 you do end up liking her, which is crazy as I too hated her in s2.

I'm actually half Spanish (Mum is from Spain) so my Spanish should probably be better than it is but I like to watch or read stuff in Spanish every now and then for practice. As I watch so much anime anyway I started watching the odd show in Spanish a while back.

With Sinners of the System theres never been a physical UK release so when Spain released one it was my impetus to go back rewatch the show and then watch SotS and s3 for the first time (s3 is on amazon but there's no dub for it which is why I've then watched that in subs) it was an interesting experience to watch something in 3 different languages over its run lol.

Tbf you're not meant to like her in s2. But they do overdo it. As I said in my notes after SotS and then in s3 you do end up liking her, which is crazy as I too hated her in s2.

I think as I wasn't blown away by it I'll leave it at end of season 1 and pretend I didn't see more! 🤣

The watch order, films/ovas after it sound confusing, and I think for me personally, aren't ones I am that fussed on hunting down.

Season 1 was cool though, recommend to anyone wanting a good dystopia/sci-fi, and Season 1 kind of ends OK as it is self-contained.

I think as I wasn't blown away by it I'll leave it at end of season 1 and pretend I didn't see more! 🤣

The watch order, films/ovas after it sound confusing, and I think for me personally, aren't ones I am that fussed on hunting down.

Season 1 was cool though, recommend to anyone wanting a good dystopia/sci-fi, and Season 1 kind of ends OK as it is self-contained.
That's fair. Cyberpunk is one of my favourite genres (Ghost in the Shell was my gateway into anime) so I'm always up for watching stiff in the genre.

If you want to try another show I'd reccomend Ergo Proxy if you haven't seen it. From 2006, its an anime original, self contained single series show and it's great. Can be pretty weird at times but it's super atmospheric and the world building and characterisation is superb.

I didn't like season 2 much either. Got 5 minutes into the film but turned it off because of the awful engrish.

I plan to give the series another go in the future though. Worth it just to watch season 1 again, which was brilliant.

That's fair. Cyberpunk is one of my favourite genres (Ghost in the Shell was my gateway into anime) so I'm always up for watching stiff in the genre.

If you want to try another show I'd reccomend Ergo Proxy if you haven't seen it. From 2006, its an anime original, self contained single series show and it's great. Can be pretty weird at times but it's super atmospheric and the world building and characterisation is superb.

Thanks, I haven't actually seen or really heard of it, but I shall bear in mind. I've seen Ghost in the Shell the film but none of the other stuff that bears the same name as well.

For my next sci-fi show I was actually planning Yamato 2199 and it's 2nd season Yamato 2022, looks interesting!

Thanks, I haven't actually seen or really heard of it, but I shall bear in mind. I've seen Ghost in the Shell the film but none of the other stuff that bears the same name as well.

For my next sci-fi show I was actually planning Yamato 2199 and it's 2nd season Yamato 2022, looks interesting!
For me the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex tv series is the best GitS anime, especially season 2 which is in my top 10 animes of all time. Ergo Proxy was one of the early anime shows I watched a decade ago. I've seen so much since then but it's still one of my faves.

I havent watched the Yamato shows yet but they're also on my list to get round to. Hope they're good!

I didn't like season 2 much either. Got 5 minutes into the film but turned it off because of the awful engrish.

I plan to give the series another go in the future though. Worth it just to watch season 1 again, which was brilliant.

Season 2 didn't seem horrific it was just a bit meh to me I think.

Akane is a really good protagonist though, still thought that all the way through, but I missed the side characters from season 1 we lost, whom I won't post the names of for risk of spoilers.

I think I was mid-way into season 1 when I sat down and thought that the department as a whole was pretty awesome, and every single one of them was interesting in one way or another.

Season 2 I just couldn't say the same, or even close really.

For me the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex tv series is the best GitS anime, especially season 2 which is in my top 10 animes of all time. Ergo Proxy was one of the early anime shows I watched a decade ago. I've seen so much since then but it's still one of my faves.

I havent watched the Yamato shows yet but they're also on my list to get round to. Hope they're good!

Possibly another one I need to try sometime. Ergo Proxy is 23 episodes and as you said looks self contained. GitS SAC looks like 2 seasons and an OVA?

Possibly another one I need to try sometime. Ergo Proxy is 23 episodes and as you said looks self contained. GitS SAC looks like 2 seasons and an OVA?
Yeah Ergo Proxy tells a complete story in its run time.

GITS SAC is a mix if stand alone episodes and overarching story episodes. Stand Alone Complex is both a thing in the show and a way to describe the epsiodes as they are either stand alone or complex. Each season tells its own self contained story and then, yeah, theres the tv movie Solid State Society as third part. You do need to watch s1 first but s2 is the best part of it by far.

Also to clarify you dont need to watch the theatrical movies for the tv show as they are considered separate timelines essentially and theres no continuity between them.

Yeah Ergo Proxy tells a complete story in its run time.

GITS SAC is a mix if stand alone episodes and overarching story episodes. Stand Alone Complex is both a thing in the show and a way to describe the epsiodes as they are either stand alone or complex. Each season tells its own self contained story and then, yeah, theres the tv movie Solid State Society as third part. You do need to watch s1 first but s2 is the best part of it by far.

Also to clarify you dont need to watch the theatrical movies for the tv show as they are considered separate timelines essentially and theres no continuity between them.

Spinoffs and alternate timelines drive me crazy, seems quite common in some shows, but it makes following a complete story end-to-end tough. I also don't like episodic stuff where the events of the episodes don't really mean anything (see: Space Dandy for an example).

If I come across a series with spin offs, but it has material that can cover one timeline I'm more likely to enjoy it, although I have started down the rabbit hole with Fate/Zero and Fate/UBW, they seem to continue each other, but there are other Fate spin offs.

With all this in mind I think it's safer if I do Ergo Proxy before I look at GitS :)

Back