Certification Discussion (Formerly Paranoia Agent Uncut UK Release Confirmation)

jake scully

Kiznaiver
To all fans of uncut anime
The blu ray is now uncut
Once in a blue moon the BBFC actually come to their senses
Oh I forgot to say
The British Board Of Film Censors (not classification- as that word signifies nothing) will always be dictators of what we are allowed or not allowed to watch
Rant over😄

I don't see how the word 'classification' "signifies nothing" :confused:
They are still censors
If you ever read about it you’ll lnow
They only changed the stupid Classification word from Censors which of course they are since the 1994 Video Recordings Act Buy continued to cut and ban films

They are still censors
If you ever read about it you’ll lnow
They only changed the stupid Classification word from Censors which of course they are since the 1994 Video Recordings Act Buy continued to cut and ban films
This BBFC will always unfortunately be around - not as bad as they were....but still ludicrously laws and regulations
For example most films certified 18 are 18 but some are 15 and given 18 because of an 18 certificate trailer for some other film on extras
Madness ☠️

This BBFC will always unfortunately be around - not as bad as they were....but still ludicrously laws and regulations
For example most films certified 18 are 18 but some are 15 and given 18 because of an 18 certificate trailer for some other film on extras
Madness ☠️

That's...not madness at all. That's seems pretty logical.

Also, the BBFC don't have the power to ban anything. They can refuse a classification if they don't think it's legally releasable in that form, which I admit will likely have the same end result, but individual councils can grant a licence for film screening and films are regularly screened at film festivals without BBFC classification as a result.

That's...not madness at all. That's seems pretty logical.

Also, the BBFC don't have the power to ban anything. They can refuse a classification if they don't think it's legally releasable in that form, which I admit will likely have the same end result, but individual councils can grant a licence for film screening and films are regularly screened at film festivals without BBFC classification as a result.
Obviously we disagree
I know some councils overturn decisions from the BBFC but what I said about dumb 18 very film when they are 18 only because of contents
Treating individuals like kids
I read horror mags and virtually everyone agrees with me on this

they are 18 only because of contents
Treating individuals like kids
I disagree with you as well, for what it's worth. Trailers in cinemas are handpicked to not exceed the age rating of the film that they precede, so it follows that it's the responsibility of the distributor of the DVD/Blu-ray to choose age-appropriate trailers for their disc.

I disagree with you as well, for what it's worth. Trailers in cinemas are handpicked to not exceed the age rating of the film that they precede, so it follows that it's the responsibility of the distributor of the DVD/Blu-ray to choose age-appropriate trailers for their disc.

Indeed. And I can't think of a justification for including an 18-rated trailer on a release of a film with a lower age rating. When would that ever be necessary?

Indeed. And I can't think of a justification for including an 18-rated trailer on a release of a film with a lower age rating. When would that ever be necessary?
If the said person watching the movie is 17. By the time the movies comes out, they could be 18 :)

I can't think of a justification for including an 18-rated trailer on a release of a film with a lower age rating. When would that ever be necessary?
This topic has gotten me thinking about something that's kind of bugged me for a while. Manga's DVD release of 5 Centimeters per Second was a U certificate, yet the disc boots up with their old double-slash blood-spatter logo. 😬

I guess that wouldn't have been included with the video content they provided for classification.

I hardly think for example having an 18 cert trailer included on a 15 very film is not going to give 15 year olds nightmares
Other countries are more relaxed when it comes to this just one of many examples of the dumb BBFC
I remember when Time Bandits (PG) when first released on dvd I read the BBFC withdrew the dvd when they found out on commentary track someone says the F word
How many kids listen to a commentary track from beginning to end? If listen to it at all
I also read that when a 60’s black and white Dr Who was released on dvd in outtakes the S word is said
Once again no way do kids watch old stuff like this
They watch stuff on colour
This was mentioned in the censorship article in my horror mag

I also read that when a 60’s black and white Dr Who was released on dvd in outtakes the S word is said
There is a Doctor Who episode in which a man is tortured by having his hands crushed and you can clearly see his hands covered in blood, which was given a U certificate. My go to example of the BBFC's rather perculiar standards.

I hardly think for example having an 18 cert trailer included on a 15 very film is not going to give 15 year olds nightmares
Other countries are more relaxed when it comes to this just one of many examples of the dumb BBFC
I remember when Time Bandits (PG) when first released on dvd I read the BBFC withdrew the dvd when they found out on commentary track someone says the F word
How many kids listen to a commentary track from beginning to end? If listen to it at all
I think it makes perfect sense that any trailer shown should not exceed the age rating of the film it precedes. Not sure how it works in the UK, but don't trailers have their own age rating? Quite often trailers get a lower classification than their main work.

As for the other examples, I'm not sure what your point is exactly. The classifications aren't reflecting the target audience, so if old black and white shows or movies that kids wouldn't watch anyway get a higher classification, what's the problem? I'm not saying the system is perfect. In fact, it's inherently flawed in the sense that it's subjective and no matter the guidelines inconsistent or illogical classifications will always happen.

There is something to be said about making a distinction between the "main feature" and the extras. But that opens another can of worms. Do you provide two classifications or leave the extras unclassified? What qualifies as an "extra"? Since commentary tracks are often an audio track of the main feature (one remote press away), do they count as extra or not? What if you release a movie where you have the theatrical version as "main feature" and the director's cut as "extra"?
From that perspective, given that you want classifications and age ratings, I think taking everything into consideration is the best approach. Even if that means that a trailer or other insignificant extra could bump it up.

It seems a lot of you are pro BBFC
Oh well
The British Censors literally monitor everything on a dvd/blu ray
Commentaries, interviews, trailers - everything and film companies esp independent ones complain because they cost an arm and a leg to submit their films and extras
This isn’t the case elsewhere overall
Sure there is censorship in other countries and I’ve stated before that the BBFC are not as bad as they were esp the 80’s when virtually every horror was cut or banned
Also remember this
The government are the eyes and ears behind the Censors and politicians know damn all about films and pass on laws to the censors
But what is ironic is of a politician was asked that a hardcore sex scene was in a film which you could buy in HMV they would probably reply in saying the film should be sold in a sex shop
Another example o read about
An excellent book called The Seduction If The Gullible is a brilliant example of amongst other things at what we are allowed or not allowed to watch
I could go on
Over to you lot!
We all have our opinions hence the forums

Then why care? I know that boutique labels who are releasing old titles aren't caring what classifcation they get. Children are not their market.

If children are your market and you want a lower classification, you have complete freedom to not include what sounds like a superflous hypothetical extra. Becuase if this trailer is rated higher than the main feature, it's certainly not going to be a trailer for said feature. And what's the point in including trailers that aren't related? Other than to waste disc space.

Oh well
The British Censors literally monitor everything on a dvd/blu ray
Commentaries, interviews, trailers - everything and film companies esp independent ones complain because they cost an arm and a leg to submit their films and extras

This is not literally true. Most extras are exempt, as per the exemption criteria of "works which, taken as a whole, are designed to inform, educate or instruct". There are ways that this exemption is lost but there's pretty much no need for an interview or a documentary made up of interviews and suchlike to be classified.

Then why care? I know that boutique labels who are releasing old titles aren't caring what classifcation they get. Children are not their market.

If children are your market and you want a lower classification, you have complete freedom to not include what sounds like a superflous hypothetical extra. Becuase if this trailer is rated higher than the main feature, it's certainly not going to be a trailer for said feature. And what's the point in including trailers that aren't related? Other than to waste disc space.
The reason for trailers on dvds/blu rays is obviously to advertise other films on same label
You must know this is everywhere
It’s s a natural extra to have on the disc

Not sure if you were including me in that bracket, but if you were, perhaps you haven't read some of my previous posts on these forums. Though I will admit that my stance on the BBFC has rather softened since hearing the Paranoia Agent news that begins this thread.

But at the end of the day, my stance is simply this: I see no reason to turn the video market into an anything-goes free-for-all. I remember the days when video games had no age ratings on them, and there were calls for certain games (Splatterhouse II on the Sega Mega Drive comes to mind) to be banned for their content in order to prevent children from buying them. Age classification is therefore an effective way of avoiding the need for censorship. That applies as much to video as it does to games.

Back