The Anime Storage Discussion Thread

HWR

CCG’s Reaper
AUKN Staff
I had a thought about how a thread regarding anime storage where users could discuss how they store their collections and the best ways of doing so could be helpful. I’ll kick it off with my current storage musings.

I’ve been looking into my storage options recently in terms of anime titles that I don’t want to sell but could put elsewhere to make space, so looked to use the same stackable crates I’ve been using for other dvd and blu rays.

Sadly, said crates are too short to comfortably hold my anime CEs so I’m looking into how best to store them without stacking boxsets on top of each other and currently have this layout (excuse the bedspread pics):
087EAA6F-005C-4B35-953B-4E4681DBDBF8.jpeg
6F771BE9-2EEE-4144-8D4F-C7B2E0B43DC3.jpeg
I’ve found some crates of roughly the same size that are slightly taller so will be testing those in the week.

Last edited:
I've been considering doing a Youtube video about how to maximise storage space for your collection, but realistically I'll probably never get around to it, so I'll just infodump some of the main points here.

If you're using regular bookcases for storage, the first thing you learn is that you can fit more items in by stacking them vertically rather than having one horizontal row.
IMAG0139.jpg
If they're as tightly packed as the ones shown above, the main thing to remember is to leave enough room at the top of at least one stack for you to fit your hand in. It's easy to get overenthusiastic, fill them all to the top, and then find you can't get them back out again.

If you have longer shelves, and they're deep enough, then a couple of other configurations become possible.
IMAG0140.jpg
This wrap-around maximises the amount of items you can display while still being able to see the spines for all of them. Depending on the length of the shelves, access to some of the back stacks may be a bit awkward.

IMAG0141.jpg
This is more of a sliding block puzzle configuration. You can fit more items in than the wrap-around, but you can only see one rear stack at a time. However, you can easily access any of the rear stacks by sliding the front ones left or right. The important point for this one is having a smooth laminated surface on the shelves, otherwise the bottom item on the stack will get scraped.

If you collected TV series on DVD in the 00s, you probably have a lot of single volumes rather than box sets. For me, one of the big space-savers was when I bought a bunch of six-way DVD cases and moved all the individual volumes into them. The six-way case is the highest capacity I've found that retains the spine width of a standard single case, which allowed me to reuse the cover from the first volume of each series. If you look at the first photo I posted, you'll notice that some of the DVD spines have a round, green sticker. That's a reminder to myself that it contains the complete series instead of just the first volume. I then file away all the other covers.

The nuclear option for maximising disc storage would be something like these:

In that case you lose the covers altogether and just file away the discs in folders. I've considered this for some items, but haven't quite reached that point of desperation...yet.

In drawers, in boxes, in stacks, on shelves double stacked, discs taken out and in multi-leaf CD folders.

In reality I have my collection on a spreadsheet, at least that's what I peruse when looking for what to watch next. I don't look at the physical discs anymore, although I know where they are when I need to find them to watch.

There comes a point where physical storage for convenience becomes an impossiblity. That came for me back around 2005

I just use Billy bookcases with an extra shelf. They sell them either 28 or 40 cm deep. If you don't mind stacking layers of cases you could probably fit 3 layers of DVDs on 40 cm deep shelving unit.

I build and paint my own solid wood shelves from 1" lumber (sorry, I live in the US so everything is in imperial measurements, not metric) I purchase at a local home supply store. I prefer to build them from scratch because I can design the shelving to maximize storage space within the existing space I have in the environment. I first built two shelf units 36" x 72" using 6" lumber (5 1/2" deep shelves), which just fit Blu-rays and DVDs with slips and standard LE chipboard box sets right to the edge of the shelf, and then the more recent two 36" x 78" shelf units I built I used 8" lumber (7 1/2" deep shelves), which actually looks a little better having the anime recessed a little, and is deep enough even for larger items such as the Anime Limited Escaflowne Ultimate box set.

Each shelf unit has 8 shelves, and because the lumber is 3/4" thick solid wood rather than manufactured wood product, I can have each horizontal shelf span the entire width of the unit and not sag in the middle due to the weight of the media sitting on it. Manufactured shelving usually has multiple vertical risers creating a bunch of 12" wide cubby-holes because the shelf material cannot support nearly as much weight and would sag quite a bit across a 36" span. Although, just today I did purchase one of these manufactured shelf units, 40" x 72" with all the little cubbies, as I have no available work space to construct and paint a hand-made shelf unit right now in the winter time.

Here is a pic of my most recent pair of 8" deep scratch-built shelf units:

importfuniall.jpg

Last edited:
Eh? 😳
Kiseki released The Cockpit in the UK?? Why on Earth didn't I know that? 😧

(I know that's totally not the point of this thread or that photo, but...)
They released it on VHS and DVD. As you can see, some plank decided to bundle Leiji Matsumoto's masterpiece with that trashy Digital Devil OAV. Like all the other Kiseki DVDs, it's a crappy presentation of the master they used for the VHS release, complete with burnt-in subtitles. It actually looks worse than the VHS in some ways, due to damage that had occurred to the master tape in the years between the VHS and DVD releases. On the other hand it's one of the greatest anime of all time, with English subtitles, so I'm not complaining (too much).

Aha, nice to see I’m not the only one with storage concerns ;)

Coincidence or not, I was also contemplating on my storage space for BD’s/DVD’s as I’ve run out of shelf space some time ago, so some Ikea Billy bookcases now have double rows of cases, which doesn’t help at all to find something back. In the beginning when collecting* when you only have like 100 or so movies/tv-series shelf space is the furthest of your thoughts, well for me it was. That collecting movies/tv-series can get out of hand wasn’t either, but hey when you’ve gone over 5000 ... well you get the idea. It then starts to be a concern, there are only that much rooms in the house :D

So personally I was thinking of a more rigorous approach and actually go out a buy some DJ cases (is that the correct English word?, see photo) and then put the discs in there for movies I probably will not watch or re-watch in the foreseeable future. The cases would then be either sold or donated. Of course that only works for regular releases, which is fine by me as the special releases or Eureka/Criterion/Arrow releases would stay as they are and are great to put on display.

1801zzal500bk_a.jpg

*collecting; called that because one can‘t get it over his heart to sell even knowing they probably never watch it again ;)

Speaking of cardboard box storage for anime... since my anime collection is spreading to a fifth shelf unit now, I will need to vacate most of my remaining live-action movies, 3D movies, and live concert discs still stored on one of the shelf units to closet storage. I had found these DVD-sized cardboard boxes for a fairly inexpensive price on Amazon US a few years ago for my 800+ live action movie blu-rays, and they are still available; these are sized specifically for DVD, and each box is 24" x 7.5" x 6" so will hold 40-50 DVD or Blu-ray singles. I have some 24"-deep chrome wire rack shelving in the walk-in closet in my basement, so these 24" boxes, once filled and closed, will stack up on the shelves ends-facing-out quite nicely. Below is the Amazon US link for reference (perhaps a similar item is available on Amazon UK?) and a couple pics of some of my overflow anime sets stuffed into a few of the boxes temporarily until I get the new shelf unit installed...

(10) Cardboard DVD Work Boxes / Trays for DVDs in Cases

dvdstorageboxes1.jpg

dvdstorageboxes2.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve been looking into my storage options recently in terms of anime titles that I don’t want to sell but could put elsewhere to make space, so looked to use the same stackable crates I’ve been using for other dvd and blu rays.

Sadly, said crates are too short to comfortably hold my anime CEs so I’m looking into how best to store them without stacking boxsets on top of each other and currently have this layout (excuse the bedspread pics):
View attachment 16942
View attachment 16943
I’ve found some crates of roughly the same size that are slightly taller so will be testing those in the week.
if you're fine with storing under the bed i'd suggest a 70L really useful box, i was trying to figure out which ones to get to store the stuff i wanted to keep but because i'm starting to run out of room wanted to relegate somewhere else, i worked out it can hold roughly 150 spine up or 198 stacked cover up of BD/UHD/PS3/PS4 cases, there's also another box in their range that is the same dimensions but double the height but i think it was just a bit too tall to go under my bed so i limited it to the 70L being the highest i'd go

Speaking of cardboard box storage for anime... since my anime collection is spreading to a fifth shelf unit now, I will need to vacate most of my remaining live-action movies, 3D movies, and live concert discs still stored on one of the shelf units to closet storage. I had found these DVD-sized cardboard boxes for a fairly inexpensive price on Amazon US a few years ago for my 800+ live action movie blu-rays, and they are still available; these are sized specifically for DVD, and each box is 24" x 7.5" x 6" so will hold 40-50 DVD or Blu-ray singles. I have some 24"-deep chrome wire rack shelving in the walk-in closet in my basement, so these 24" boxes, once filled and closed, will stack up on the shelves ends-facing-out quite nicely. Below is the Amazon US link for reference (perhaps a similar item is available on Amazon UK?) and a couple pics of some of my overflow anime sets stuffed into a few of the boxes temporarily until I get the new shelf unit installed...

(10) Cardboard DVD Work Boxes / Trays for DVDs in Cases

dvdstorageboxes1.jpg

dvdstorageboxes2.jpg
i can't seem to find those sorts of boxes sold here but we do have a brand of high quality plastic boxes called really useful boxes which i think for a 50 DVD/BD case storage box is around £10-15, for your more western media stuff have you considered printing covers and sticking them in multi-disc cases? there's a custom cover thread on blu-ray.com and a lot of them are pretty decent in quality, also useful when the publisher only decides to release a digipak or in the case of WB with batman a funkopop pack and you just want to store the blu-rays on the shelf

The Cardboard storage boxes are specifically for my live action movie Blu-rays, but I'm actually wishing to get rid of the vast majority of them, as I really have very little interest whatsoever in them anymore - since 2013 I've pretty much exclusively watched anime, because I find so much of it way more engaging and thought-provoking than the majority of mindless Hollywood fodder. I haven't bought a single live action Blu-ray in almost 3 years, and for probably 3 years before that, I really struggled to find one half-decent Hollywood movie on Blu-ray per month to show at the Monthly Movie Nights I used to host in my movie theater to about 20 friends and neighbors. I'll mainly keep all my 3D Blurays, live concert Blu-rays and DVDs, the few TV series Blu-ray sets I own, and some of my most favorite scifi and fantasy type movies - but the rest of my movie Blu-rays really need to go, one way or another.

Last edited:
This is a great thread! I have a dedicated room for Blu/DVD but the manga is all over the house. I've been putting in new shelves and storage cubes recently and I have future proofed considerably but manga is always an issue. That's why I only collect the series I really love. I have archived a few series I'm not likely to read for a while in plastic storage tubs but all my discs are on display. A few months ago I started to log my discs on blu ray.com and was surprised to see the number count of how many I own was way more than I thought. I'm still not finished logging everything (particularly anime/Japanese cinema wise) sadly blu ray.com is still down at the moment so it might be a while.

I keep on saying this but really need to get some pics sorted out.

Edit: Wooo-hoo! Blu ray.com lives again!!!

Last edited:
Back