Asian Cinema Thread

It's a shame about the changes or, at least, it's a shame that Wong hasn't seen fit to include the original versions as alternative presentations. But it should come as no surprise, given his shenanigans with Ashes of Time (12 years ago now!). Nevertheless, the main attractions here for me are the films that he hasn't tinkered as much with - Days of Being Wild, Chungking Express, In the Mood for Love and 2046. Korean label Novamedia are supposed to be releasing the set in 4K UHD - they usually include English subtitles, so I'm waiting in hope for them.

91wd9KHUk5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Limited Edition packaging of Jackie Chan's The Young Master, featuring 3 different cuts of the film - the original Hong Kong cut, the International cut and the Extended cut. The packaging is a rigid slipcase with KUNG FU BOB's artwork, an 80-page book, double-sided foldout poster, and 6 replica lobby cards.

Update on The Young Master, specs revealed:

DISC 1
  • New 2K Remaster of the Hong Kong Theatrical Cut [106 minutes]
  • Restored from the original 35mm camera negative in 2.35:1 Aspect Ratio
  • Cantonese Mono Theatrical Mix
  • Cantonese Mono Home Video Mix
  • English 5.1 Dub [2002]
  • Newly remastered English subtitles
  • Audio Commentary with HK Cinema Expert Brandon 'OldPangYau' Bentley
  • Rick Baker on The Young Master
  • The Art of the Cut: Editing of The Young Master [21 mins]
  • Extended Fight Scenes: reconstructed and previously unavailable [6 mins]
  • "The Cut Master" A collection of rare deleted, extended, and alternate footage [13 mins]
  • [archive] Jackie Chan Interview [8 mins]
  • [archive] The Master: An Interview with master
  • Whang In Sik [28 mins]
  • NG (no good) shots [10 mins]
  • Hong Kong trailer
  • Extended Hong Kong trailer
  • Japanese trailer
  • US Home Video Trailer
  • English trailer
DISC 2
  • International Export Cut[90 minutes]
    • Restored especially for the 40th Anniversary of the film, this version was commissioned by Golden Harvest for audiences outside Asia
    • Contains the Classic English Dub and an alternate soundtrack featuring the song 'Kung Fu Fighting Man' performed in English by Jackie Chan
    • Audio Commentary with HK cinema aficionados & game producers Audi Sorlie & Chris Ling
  • Extended Export Cut [99 minutes]
    • Released exclusively in Japan on 21st March 1981 by Toho-Towa, this version is broadly similar to the export cut. Although shorter than the Hong Kong cut, this composite cut features the uncut final fight and ending from said Hong Kong cut; alternate scenes, also included in the 90 minute export cut and the full-length export English Dub with alternate soundtrack

New Jackie Chan blu ray coming from Cine-Asia in what I can only assume is an 'Ultra Ultimate Deluxe Super Premium Limited Collector's Edition' 😂

20201214_223024.jpg

I almost pre ordered but that extra 9p just seems a bit greedy.

It's been a while, but we have some more upcoming Asian releases for the UK in 2021.

January 2021:​

Date:Name:Director / Year:Format:Dist. / Audio:
18thJSA: Joint Security AreaPark Chan-Wook
Blu-rayArrow Video
Korean audio
with English subtitles
25thGamera: The Heisei Era:
Gamera: Guardian of the Universe
Gamera 2: Attack of Legion
Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris
Gamera the Brave
Shusuke Kaneko
1995-1999

Ryuta Tasaki
Blu-ray
re-release
Arrow Video
Japanese audio
with English dub
with English subtitles
25thGamera: The Showa Era:
Gamera, the Giant Monster
Gamera vs. Barugon
Gamera vs. Gyaos
Gamera vs. Viras
Gamera vs. Guiron
Gamera vs. Jiger
Gamera vs. Zigra
Gamera: Super Monster
Noriaki Yuasa
1965, 1967-1980

Shigeo Tanaka
Blu-ray
re-release
Arrow Video
Japanese audio
with English dub
with English subtitles
25thOldboyPark Chan-Wook
4K Ultra HDArrow Video
Korean audio
with English subtitles
25thThe Weird and Wonderful World of Ujicha:
Violence Voyager
Burning Buddha Man
Ujicha
2013-2018
Blu-rayThird Window Films
Japanese audio
with English subtitles
25thThe Young MasterJackie Chan
Blu-ray
limited edition
88 Films
Cantonese audio
with English dub
with English subtitles

February 2021:​

22ndGamera: The Heisei Era Trilogy:
Gamera: Guardian of the Universe
Gamera 2: Attack of Legion
Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris
Shusuke Kaneko
1995-1999
Blu-ray
steelbook
Arrow Video
Japanese audio
with English dub
with English subtitles
22ndShogun’s Joy of TortureTeruo Ishii
Blu-rayArrow Video
Japanese audio
with English subtitles

March 2021:​

8thKagemushaAkira Kurosawa
Blu-rayCriterion
Japanese audio
with English subtitles
15thThe Invisible Man Appears
The Invisible Man vs. The Human Fly
Nobuo Adachi

Mitsuo Murayama
Blu-rayArrow Video
Japanese audio
with English subtitles
22ndThe Lucky Stars Collection:
Winners and Sinners
My Lucky Stars
Twinkle, Twinkle Lucky Stars
Sammo Hung
1983-1985
Blu-rayEureka Classics
Cantonese audio
with English dub
with English subtitles
29thSnake in the Eagle’s ShadowYuen Woo-ping
Blu-ray
limited edition
88 Films
Cantonese audio
with English dub
with English subtitles

Coming Soon, Licensed & Not Yet Scheduled:​

Name:Director / Year:Format:Dist. / Audio:
Pink Films Vol. 5 & 6:
Women Hell Song
Underwater Love
Watanabe Mamoru

Shinji Imaoka
Japanese audio
with English subtitles
Tezuka’s BarbaraMacoto Tezka
Japanese audio
with English subtitles
World of Wong Kar Wai:
As Tears Go By
Days of Being Wild
Chungking Express
Fallen Angels
Happy Together
In the Mood for Love

Wong Kar Wai
1988-2004
Blu-rayCriterion
Cantonese audio
with English subtitles

Theres also Vanguard coming Jan 11th from Cine Asia.
Guessing JC was unavailable for hand deliveries due to Covid restrictions... but anyone crazy enough to order it after the reviews (like me) can find it for £12.99 on HMV 😉
Also now has artwork.
20201226_181122.jpg

Theres also Vanguard coming Jan 11th from Cine Asia.
Guessing JC was unavailable for hand deliveries due to Covid restrictions... but anyone crazy enough to order it after the reviews (like me) can find it for £12.99 on HMV 😉
Also now has artwork.
Never mind! Just got an email saying Vanguard has been delayed until the 25th Jan 😂 good to see its not just the anime industry hit by last min delays!!

Great to see the Lucky Stars being released. I'll try to cancel my order of the South Korean release I made May 8th and which still hasn't shipped. Seems shipping from South Korea is still an issue.

Following up on my own message here. Finally got my payment back from Kimchidvd after a month mailing back and forth. Oh boy was this ever a bad experience getting a refund for this one, seemed like they kept me hanging for ages until they finally caved and provided the refund as they still seems unable to ship to Belgium. I had great experiences with Kimchidvd for years, but this last ordeal makes me weary to ever order from that shop again.

On the other hand I finally got the South Korean editions of My Sassy Girl and JSA (yeah I know, Arrow) after ordering these back in May, where the eBay seller found a courier willing to ship to Belgium. So yeah between May 2020 and now Arrow had announced it would release JSA, and you I wouldn't be surprised if an Euro release of My Sassy Girl will happen rather sooner or later ... just my guess :)

New update on The Young Master. The set has been delayed to 22nd February 2021, and the pre-order date on 88 Films' website also got pushed back so it's now available commencing 8th February.

There has been a delay but 22nd of February is definitely it now!

Pre-order date will be approx 8th Feb.

Thanks for your patience, hopefully you appreciate all the work thats gone into it.

New update on The Young Master. The set has been delayed to 22nd February 2021, and the pre-order date on 88 Films' website also got pushed back so it's now available commencing 8th February.
Was somewhat expecting this when they removed the preorder date on their site.

Wheres the quote from? Haven't seen them post anything on twitter yet.
To be honest their social media is in desperate need of someone who knows how to respond and post news/updates instead of just retweeting other people 🤦‍♂️

Was somewhat expecting this when they removed the preorder date on their site.

Wheres the quote from? Haven't seen them post anything on twitter yet.
To be honest their social media is in desperate need of someone who knows how to respond and post news/updates instead of just retweeting other people 🤦‍♂️
It was via the 88 Films Young Master thread on the Blu-ray forums, the people that work on these 88 Asia sets are pretty active on the UK sub-forum.

88 Films have updated their rewards system to now be 100 points is £1 off upto £50.

Not sure if it was intentional but they also opened preorders for The Young Master despite saying it would be 8th Feb!

88 Films have updated their rewards system to now be 100 points is £1 off upto £50.

Not sure if it was intentional but they also opened preorders for The Young Master despite saying it would be 8th Feb!
Now that's even better, as the original reward was 10% off at 500 points. Just pre-ordered it at £19.99!

Back