Hello anime lovers!

Geriatric hedgehog

Pokémon Master
Hi all,

I joined this as my first forum ever after coming across the excellent Christmas sales thread whilst trying to work out the contents of the AL mystery box (which was promptly sold out by the time I got online!).

I'm at the older end at 38, having always loved anime before even realising the difference from Western animation. Having grown up in the middle East I had very limited exposure to them, but still have happy memories watching voltran as a kid (I refuse to dash them by trying to re-watch that now heh). Still got my fill of Japanese imagination and storytelling through video games and RPGs. More recently have truly gotten back into anime over the last year or so.

My favourites going back would be evangelion and ghost in the shell, with newer additions being your lie in April, toradora, monogatari (with its caveats!), From the new world and probably almost anything from Satoshi Jon, Masaaki Yuasa, Naoko Yamada & Mari Okada. Have built up a burgeoning collection now thanks to some great reviews on your site & ANN (including US imports I have no device for watching on yet!). Also started reading some manga and my current favourites are from Tsutomu Nihei, the older work in particular is Blame! & Biomega.

Apologies, despite being a social media hikikomori, I have a habit of rambling so will stop now.

Thanks everyone and I'm totally with you Neil.T on tatami galaxy, Kon (whom my phone's autocorrect clearly insists is Jon...) and evangelion. Also great to have contemporaries who don't go "huh? Japanese cartoons?" when I bring up anime heh. Surprisingly or not, I've not seen any of Anno's non Eva stuff but have recently bought gunbuster & diebuster (thanks eBay, sorry wallet) and am looking forward to watching those. Also got His & her circumstances but that's on hold until I either 1. get myself a us blu ray/dvd player, or 2. Get one of those multi region players off of Amazon or 3. eventually get my hands on a ps5 next year after the furore dies down and switch my PS4 to region US! Think I'll wait for option 3 heh.

I've not seen any of Anno's non Eva stuff but have recently bought gunbuster & diebuster
I notice that you spotted the thread for the Serial Experiments Lain/Satoshi Kon simulwatch, dude. Talking of Anno, we actually did one for Gunbuster...

... Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water...

... and for Neon Genesis Evangelion as well:

There was also one for Kon's Paranoia Agent:

Our little group of @WMD, @Professor Irony and myself are always open to ideas of what would make a good simulwatch. There's a thread for that, too, if you'd be interested in a look:

You mentioned Diebuster and, freakishly, I ordered a second-hand copy of the old UK Beez Entertainment DVD just the other day. I'll look forward to seeing that.

I hope you'll enjoy Gunbuster. I know that I for one would be interested in reading your thoughts on it if you'd like to add them to its simulwatch thread. 🙂

I notice that you spotted the thread for the Serial Experiments Lain/Satoshi Kon simulwatch, dude. Talking of Anno, we actually did one for Gunbuster...

... Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water...

... and for Neon Genesis Evangelion as well:

There was also one for Kon's Paranoia Agent:

Our little group of @WMD, @Professor Irony and myself are always open to ideas of what would make a good simulwatch. There's a thread for that, too, if you'd be interested in a look:

You mentioned Diebuster and, freakishly, I ordered a second-hand copy of the old UK Beez Entertainment DVD just the other day. I'll look forward to seeing that.

I hope you'll enjoy Gunbuster. I know that I for one would be interested in reading your thoughts on it if you'd like to add them to its simulwatch thread. 🙂
That's fantastic, thank you so much. Watching Lain, I couldn't help but thinking of Eva, more so than ghost in the shell which I think it shares more if the core concepts with...

Now I can read as I go along when I eventually rewatch all of Evangelion in preparation of the final rebuild movie's release (which may be a while still in UK but fingers very much crossed for screenanime bringing that and the final heaven's feel (and third eureka seven hi evolution! I'm not greedy at all) movies to us in UK soon-ish!). Will happily cure some insomnia on the thread with my drivel after watching gunbuster heheh, and it certainly sounds right up my street so really looking forward to it.

I'd added diebuster to the list though clearly not Anno's work but following on from his and what I've read on it has been positive if memory serves me well (I think I got a US import for the latter but thankfully it works on my PS4). Unfortunately I'd forgotten all about Nadia and don't have that but will now be adding to my shopping list!

Great stuff, will try and think of suggestions for future marathons. Thanks again dude!

You're welcome, buddy. 😉

Have you seen the opening 10 minutes of the final Eva Rebuild film that were previewed officially last year? It's one of the most exciting and imaginative pieces of animation I've ever seen. The trailers so far have shown some really interesting things, too, so I'm massively looking forward to it. I'll cross my fingers along with you for a Screen Anime showing (along with one at Scotland Loves Anime 2021 as well). 🤞

For what it's worth, I can see the Lain/Eva existential overlap too, by the way, being a big fan of both.

You're welcome, buddy. 😉

Have you seen the opening 10 minutes of the final Eva Rebuild film that were previewed officially last year? It's one of the most exciting and imaginative pieces of animation I've ever seen. The trailers so far have shown some really interesting things, too, so I'm massively looking forward to it. I'll cross my fingers along with you for a Screen Anime showing (along with one at Scotland Loves Anime 2021 as well). 🤞

For what it's worth, I can see the Lain/Eva existential overlap too, by the way, being a big fan of both.
I most certainly have, nothing better to get one excited for the main event eh? To say that I can't wait would be a massive understatement - watching every little trailer and teaser with great anticipation. Most recently read the bit on Hikaru Utada doing the main track which I couldn't find on YouTube so went back to listening to Beautiful World on repeat heheh. Did I say I can't wait already?

Speaking of Lain, I had a couple in my list to watch from the same creator, if I'm not mistaken, including texhnolyze and haibane renmei. Bought the latter and yet to watch but the former seems hard to get - worth spending the dosh on if available you think? Also looking at the paranoia memories thread, I really need to get memories off cex or somewhere - magnetic rose has been on my list to watch after reading very cryptic, but positive things about it heh.

From HWR's great mention, I'm going to try and watch Tokyo Godfathers now after having convinced wifey to watch anime with me (manage that once in a blue moon heh), even though suspiciously she keeps delaying the inevitable start! Hope you all have great marathons planned for the holiday season at your end too.

Speaking of Lain, I had a couple in my list to watch from the same creator, if I'm not mistaken, including texhnolyze and haibane renmei. Bought the latter and yet to watch but the former seems hard to get - worth spending the dosh on if available you think?
@Neil.T isnt really a fan of Texhnolyze but I think it's amazing. It's a slow burn of a show and isnt always the easiest thing to watch but it has some crazy twists and turns. For me the overall experience of the show is totally worth it. The animation is amazing and it leaves you with a lot to think about.

Yeah, as @WMD said, I never got into Texhnolyze at all, but I love Haibane Renmei. I've only seen it the once so far myself, so perhaps a contender for a simulwatch at some point?

I've got the old Animax DVD of Memories, and it was actually CEX that I bought it from some years ago. It's really worth seeing, in my view. I think @WMD has the more recent Australian BD of it? Not sure how much it would cost to import versus the £6 plus £1.95 postage on CEX.

I've got the old Animax DVD of Memories, and it was actually CEX that I bought it from some years ago. It's really worth seeing, in my view. I think @WMD has the more recent Australian BD of it? Not sure how much it would cost to import versus the £6 plus £1.95 postage on CEX.
Yeah I got the blu ray version. I got it new for £21 from United Publications.

Texhnolyze certainly sounds interesting, let's see if I can nab a set at a good price at some point.

Would definitely be up for a simulwatch of haibane having not seen it yet. It would be an excuse to bump it up my ever expanding watchlist with which I'm always torn between carrying on or revisiting some favourites heh.

CEX it will be for memories for me, should order it before it's out of stock again..

Katsuhiro Otomo Memories", which is currently in stock and is £6.
Awesome, thank you! Now ordered whilst in stock heh. Saw the two on there and was wondering what the difference was but happy to just get a copy.

I would recommend both Texhnoloyze and Haibane Renmei, though I didn't like either quite as much as SE Lain :) Welcome to the forums! :)
Thank you! Lain was certainly special but still excited about watching haibane eventually, which I bought earlier this year. Texhnolyze in the shopping list for when I can find one for sale at a not completely extortionate price heh.

Screenshot_20201225-114002_Chrome.jpg

The EVA excitement continues!!!

Here's another thread for you, buddy:

😉
Brilliant, thank you very much. I am, however, starting to have concerns about addiction to these threads after the holiday period heh.

Hello, sir hedgehog, and welcome to the forums. Looking at your first post, and your age, you seem to be interested in the more maturely-written stories in anime, just as I am. I live in the US, and I am even farther towards the older end of anime viewing; I'll be 60 this year, and a die-hard anime fan for only the last 10 years, my two daughters getting me into anime when they were in their early/mid teens. Now I don't even watch live action movies anymore, I find Japanese anime to be far more engaging than most of the crap Hollywood puts out anymore.

I like a good, serious action/drama anime, and dark or psychological is a plus. So if you haven't yet seen any of these, I would definitely recommend them, some of my favorites - Psycho Pass, Ajin, Noir, Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom, Jormungand, Black Lagoon, Appleseed, Darker than Black, Gunslinger Girl, Ergo Proxy, Rahxephon, Monster, Space Battleship Yamato 2199, Death Parade, Eden of the East, Blood+, FMA: Brotherhood, Flag, From the New World, Now and Then Here and There, and Gargantia on the Verduous Planet. That's enough for now, those should keep you busy for a while, lol. Keep having fun with your anime hobby!

Back