Overseas UK Blu-Ray List / Australian Blu-ray List / USA Region B and Geolocked List

July's UK blu ray releases added
They will be removed if release dates are put back

Black Clover Season 1
Black Clover Season 2, Part 3
Bungo Stray Dogs Season 1,2 & OVA
Fairy Tail Collection 3
Fate/Stay Night: Heaven’s Feel – II. Lost Butterfly
Ground Control to Psychoelectric Girl
Magic Knight Rayearth: Part 1
MEGALOBOX
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans: Part 1
Mob Psycho 100 II
Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse
Revolutionary Girl Utena complete series
Rising of the Shield Hero: Season 1
Star Blazers: Space Battleship Yamato 2202: Part1

July's Australian blu ray releases added
They will be removed if release dates are put back

Ao-Chan Can't Study!
Boruto: Naruto Next Generations Part 5
Date a Live III Season 3
Promare
Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai
Snow White with the Red Hair Complete Series
Sword Art Online Alicization Part 1

I was looking over at the "Anime Blu-ray (UK Releases)" thread on blu-ray.com and saw that people were mentioning that at least some of the City Hunter Discotek releases works on region B players. Anyone got more info about this? One user there also mentioned something about having "a couple" of Discotek releases that worked on their region B blu-ray and while that might just be that they got Night on the Galactic Railroad, Robot Carnival and possible one more, it would still be nice if someone got more info on this since I was under the impression (not only based on this thread but from what I gleaned from other places as well) that only Night on the Galactic Railroad and Robot Carnival works on region B players. Since Discotek got some really unique releases more info would be most welcome!

Also while I am at it, one year or so ago (more specifically around mid to end of July) when I browsed through the Madman catalogue I was fairly certain I saw Wandering Son there somewhere. A couple of months later (say, perhaps, in October) I tried to find it again but failed. Indeed, I haven't been able to get hold of any info about any English Blu-ray releases at all. As such I'm now convinced it was just my memory playing tricks on me and that I couldn't possibly have seen it, but to get one final confirmation that I didn't actually see it I ask you whether Madman (or any region A/B) company ever released it? It has been bugging me more or less ever since then.

I was looking over at the "Anime Blu-ray (UK Releases)" thread on blu-ray.com and saw that people were mentioning that at least some of the City Hunter Discotek releases works on region B players. Anyone got more info about this? One user there also mentioned something about having "a couple" of Discotek releases that worked on their region B blu-ray and while that might just be that they got Night on the Galactic Railroad, Robot Carnival and possible one more, it would still be nice if someone got more info on this since I was under the impression (not only based on this thread but from what I gleaned from other places as well) that only Night on the Galactic Railroad and Robot Carnival works on region B players. Since Discotek got some really unique releases more info would be most welcome!

Also while I am at it, one year or so ago (more specifically around mid to end of July) when I browsed through the Madman catalogue I was fairly certain I saw Wandering Son there somewhere. A couple of months later (say, perhaps, in October) I tried to find it again but failed. Indeed, I haven't been able to get hold of any info about any English Blu-ray releases at all. As such I'm now convinced it was just my memory playing tricks on me and that I couldn't possibly have seen it, but to get one final confirmation that I didn't actually see it I ask you whether Madman (or any region A/B) company ever released it? It has been bugging me more or less ever since then.

Wandering Son to my knowledge has no official English release since the license belongs to Aniplex, though is still available to stream on Crunchyroll. I think it may have had a DVD release in Australia but I can't recall when.

Fun trivia: I am also the same user who pops around on the Blu-ray forum, hello.

Wandering Son to my knowledge has no official English release since the license belongs to Aniplex, though is still available to stream on Crunchyroll. I think it may have had a DVD release in Australia but I can't recall when.

I thought so. Must have mixed the image of looking through something on MAL with Madman's website. While I openly admit that I know nothing about license related stuff (as you implied that Aniplex stuff doesn't get English releases, if I am not getting it wrong?) but considering all the "forced diversity / woke / [insert similar word]" accusations thrown towards the west in some anime circles it is rather ironic that the anime which ticks most of the boxes when it comes to social awareness of such nature haven't got a physical English release 😄

Fun trivia: I am also the same user who pops around on the Blu-ray forum, hello.

Yeah, I just checked that thread by going through the link posted in the AL thread. Those comments caught my attention.

Justin confirmed on twitter that the City hunter Series BDS are region A/B

but yea aside from robot im not sure what other BDs of theres blong in that category ? @NormanicGrav
City Hunter Season 1 parts 1 and 2 are A/B, they work perfectly on my UK player
Not sure of any other Discotek titles that are though, I own quite a few but rarely try them on UK player, usually only on the multi region (which is always set to A)

Can confirm that:

Clannad Steelbook plays on a region B player.
Sora No Woto is region locked to region A.

If you are playing your discs from your computer, you might also want to consider giving AnyDVD a try, as this software successfully allowed me to read Sora No Woto from my region B player, no hiccups.
Clannad uses the same disks as the steelbook version.
Have you checked out the first page?

Clannad uses the same disks as the steelbook version.
Have you checked out the first page?

Yes I have. Unless I'm mistaken it lists Clannad as Geo-locked, and I managed to play the discs from the Steelbook just fine here in Europe, which is why I thought I'd report my findings. Apologies if my understanding is not correct. 🥺

PS: I'm talking about the newest Steelbook from Rightstuf, if it helps.

Yes I have. Unless I'm mistaken it lists Clannad as Geo-locked, and I managed to play the discs from the Steelbook just fine here in Europe, which is why I thought I'd report my findings. Apologies if my understanding is not correct. 🥺

PS: I'm talking about the newest Steelbook from Rightstuf, if it helps.
The problem is unless someone has a Geo-locked player it's very difficult to confirm if all new sentai titles are all region B now or still Geo-locked. So it's easier to state Geo-locked.
I haven't heard any Geo-locked titles lately even being region locked, so I'm pretty sure there all region B now.

I've been checking out some region A/B and Geo-locked releases which have caught my interest while going through the list here (this thread has been so helpful, I'm really grateful for the work put into it) and I see some of them being "SD on Blu-ray" releases. Are those releases really worth the money or is getting the DVD alternatives more cost-effective (in case such alternatives are available)? Read that the big difference is that the sound could potentially have been improved and that they have longer shelf life, but that's about it. Anyone got experience with them?

I've been checking out some region A/B and Geo-locked releases which have caught my interest while going through the list here (this thread has been so helpful, I'm really grateful for the work put into it) and I see some of them being "SD on Blu-ray" releases. Are those releases really worth the money or is getting the DVD alternatives more cost-effective (in case such alternatives are available)? Read that the big difference is that the sound could potentially have been improved and that they have longer shelf life, but that's about it. Anyone got experience with them?
At first the concept sounds weird and out of place, but in the end, SD on Blu-ray (Standard Definition on Blu-ray) has proven to be a beneficial outcome for a number of releases as you've mostly pointed out the main differences.
  • Long-running shows can take up a lot of discs and be expensive to release as a result. SD BD offers a solution, for instance Fist of the North Star would usually take up 21 DVD discs, is now on 3 Blu-ray discs thanks to the SD BD treatment.
  • Audio and Subtitles are improved if possible, the latter tends to get the better outcome as the visibility on BD is better than DVD.
  • SD BD is much cheaper to acquire for your collection and is very shelf-friendly.
  • The transfer depends on the source, but a number of DVD releases in the past have been hit or miss. SD BD does its best to make it look as good as possible despite not being in HD. Sometimes Discotek may opt for a SD BD instead of an upscale due to the source but that can come down to preference. I believe it all comes down to the encoding and whoever works on it, because if you do it wrong it can turn out worse than the DVDs which is what Sentai Filmworks & Maiden Japan have done.
Basically at this moment, I currently only recommend the SD on Blu-ray releases conducted by Discotek Media because they have proven to author the anime releases at the best possible outcome. So far here's the list of SD BDs which are Region A only from Discotek:
  • Astroganger
  • Beyblade
  • Beyblade G-Revolution
  • Beyblade V-Force
  • Blue Seed
  • BoBoBo-Bo Bo-BoBo
  • Cat Girl Nuku Nuku
  • Combattler V
  • Cyborg 009: The Cyborg Soldier
  • Dinosaur King Season 1
  • Dinosaur King Season 2
  • EAT-MAN
  • Elemental Gelade
  • Fist of the North Star
  • God Mars
  • God Mazinger
  • Great Mazinger
  • The Law Of Ueki
  • Marmalade Boy
  • Medabots Season 1
  • Medabots Season 2
  • Megabeast Investigator Juspion (Live-Action series)
  • Message From Space Galactic Wars (Live-Action series)
  • Monster Rancher
  • NG Knight Lamune & 40
  • Psycho Armor Govarian
  • Reborn! Volume 1
  • Reborn! Volume 2
  • Samurai Pizza Cats
  • Sonic X
  • Sorcerer Hunters
  • Star Fleet X-Bomber
  • Star Ocean EX
  • Tetsujin 28
  • The Wonderful Adventures Of Nils Holgersson
  • The Wonderful Wizard Of Oz (English Version)
  • The Wonderful Wizard Of Oz (Japanese Version)
  • Tokyo Underground
  • Voltes V
  • VS Knight Lamune & 40

Basically at this moment, I currently only recommend the SD on Blu-ray releases conducted by Discotek Media because they have proven to author the anime releases at the best possible outcome. So far here's the list of SD BDs which are Region A only from Discotek:

Ah, bummer. I don't get Region A stuff unless they're Region A/B, so nearly all Discotek stuff is out the window. Besides SD on Blu-ray doesn't sound all that enticing at the end of the day so I think I pass on those I'm interested in (or get a cheap pre-owned DVD instead if possible). Those I was looking into would be blind buys and nothing I'm dying to get anyway. Saves me some money for other purchases I'm more passionate about!

Thanks for the info though, I truly appreciates it :)

Afaik these early KSM BDs (incl Naruto) are very cheap upscales and not 576i.
Yu-Gi-Oh! and Super Kickers 2006 from KSM are 576i, however the later is botchered due to MPEG2 with low bitrate.
Nipponart has released Solty Rei and Soul Taker on SD BD in 576i. (The later is missing jap audio for one episode)

Note: None of these releases is English friendly

Afaik these early KSM BDs (incl Naruto) are very cheap upscales and not 576i.
Yu-Gi-Oh! and Super Kickers 2006 from KSM are 576i, however the later is botchered due to MPEG2 with low bitrate.
Nipponart has released Solty Rei and Soul Taker on SD BD in 576i. (The later is missing jap audio for one episode)

Note: None of these releases is English friendly

Oh, Soul Taker is a Shinbou show right? That would certainly be worth a blind buy even as a SD Blu-ray, but sadly my German is quite horrible and would barely qualify even as beginner level. So those releases is unfortunately out the window as well.. As you seem knowledgeable about German stuff, what Blu-rays from there is English friendly (if any)?

Back