Get in the Other Simulwatch - RahXephon! [ep26-22/05]

Episodes 4-5

A667FCF8-EB89-42EC-80A8-3379B0C3C9E2.jpeg

Just shut up and help me find my contact lens.

There’s some nice attention to small details going on here. I liked that after Haruka turned up with a bruised face following her confrontation with Elvy, her face was later shown to be bruised too - Haruka clearly gives as good as she gets. Her watch showing the parallel timelines elapsing is a nice touch too, although I was a bit thrown by the Japanese date putting the year first!

It’s interesting to see the contrast between Ayato’s new home life and Shinji’s experience of it too. Even if he struggles to adjust, Ayato seems to get a much warmer, more understanding welcome than Shinji ever did.

I do feel like the show can maybe flip from being serious into something more idyllic a little too quickly though. Considering that Elvy appears to see Haruka as somewhat responsible for the deaths of her (notably unseen) squadmates, the two of them being on good enough terms to go out drinking like that came as a bit of a surprise,

Episode 6

An interesting episode that starts to question characters motivations. Who can be trusted? The doctor seems pretty shady or at least has his own mysterious agenda separate from Terra. The young deputy in charge is just trying not to make a hash of things. The commander and chief are publically trying to keep secrets. And in the middle we have Kim and Ayato who are both wearing their hearts on their sleeve. I like how they go from not being able to understand or appreciate each other to finding a respectful middle ground.

Kim is a pretty tragic character and though revenge may seem a touch one dimensional we get to see other sides to her like her intelligence in working out where the D1 will strike next. I love how it's to do with the voice of the D1 and the aria it sings. The songs describes where it's been and hence where its future must be!

Ayatos awe at learning how many people died and the way he ponders the scale of humanity is pretty weird. He seems almost gleeful. No wonder Kim lashes out at him. Even if no I knew personally had been a victim I'd still have been pretty angry at him then! It seems a bit weird his decision to fight is made off camera and later stating it's just because he can feels a touch weak after how against it he was. Otherwise the scene between him and Kim at the end is pretty touching.

Episode 7

I am enjoying the reporter character. He seem trustworthy but hes certainly playing the game (literally at one point). Its going to be interesting to see what effect he has on Ayato as he certainly seems interesting in his situation.

The dialogue was certainly good this epsiode. Lots of conversations with multiple possible meanings. I liked when the Drs assistant chided his description of Ayatos situation saying he was bringing spiteful. Also Elvy being more straightforward about it pointing out how pitiful they are for making a kidnapped child fight for them.

Something I found interesting was how Ayatos determination in the fight wasnt so much shown as brave as kind of manic and insane. The way he reverts back to super calm immediately after is kind of scary in it's own way. Hes so bottled up at the moment but when he cracks it all comes out!

Episodes 6 & 7

I liked Kim's story in Episode 6 and I too liked the way she figured out the D-1's pattern. My only gripe with this episode is that Ayato seemed to change his attitude a quick too quickly for me.

In episode 7 I liked the way the reporter was used to poke into what's going on and how Watari, despite his very serious look, can switch personality to get along and influence those around him. A great action scene and it's obvious his friends in Tokyo Jupiter still mean a lot to him.

I said this for episode 1 but watching a bit more I've got to say it again that I do really like the artwork in this series, it look soo nice especially for a TV serial.

Episodes 6 & 7

I liked Kim's story in Episode 6 and I too liked the way she figured out the D-1's pattern. My only gripe with this episode is that Ayato seemed to change his attitude a quick too quickly for me.

In episode 7 I liked the way the reporter was used to poke into what's going on and how Watari, despite his very serious look, can switch personality to get along and influence those around him. A great action scene and it's obvious his friends in Tokyo Jupiter still mean a lot to him.

I said this for episode 1 but watching a bit more I've got to say it again that I do really like the artwork in this series, it look soo nice especially for a TV serial.
Yeah Watari was a lot of fun!

Also yeah the art and designs in this show are top notch!

Episode 8

Ah, the obligatory beach episode! There's a lot going on in this episode with a number of characters vying for affection from others which sets up potential conflicts, Itsuki experimenting with things he doesn't fully understand (and risking his assistant/girlfriend in the process). I got an Eva vibe during the battle and Ayato not willing to sacrifice Sayako and being challenged that the mission is more important than one person. Plus some hints of some from Harukas past. Another good episode.

Episodes 7 and 8
Had this suspicion that the god of cubes Yutaka Nakamura worked on episode 7 and I was right. His work is pretty easy to identify. Seems he also worked on some future episodes so I look forward to more of the good cubes. Animation has been great so far.

Gotta agree the design work has been fantastic as well. The super robot aesthetic is done so well here with the more mystical appearance of the RahXephon and the Dolems.

Wasn't expecting a beach episode in RahXephon of all series. At least they saved some time by making it a Christmas episode which established more character relations. The new reporter character has been pretty interesting so far. Wonder how he'll affect the story.

Episodes 6-8

Untitled_Artwork.jpg

Stand Name: Ice Ice Baby

My memory of the series is that I was never quite as enamoured with the general aesthetic of RahXephon as Evangelion, which is still true I suppose, but it has rather grown on me. Perhaps I just needed time to get a better appreciation of toku and super robot things in general, but there is something creepily appealing about the dolems' design; they're quite mythological somehow, like classical statues of terrible gods.

The reporter is quite a fun addition as well - I briefly thought he might have same VA as Jigen in the Lupin series (he even looks a bit like Jigen when he pulls his hat over his eyes), but sadly not the case.

My only real complaint is that I think the series doesn't muster up as much tension as I would expect or like it to during the more dramatic moments. No-one seems unduly concerned about Ayato slipping into phase-space, the business of Ayato offending Kim is resolved very quickly and, as orgun pointed out, Ayato seems to change his mind about piloting the RahXephon very quickly, considering that he has a pretty reasonable motivation for not doing it. Heck, Elvy even comments about Terra relying on a child they've kidnapped to fight their battles for them...

While I'd have assumed it might have been a little more, I think we must be coming up for the limit of how much of RahXephon I'd actually seen before, so I'm still curious to see where they'll go with it.

Episodes 8 & 9

It was notable that both episodes started with some beachy fan service then diverged into 2 wildly different episodes.

Episode 8 essentially becomes a monster of the week with the twist that Sayako is trapped inside the Dolem. It's been described pretty well by everyone but I wanted to note the image of Sayako crying blood which was a very striking image! Also the Dr really is fulfilling the role of mad scientist!

Episode 9 was really interesting. It's a pretty on the nose story for Ayato. He felt lonely and longs for home. Is lead astray by home and almost falls into despair but is brought back by Harukas voice (song). I have a theory POSSIBLE SPOILER that the two were childhood friends and Ayato doesnt remember which is why Haruka is so obsessed. Quons story is more cryptic and adds to the general weirdness of her character.

The Earth Federation guy is so creepy and manipulating! I really want him to get some comeuppance.

Also Harukas get up when spring cleaning was very Nu Metal. She looked like she came from a Limp Bizkit video!

Episode 9

The plot continues to thicken as more cryptic details are drip fed in and the episode ends with a devious new alliance!

A third of the way through (already!!!!) and some of my criticisms are that I have to agree with Prof that it doesn't build tension as well as Eva does and that some of the character conflicts are resolved a bit too quickly and easily.

Still haven't had a chance to catch up, only viewed the first 3 eps so far. Sigh, I do want to see more - Hopefully I should have some free time tonight.

Episode 10

Really liked the way this epsiode delved into the past and current state of mind of Commander Jin Kunugi. He wasnt a character I was expecting to get a backstory yet alone him being responsible for so much death and tragedy in the initial war! The grumpy sterness we've seen until now has taken on a whole new melancholic feel as we see hes wrestling with his grief. Not just his actions but that it lead to the loss of his daughter. All this being framed by a lonely melody written by his daughter and that Quon cant work out how to finish is really sad. That he obtains the final page of the sheet music at the end is kind of bittersweet but still a little hopeful!

Again, after starting with some successful action, this episode took a slower more contemplative tone. Again the reporter was highly enjoyable to watch. He always seems to know more than hes letting on doesnt he!

Episode 10

Another episode that despite being low on action gives us a load more depth to the characters and I really liked how they delved into Kunugi's backstory and how the reporter continues to poke around in his own way, he certainly knows a lot of pieces of what's going on and is starting to connect them up.

Epsiode 11

This episode goes full trippy Evangelion! I really liked that even though Ayato is being presented with what he desires: His longing to be back in Tokyo, ultimately the show presents this as horror movie. The music is eerie, others actions are just a little off and throughout images and motifs of Mishima appear which terrify Ayato!

It was also interesting, with how music is integral to the shows identity, that it's his painting that starts to snap Ayato back to reality while his mother speaks of him of becoming a musician, the instrumentalist of the Rahxaphon. But she is lying of course! She wants to control him and his voice which is nicely depicted when we see Mishima pull the rod controlling Ayato out through his mouth. As he regains his voice a curtain rises and he is finally able to remake contact with Terra!

Episode 11

I love how eerie is this episode this and the images of Dolem slowly getting closer in flashes still creeps me out. Ayato has maybe won his first personal psychological battle against his mum. More talk about Ayato 'tuning' the significance of which we're still still to fully understand at this point.

Episodes 10 and 11
Really appreciated episode 10's focus on Kunugi. Puts new context to his personality seen in earlier episodes.

Episode 11 went full Evangelion and I loved it. Definitely felt inspired by Eva's more psychological introspective episodes. A lot of unease conveyed through this nightmare sequence making for a real haunting watch. Very interesting just how much music ties into the story so far with the Mu having some kind of role prepared for Ayato.

Episode 12

Interesting episode, though ultimately, a little confusing. The Earth Federation guy and the Drs assistant are having sex as well as whatever else they are upto. Which allows Quin to sneak off and be weird again.

The reporters still meddling and has a picture showing Ayatos mum throwing him through a loop.

Quon and Mishimas scene together is stunning to watch but doesnt make much sense at this point.

The big thing we learnt us that there is a second egg and Quon appears to be attached to it in some way. Though again all the people at the egg site are mysterious or creepy.

I feel like a lot happened but I'm no clearer about any of it just yet.

Back