The General Conversation Area

I've been doing pretty well. I returned to Sheffield last Friday and got through another assignment. Of the five assignments submitted I have results for 2 of them; 70% (1st) for a group project in Project Management and 82% (1st) for a database individual project. Very happy with the results so far. Working on a web project due for Monday but I also have another write-up which is due for the Thursday next week.

Watched Jojo Rabbit and 1917 recently, both were very good. I might check out The Gentlemen but there's also Weathering With You later this week.

I’ve just been working for the most part. Caught up with friends over Christmas but otherwise it’s largely been uneventful. Managing to keep up (mostly) with my reviews on here too which keeps me active from a writing perspective.

Greetings, it’s been a whole long while since I’ve regularly posted, over two years in fact, apart from my odd posting about Fantasy Football here and there.

In that time I’ve started a Job as a Support Worker which became full-time after a few months of being relief. Started Health & Social Care Level 3 Diploma which I’m just a few units away from completing. Also finally took the plunge last year in Learning to Drive, passed theory last June and hopefully I will be able to pass my driving test sometime this year.

All that has meant that Anime watching has been significantly down, but I’m hoping to get back on track very soon! Just rescued my old headphones for my TV which I gave to my dad, he weren’t using them so I managed to snag them back yay!

Well done Grav! Lets hope the final 3 come out with the same for you! :)

Jojo Rabbit was great albeit very sad in 2 parts I was not expecting!!!

I'll be doing cinema on my hol as a complex by the marina is only 10 mins walk away and 6.50 EUR! So trying to save stuff now bar Weathering With You and probably David Copperfield as it looks great.

January can be a blurb for some HWR, it tends to be like what I'm living (or trying to) or like you are. I will say my weekdays are me just trying to sleep well tbh, been struggling a lot regardless of the routine for sleep I'm doing.

Hello Laser :) well done on the job and driving lessons!

Oh also, I'm seeing Slipknot tomorrow! See my eclectic taste in full swing mentioning Ludovico before and now these hehe.

Yeah I’ve seen them live before when Korn was supporting. Amazing gig. Behemoth is support and not my cup of tea so skipping them.
I want to see Rammstein. They’re winding me up with just random outdoor arenas now lol

Yeah I’ve seen them live before when Korn was supporting. Amazing gig. Behemoth is support and not my cup of tea so skipping them.
I want to see Rammstein. They’re winding me up with just random outdoor arenas now lol
Korn's a great support for Slipknot. Real Nu Metal gig!

I've seen Rammstein at their Download shows. It is something else to say the least! They go all out.

Hello Laser :) well done on the job and driving lessons!
Thanks @-Danielle- 😊, getting behind the wheel was one of the most daunting things I could think of doing but really surprised myself how well I have taken to it.
Oh also, I'm seeing Slipknot tomorrow! See my eclectic taste in full swing mentioning Ludovico before and now these hehe.
Nice, I’m probably not going to any music-y things this year which is quite sad, hope you have a good time at your live music outings!!

I'll be going to see Brit Floyd at the Hershey Theater in Hershey, PA (of chocolate fame) this coming March. I saw the Aussie Floyd twice at the same venue a year apart, about 4-5 years ago. And I got to see the Roger Waters The Wall concert in Philadelphia shortly before those shows. Can't get enough live Floyd music, ever! 🥰

I wouldn't mind being able to see Rammstein, I'm not a metal guy but I've always liked their stuff.

Last edited:
About the only thing I've ever heard from Rammstein is Du Hast-I've got the english version of it on my hdd and it doesn't have the same punch in english that it does in german.

Does anyone know how long it takes for ups deliver packages to the uk because I ordered the gunsmith cats blue ray last week and it takeing a long time to arrive.

Eh...I think realistically, if you post something on a public online area, you have to expect it can/will be used somewhere else. Whether it's a forum post, a tweet, an Instagram photo, some artwork for someone else to steal and claim as their own or whatever - once you've posted, control of it is out of your hands.

A post I made here on AUKN was printed in Mym's letters page. They didn't ask me if I was OK with it.

One of my tweets was printed in Kerrang once - I saw it when I just happened to buy the magazine that week (which I only do when I like who's on the cover).

The Metro newspaper used one of my tweets in one of their online articles (maybe it was printed too, no idea) - I only found it by Googling my Twitter name one day when I was bored.

I chose to post my comments in a wide open public domain, so I think it would have been a bit unreasonable for me to have been upset about any of it.
You can expect other people to do something, but that doesn't mean you have to engage in it yourself. And I stand by my discouragement of people doing it.

I probably was a bit harsh on @Scavenger there for which I apologise (I don't think you really meant any harm) but it did get to me a bit because I see it as symptomatic of something I really hate about social media and have seen ruin other discussion websites, which is that rather than people having their own opinions or points of view, they start simply linking to other people's posts/tweets/YouTube videos etc. That, to me, is not discussion or debate. All you're doing at that point is moving data around and watching other people respond to it, which I consider almost a form of trolling. Represent your own arguments and have your own opinions, don't just duplicate or share other people's.

The library up the other house is mostly done, I'd say. Me and The Brother have just managed to get his big bookshelves in

20200118_173749.jpg
20200118_173758.jpg

Png.png

Oh but look at that, oh deary me, brother!

Some bandit of some kind, with apparently good taste, has broken into the house and took up space on the shelves!

So sorry this happened, brother

A post I made here on AUKN was printed in Mym's letters page. They didn't ask me if I was OK with it.
Wow, that's really shoddy of them. I guess that speaks of how few of the letters and emails actually sent to them were even fit for printing. I mean, why else would a staffer have to trawl the Internet for content to help fill up a so-called "letters" page?

I'd caution against copy-pasting posts by other people from other forums. Are they okay with you doing this? Personally I wouldn't be particularly happy if my posts were treated in this way, I'd think if someone wanted to post here, they'd do so themselves.
I had something vaguely similar happen a while back. I had one of my posts on this forum copy/pasted into another with (misspelled) credit. There was no credit for AUKN, though, nor was there a link to the original post. I was only informed of all this by the user in question after the fact.

I guess my own take on this is that I'm all for quoting a source to add to a discussion (in fact, I did so pretty liberally here during last year's Evangelion simulwatch), but I will always link to that source so that a reader can have a look over it themselves and make up their own mind. That way, if, for example, they feel that I'm misrepresenting the info I'm quoting, they can challenge me on that, and so the debate can continue.

Perhaps I'm commenting on information here rather than opinion, but then where the borderline between those two actually is is sometimes itself up for debate.

Wow, that's really shoddy of them. I guess that speaks of how few of the letters and emails actually sent to them were even fit for printing. I mean, why else would a staffer have to trawl the Internet for content to help fill up a so-called "letters" page?
I didn't mind at all TBH. The post I made was making gentle fun of a mistake they made and they played along with it, so it was actually pretty funny.

I know one or two members here wrote for them, so I assume one of them saw the post and decided to go with it!

I'm all for quoting a source to add to a discussion (in fact, I did so pretty liberally here during last year's Evangelion simulwatch), but I will always link to that source so that a reader can have a look over it themselves and make up their own mind. That way, if, for example, they feel that I'm misrepresenting the info I'm quoting, they can challenge me on that, and so the debate can continue.
Oh, absolutely. But citing sources is a far cry form the kind of "drop controversial statement, light blue touch-paper and stand back" which, when carried out by individuals, we'd have called "trolling" back in the olden days. But nowadays people can seem to get away with that by being one step removed and instead dropping a link to someone else's controversial or incendiary opinion, or offering such instead of their own argument. It's got to the point where that's become normal accepted behaviour on the internet now, like people don't need to have opinions or make their own arguments when they can just use other people's. I blame social media and its "sharing".

I know one or two members here wrote for them
Ah, okay. Cool. I didn't know that.

(Though you'd think, technically, that would've made it even easier to just quickly check before committing to using it. Just thinking out loud.)

citing sources is a far cry form the kind of "drop controversial statement, light blue touch-paper and stand back" which, when carried out by individuals, we'd have called "trolling" back in the olden days
Indeed so, and I think this kind of comes back to something that came up in that cosplay debate we came across before: intention.

In this case, it's the difference between expressing an opinion despite it being controversial — for example, to try to bring attention to an issue needing addressing — and expressing an opinion because it's controversial — just for the sake of causing shock or offence, without having any actual end purpose. The latter of those is very much a troll's mentality.

Thankfully, I don't actually read very much Internet myself, so I largely avoid the trolling.

I think I am going through anime burn out again... I hit comic book burn out a few years ago and now that passion has completely gone worried the same might happen to anime so that's why I have decided to stop watching new things now deciding I'll just re watch a series I own once a while to try and keep that drive there, guess not do the same mistakes when it came to comic books. Stopped discussions because less you talk about something the less it'll be on your mind (which is why I haven't posted here in a while).

It's crazy cuz I few years I used to be super pumped for all cb films, watch all cb shows and read comics monthly but now I do none of that.

Back