General anime thoughts/discussion thread.

A girl who likes like a child but usually is quite old Shinobu from Monogatari is one as she looks about 10 but is 600 years old
I’ve heard the term Lolibaba to describe that sort of character-one who looks like a child but is actually much older.

large piloted robot fights.
This is all I watched Mobile Suit: Gundam Wing for - the rest of it really is a big political mess of so many different characters and organisations that I just can't seem to get my head around. Maybe @Neil.T can help me understand it more someday! 😅

Plus, I liked Relena - Heero Yui's "threats" never seemed to faze her! 😜

Last edited by a moderator:
This is all I watched Mobile Suit: Gundam Wing for - the rest of it really is one big geo-political headache that I just can't seem to get my head around.

I'm just the opposite - I dislike mecha themselves immensely, but love the political drama - that's one of my favorite genre in anime.

I wish there were more anime that delved into political turmoil, like an anime equivalent of The West Wing or House of Cards.

I guess by virtue of not having much interest in politics, I'm bound to find that aspect rather...well... boring! 😅

While the animation of it looks quite shonky, I do find the overall style has a classic appeal to it. It's not brilliant, by any stretch, but it's just got that gritty look to it that I do like.

I love machines and am an incurable political junkie, so I can't imagine not liking both. I look forward immensely to the day Donald Trump and Kim Jong Un can finish this like men, smashing the hell out of each other in giant humanoid mechanical suits. Or possibly more likely, when Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk race to create the first giant robot suit and then proceed to fight it out for control of the world.
I wish there were more anime that delved into political turmoil, like an anime equivalent of The West Wing or House of Cards.
I always thought GitS: SAC did a pretty good job of the way it portrays politics and bureaucracy. Can't honestly think of much else though.

I guess by virtue of not having much interest in politics, I'm bound to find that aspect rather...well... boring! 😅

While the animation of it looks quite shonky, I do find the overall style has a classic appeal to it. It's not brilliant, by any stretch, but it's just got that gritty look to it that I do like.
I mean, if we're talking Wing specifically it was 95/96 so that is fairly old now. I think it's held up well considering.

I'm fond of Gundam if not enamoured with it, but I always have trouble watching particularly the older ones because I feel a lot goes unsaid or implied... which I'm not always good at picking up on. It makes character motivations and logic a bit inscrutable at times.

A good political aspect to an anime is great. It's just not very common.

I mean, if we're talking Wing specifically it was 95/96 so that is fairly old now. I think it's held up well considering.

I'm fond of Gundam if not enamoured with it, but I always have trouble watching particularly the older ones because I feel a lot goes unsaid or implied... which I'm not always good at picking up on. It makes character motivations and logic a bit inscrutable at times.

A good political aspect to an anime is great. It's just not very common.

Indeed, this is why I find it quite a feat considering. It's not used any CGI, and there's a lot going on in it.

I think that's potentially an issue I have. I'm not great at picking up on hints or ambiguous implications. I guess it's one reason why I generally find anime pretty hard to get into as a medium - I'm just more interested in the aesthetics of these kinds of things, rather than reading too deep into the show's intended messages.

I guess it explains why Pokémon is a fave - it's sweet and simple! 😅👍

I love machines and am an incurable political junkie, so I can't imagine not liking both. I look forward immensely to the day Donald Trump and Kim Jong Un can finish this like men, smashing the hell out of each other in giant humanoid mechanical suits. Or possibly more likely, when Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk race to create the first giant robot suit and then proceed to fight it out for control of the world.

I always thought GitS: SAC did a pretty good job of the way it portrays politics and bureaucracy. Can't honestly think of much else though.
Yeah that was an example I thought of and to a lesser extent Psycho-Pass. Those are science fiction though and it’d be nice to see more politically driven narratives sans the futuristic elements.

Yeah that was an example I thought of and to a lesser extent Psycho-Pass. Those are science fiction though and it’d be nice to see more politically driven narratives sans the futuristic elements.
I think a lot of anime go into political philosophy but less actual political manoeuvring. Psycho Pass being one such example. Although the actual quality of that philosophy is another matter in a lot of cases.
What? 1995 is old poor Evangelion. The early 2000s anime are the ones that haven't held up how much changes they had to do for SEED HD.
Yeah, sorry, that's kinda what I mean. A lot of famous mid-90s ones hold up well in comparison to some of the more recent ones.

Animation's a very visual medium though, and that sort of thing's not exactly visually interesting. Animation's also not great at handling things like subtle body language and facial expressions the way live actors can, which matters a lot when the "action" is just taking place in nondescript rooms. Probably why House of Cards could demand my attention but LotGH sent me to sleep.

This is all I watched Mobile Suit: Gundam Wing for - the rest of it really is a big political mess of so many different characters and organisations that I just can't seem to get my head around. Maybe @Neil.T can help me understand it more someday! 😅
I think that kind of stuff in stories is my weak point too, so we could be screwed there!

On a related point, this is why I've never been a big Ghost in the Shell fan either: I just find it too complex to be actually entertaining. It's why I've seen the two highlights movies of Stand Alone Complex but haven't delved into it any further: I couldn't really imagine devoting that much time to sitting through 52 episodes of it. (As well as the fact I've just never found the franchise's characters very interesting, perhaps the Major herself especially — at least in anime form. I'd probably like the version of her from Masamune Shirow's original manga better, where she was more of a mischievous rabble-rouser, before Mamoru Oshii seemingly forever changed her into the rather po-faced individual seen in subsequent outings.)

The more fantastical, broadbrush "politics" of Code Geass seem to be about my limit. That's got giant robots in it too! 😄

@~AyaMachi~: Did I ever mention that the robots in DARLING in the FRANXX and Gurren Lagann are also all hand-drawn? 😉

Back