The General Conversation Area

I've just been watch in a mother blackbird feeding her chick and she is literally the epitome of the frazzled mum - her wing feathers are bent like zig-zags at the ends, she's missing some tail feathers, and she has what must be the avian equivalent of bags under her eyes.

Yeah, definitely no kids for me! πŸ˜ƒ πŸ˜„ πŸ˜…

I've just been watch in a mother blackbird feeding her chick and she is literally the epitome of the frazzled mum - her wing feathers are bent like zig-zags at the ends, she's missing some tail feathers, and she has what must be the avian equivalent of bags under her eyes.

Yeah, definitely no kids for me! πŸ˜ƒ πŸ˜„ πŸ˜…
Poor bird. Maybe you should help her look after her kids and yknow just help her out a bit so she gets less frazzled. :p

Poor bird. Maybe you should help her look after her kids and yknow just help her out a bit so she gets less frazzled. :p
Yeah, I'm gonna not - I don't fancy cleaning up bird poop and wiping messy beaks! πŸ˜„ πŸ˜… πŸ˜†

Besides, she has a Mr Blackbird to help her out!

Don't know what you're missing. There's something so rewarding about changing a nappy. Plus there's the excitement of whether they'll poop or pee on you before you get the clean nappy on πŸ˜€
*Wheeeze* πŸ˜„ πŸ˜… πŸ˜†

Oh don't get me wrong dude, I know it can be a truly rewarding experience, but unfortunately, that's not enough for me - I'm far too selfish, and I've known for as long as I can remember that it's just something I'm not mentally (or emotionally) cut out for.

I mean, it's unfortunate as well that I all too often see the "bad side" of parenting - parents ignoring their little ones whilst swiping on their b****y phones; parents just shouting and yelling constantly at their kids instead of, you know, actually talking to them and engaging with them. Good parents raise good kids; it's as simple as that, and I know that there are good parents out there as well (yourself included), but it's not enough to make me want to buy into parenthood. It's b****y hard work, and it's something I just know I couldn't commit to, no matter how much people say "you don't know until you have your own". Thankfully @Neil.T is of the same opinion, and I'm lucky really that I've finally met someone who is on the same page as me regarding this issue, since it's not exactly something you can compromise on. I just...have no maternal urges whatsoever! πŸ˜„ πŸ˜… πŸ˜†

*Wheeeze* πŸ˜„ πŸ˜… πŸ˜†

Oh don't get me wrong dude, I know it can be a truly rewarding experience, but unfortunately, that's not enough for me - I'm far too selfish, and I've known for as long as I can remember that it's just something I'm not mentally (or emotionally) cut out for.

I mean, it's unfortunate as well that I all too often see the "bad side" of parenting - parents ignoring their little ones whilst swiping on their b****y phones; parents just shouting and yelling constantly at their kids instead of, you know, actually talking to them and engaging with them. Good parents raise good kids; it's as simple as that, and I know that there are good parents out there as well (yourself included), but it's not enough to make me want to buy into parenthood. It's b****y hard work, and it's something I just know I couldn't commit to, no matter how much people say "you don't know until you have your own". Thankfully @Neil.T is of the same opinion, and I'm lucky really that I've finally met someone who is on the same page as me regarding this issue, since it's not exactly something you can compromise on. I just...have no maternal urges whatsoever! πŸ˜„ πŸ˜… πŸ˜†
It is hard work, but also the most rewarding experience. Having my daughter is probably the only good thing I've ever done. And as for having no maternal urges, my ex had no maternal feelings at all for the first 5 years of our relationship. Then one day, ping, and she wanted a baby. You just never know.

Having my daughter is probably the only good thing I've ever done.
I'm sure that's not true, you're a good bloke in my books! πŸ™‚ πŸ‘

Nah, trust me, there's no swaying my decision. There was even a point in my life where I did seriously consider it (years ago when my then best friend had her child), but even then, I ultimately came back round to the very conclusion I'm at now: it's just not for me. I do believe that some are cut out for it, and other's not so much. I definitely fall into the latter camp πŸ˜…

It's not only that, but I do have my own personal reasons, which I did briefly hint at by mentioning that I'm just far too selfish. I've bloomed quite late on in life, and I feel like I'm only just really starting to live my life again, in a much more...confident and "happier" way than I've been used to. My own childhood is a period I'd all but like to forget, so I almost feel that, well, if we're only here once, I might as well live life the way I want to, doing stuff that makes me happy. Added to the fact that the past couple of years have been less than great, and I've battled through bouts of depression, as well as trying to hold down various jobs (some of which I've failed miserably at). I'm lucky in that I've had no pressure from family to have children as well - I've only openly admitted it to my Grandmother (who I know I can trust with this stuff), but even my own parents tell me to just "do what makes you happy".

Last edited by a moderator:
Back