Three waifus! which one is your favorite?

which one you like?

• A

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • B

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • C

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters
Okay, so curiosity got the better of me and I did a searchy thing...

What is a Waifu? [Definition, Meaning]
At least they got the origin right. A lot of the "rules" are nonsense though. The fact the term ever left the imageboards in question is itself cause for concern (just like a lot of things that have left those imageboards and made their way into social media and real life that never really should have). Letting ordinary people on the internet was a mistake.

Oh, and C.

At least they got the origin right. A lot of the "rules" are nonsense though. The fact the term ever left the imageboards in question is itself course for concern (just like a lot of things that have left those imageboards and made their way into social media and real life that never really should have). Letting ordinary people on the internet was a mistake.

Oh, and C.
I was just genuinely curious as to what it all meant; I guess it's something that's more prevalent in Otaku culture? I mean, I consider myself a Japanophile in that I'm interested in certain aspects of the culture (art, folklore, language and just general social stuff), but I'm not so familiar with the deeper aspects of their popular culture (and to be honest I don't really want to be).

@~AyaMachi~ waifu: the animation. Aya spends her time posting on chats, pop culture & subculture forums until :eek:shock! She discovers that she's much like YouTube's aichan! A virtual waifu! Will she find the real life geek/otaku who loves her just the way she is?
Crunchyroll (sub) Funimation (dub)

I do use the term waifu, but more comically, and it changes for me by season, this season for lack of things I've picked up with a female driving force it would be zero two, though what I'd call waifu might just be closer to Best Girl
As for pouring my feelings into a character? Nah, I appreciate something trying to create an emotional response but I don't feel involved with the characters like that, it's almost as if someone who does that has a poor sense of reality

As for pouring my feelings into a character? Nah, I appreciate something trying to create an emotional response but I don't feel involved with the characters like that, it's almost as if someone who does that has a poor sense of reality
Yeah, I find anime characters hard to really empathise with anyway, just because quite often they're not really created as archetypes with universal traits, or they're just generally too two dimensional and lack any real depth. I mean there are characters that I like, but I don't find myself connecting with them in the same way I connect or relate to Disney/Pixar/Dreamworks characters.

That's the thing, I think some people are kind of lost in this false sense of reality. These characters are real to them, and they don't see otherwise. I appreciate that we all need to escape from time to time, and entertainment such as anime provides such a route, especially when you consider all the different niches and styles out there; there's something for everyone. However, some people really do become very...engrossed on an unhealthy level, in my opinion...

Yeah, I find anime characters hard to really empathise with anyway, just because quite often they're not really created as archetypes with universal traits, or they're just generally too two dimensional and lack any real depth. I mean there are characters that I like, but I don't find myself connecting with them in the same way I connect or relate to Disney/Pixar/Dreamworks characters.
Maybe it depends what it is that you're watching, but my experience is absolutely the opposite. The majority of mass-market media western characters seem pretty vapid to me compared to a lot of anime characters. Probably not the ones in the harem and the shonen action shows, but Japan at least makes a certain amount of animation targeted at an older audience that can cope with more complex characters and the west... really doesn't.
That's the thing, I think some people are kind of lost in this false sense of reality. These characters are real to them, and they don't see otherwise. I appreciate that we all need to escape from time to time, and entertainment such as anime provides such a route, especially when you consider all the different niches and styles out there; there's something for everyone. However, some people really do become very...engrossed on an unhealthy level, in my opinion...
Can you really blame people when reality (well not necessarily physical reality itself, I mean that's generally quite beautiful, but the reality of say, having to exist in a society you had no real say in creating with other people who buy into it) is so crap?

Maybe it depends what it is that you're watching, but my experience is absolutely the opposite. The majority of mass-market media western characters seem pretty vapid to me compared to a lot of anime characters. Probably not the ones in the harem and the shonen action shows, but Japan at least makes a certain amount of animation targeted at an older audience that can cope with more complex characters and the west... really doesn't.

Can you really blame people when reality (well not necessarily physical reality itself, I mean that's generally quite beautiful, but the reality of say, having to exist in a society you had no real say in creating with other people who buy into it) is so crap?
I kind of feel the same way with some anime, and particularly with western shows sometimes adopting a "need" for more "diverse" characters, some of those characters are good while others seem to be there to tick boxes, identity first and character second, anime/manga rarely does this and some of the writers in japan take more time to develop the characters before writing the plot, where we've had many things in the west where the plot is there before any of the characters, it makes the actors seem disconnected to their characters and the audience disconnected to their characters too, and it may be time constraints. western shows can last an hour but have a multitude of plot threads but anime and some western animation is usually 20 minutes and has a main plot (a main arc in the case of a lot of anime) and a B plot. makes the characters and the plots easier to follow

and yes, sometimes life is crap, my job is awful, I've never had a romantic or meaningful relationship and in that feel less mature than anyone else, but hey lots of people make lots of awesome stuff and not much really stops you from trying either ^.^ like a car it only takes one thing; a good drive!

Admitedly my knowledge on anime isn't as vast as many of you here, and I'm just stating opinions based on what I've seen. For me I appreciate anime more as a form of art, and I'm pretty picky about shows I want to watch anyway. I think since coming to this forum, I've realised I'm perhaps not as "enthusiastic" as many of you are on here about anime, but that said, there are certain things I would like to check out for sure; I'm just not "proactively" seeking things to watch, and anything I come across or hear about is likely to come from recommendations here or from me just accidentally finding out about it whilst searching for something else (usually art stuff). Yuri On Ice!!! was a massive let down for me, and whilst I know that I shouldn't be put off by that, I'm definitely someone who knows what she likes and what she doesn't like; there are genres and animation styles I'm just outright not interested in, and something really has to appeal to me visually for me to even want to find out more about it in the first place. As for characters in anime, I've found many to be either overly-annoying, or a bit too outlandish to really relate to on a personal level. There may be certain traits or qualities I can relate to, but overall, I find it harder to gel with anime characters, for sure.

Personally I'd say that comes across as being quite cynical, because trust me, I've been there and done that; I know just how crap life can be, and for me, 2017 was a year I'd quite frankly wish to write-off and not even acknowledge it's existence. I'm an artist, and I often use art as a form of escapeism from reality, but as a pragmatist, I have to be practical and face problems head on instead of just burying my head in the sand. Whilst it can help us cope with life's difficulties, anime/manga itself doesn't solve problems, only we can do that ourselves, but we need to have the right mentality - only we can choose to do something about our situations. I used to be really cynical and pessemistic about many things, and suffering for years with anxiety and depression didn't help. Added to that I was diagnosed with pernicious anaemia a few years ago, and whilst by comparison, it's not as serious as many other conditions out there, it does affect me. For the most part though, I don't let it get me down, and despite the fact I know not what the future will bring regarding jobs, relationships, and other general stuff, I feel that being practical and realistic, coupled with a dose of optimism works for me!

Ultimately, I've learned to just live in the moment, and deal with stuff as it happens. I'm one person, and I can't change the world, and I'm only here once, so instead of trying to worry too much about the bigger problems like poverty, global warming et al, I'm just going to do my best whilst I'm here and then expire knowing I've lived life to the best of my ability.

hey lots of people make lots of awesome stuff and not much really stops you from trying either ^.^ like a car it only takes one thing; a good drive!
I agree with this statement @Captaaainuniverse . There's lots of crap in the world for sure, but we only have to look for the good stuff; it is there!

I'm perhaps not as "enthusiastic" as many of you are on here about anime
:eek: get 'er!

I'm still cynical and pessimistic, but sometimes like to put it in my humour, maybe it's because I've felt quite alone for years, maybe I just am that way regardless, but as my brother said, and I think my late mum came up with it if you don't laugh you'll cry which I do understand, I'm just conflicted sometimes, as things usually don't change unless you've put all your effort into something that might make a difference, and well although I do feel like I don't have much skill in anything when I do try I feel better for it - could be finally finding something rare, could be writing something, anything close to feeling I've moved forward towards something.
for many on forums/in communities like this it is one of their favourite forms of escapism, I do pick up some recommends like some websites saying which ones are the most popular and that, but usually I find over the years I've stumbled into some of my favourites, and yea, some anime is pretty, it shows how much work the animators put into it.
don't really know how to end this part of the response so I'm just going to say, as someone who hasn't been diagnosed with anything (that I know of) do I think I have depression? nope, not like some other people have it. do I have anxiety? probably, I'm just not very good around people

It sounds a bit selfish, and I do think there are many things in the world that are inherently selfish acts, but I'm an atheist and a nihilist, the only true value in life is the value you give your life

As for characters in anime, I've found many to be either overly-annoying, or a bit too outlandish to really relate to on a personal level.
Well I think a lot of people find me a bit too outlandish to relate to on a personal level, so that might be it.

Without getting too deep into all this Aya (and in such a dumb thread to boot) I do actually agree with pretty much everything you wrote there. But even if I against all odds manage to solve every last one of my own personal issues, there are always going to be things beyond my control in the world to make me miserable, mainly unavoidable conflict with other people, due to the fact other people are presumably going to continue to exist and I'm not yet wealthy enough to buy a private island somewhere to live on completely self sufficiently. So until then it's nice to have fantasy and escapism and I'll probably continue to regard them as superior to real life.

Back